Eat and drink till we drop! An Adults Only Trip! - Updated 12/30 & Completed

I'm here following along! Sounds like a fun trip!

It was a beautiful night. Perfect for just sitting outside.

We ordered some drinks first.

My DH would love that monkey mug! Do they sell these like that do at Trader Sam's?

Hard Water? I wasn't completely sure if it was alcoholic or not when I ordered it. But I figured it would be cold non the less.
Hard Water
M.I.A. Beer Company HRD WTR Pineapple Coconut Hard Sparkling Water
This was good, Andy said it tasted like it had alcohol in it but I am still not sure... It was only $4. I feel like it had to be non-alcholic if it was that price point. Anyone know?

I drink a lot of hard seltzer…we have a few different kinds around here, but my favorite is Truly. I can't have sugary drinks and these have no sugar and like 1 gram of carbs. Oh, and they are spiked :thumbsup2

With our plan, in place, Andy and I slowly walked towards Africa. We checked out the booths as we walked. But nothing caught our eye. We eventually made it to Africa and found @pepperandchips!

And all I can say is Melinda is Fantastic! Along with her mother and DH! We had a nice chat under the shaded area. (See also, where kids bang on drums!) But seriously, it was so great to stop and talk with them. And Melinda.... came with gifts!!!! What did I bring... nothing... I am terrible, and clearly need to up my game. I mean both dis meets so far, I have been gifted things, and I have been empty handed.

ANYWAY, Melinda made and gave me some awsome Food & Wine Ears! I was so surprised and super excited about them.

Great photo! I love the ears she made for you!

When we got back to our room we found this little guy.
Frog on Window
Just waiting for us to come home! Wasn't that nice?

Spoiler Alert: That poor frog met his demise the next day. I found him squished on the ground. Someone probably didn't even see him.

Aw, poor thing!

Today we planned to go to Hollywood Studios in the morning. The girls have refused to ride Tower of Terror, so that was one of our goals for the day!

Adult only trips are a great way to do things the kids won't do!

We inched closer and closer. And they finally made an announcement that some of the elevators were down. They were only running a couple at the moment. Ok, at least it was still working....

I think that's a normal thing on TOT.

So, what did we think? It was fun for sure! But we have ridden Guardian of the Galaxy ride out in Disneyland, and that one is SOOOOOOOO fun! It kind of took away from this ride,

That's surprising! I thought most people liked TOT more!

Andy and I used to live in Boston, and we were there for the Big Dig... But I just had to laugh at how they are kind of protraying Boston. it seems kind of gross and seedy. And I know it used to be more like that. But not so much any more.

I didn't even know that was based on Boston? I remember that Big Dig…what a mess!

We decided we would just try and soak in the land, but save all the fun for when we were back with the girls.

You're WAY nicer than we are! Mike and I just got back from an adults only trip and we did EMM at TSL! I can't wait to go back with my kids though!

We got to talk only for a tiny bit, as she had extended family with her, who were not intrested in standing around. But we did get to chat. We talked about how they were liking Pop so far.

Two awesome Dismeets!

Just found your report today and have enjoyed catching up. Sounds like a great adults trip! Food and Wine is my favorite time of year but the heat early on and finding some shade can be a challenge.

My DH would love that monkey mug! Do they sell these like that do at Trader Sam's?
Sadly they don't. I guess when they first opened they were going to sell the cups but I don't think they ever did.

I didn't even know that was based on Boston? I remember that Big Dig…what a mess!
I have been corrected, it is Hollywood. But it does look like the big dig back in the day.

Just found your report today and have enjoyed catching up. Sounds like a great adults trip! Food and Wine is my favorite time of year but the heat early on and finding some shade can be a challenge.
Welcome!!!! I also found that the lack of places to sit really tires you out!

Aw, I hope you feel better! We just put up our tree today--I love Christmas and all the lights and decorations. :)

It was good. I mean, it was surrounded with butter croissant and garlic sauce. Actually the garlic sauce on the outside was really tasty! Really the escargot could have been just about anything in there.
I agree--a croissant with buttery garlic sauce? Yum! The escargot was just there...though I did eventually just eat around it. Why waste stomach space when all I really wanted was the croissant and garlic?

Bummer about spilling some of your flight :(

Got here just in time to catch things as you get closer to the end!! Not sure how I missed out on it earlier, but better late than never!!

It sounds like you guys had a great trip without the girls - you're nicer than I am, I wouldn't have skipped the TSL rides to wait for the kids :rotfl::rotfl:

DH and I are hoping to go back alone next year for Food and Wine, too. I've only ever been last October with my mom, and I know he and I would have a more relaxing time. I was constantly worried about my mom and if she felt ok. When mom and I went, it was hot and I didn't want to eat very much...I'd like to have some kind of weather miracle and catch it around 65 degrees. I know that's an unattainable dream, LOL.

Looking forward to what's next!!

We put up our tree on Friday and hopefully we are getting our outdoor decorations up today. We have tickets to see Wreck-It Ralph 2 this afternoon. Gwen is SUPER excited about that!
Hope you all enjoyed Wreck it Ralph. We saw it (in fact Casey's seen it twice already) and loved it!!!! Love when they can seamlessly blend kid and adult humor.

There was an asian family that got on the boat, and the younger woman had on a full on Black Velvet Evening Gown..... WITH Sleeves! I am not sure how she was going to survive the heat in that outfit. Everyone else in her group was very casual, shorts and t-shirts. Maybe she had a big date with someone, who knows, but it was WAY too HOT for that dress.
???????????? A. how did you not get a picture of this and B. What????????????? Maybe she was disney bounding as Jafar :P

He agreed that it was def cool and the girl would def enjoy it! And we walked over to the International Gateway, THIS may have been what swayed him to my summer trip plans. He LOVED coming into EPCOT this way. (so did I) It was a first for us.
Being able to get to 2 parks so easily certainly has its advantages. We ended up liking Boardwalk more than beach club - which surprised me -but both are great!

https://flic.kr/p/NfGuWc
Are you sure there is escargot in there. Just looks like green bread to me :P

Casey tried them in New York earlier this year and really liked them. We didn't tell her what it was until after she tried it, but she went right back in. There was a table right next to us who was dying laughing at the whole thing. Here is her face when we told her what it is.
IMG_5233.jpg

Pear Cider in England
Andy was just going to get a Bass from the Fish and Chips cart, but I told him to walk down with me to the next little stand. And there they had the Pear Cider that I have been meaning to try.
Yum! This sounds like it would be right up my alley

Corned Beef

Smoked Corned Beef with Warm Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions and Blonde Ale Beer Fondue featuring BelGioioso® Romano and American Grana Cheeses
Oh we had this last year and it was one of my favorite items. After day 4 of thanksgiving leftovers I could go for this right about now.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you guys had a great trip without the girls - you're nicer than I am, I wouldn't have skipped the TSL rides to wait for the kids :rotfl::rotfl:
It wasn't that hard to do, since we booked the trip so late, there was no way we were getting a fast pass for it. And I didn't want to wait 90 plus mintues for it. So, it was an easy win for the girls.

When mom and I went, it was hot and I didn't want to eat very much...I'd like to have some kind of weather miracle and catch it around 65 degrees. I know that's an unattainable dream, LOL.
We did say that we wanted to go a little bit later so that it would hopefully be cooler.

Hope you all enjoyed Wreck it Ralph. We saw it (in fact Casey's seen it twice already) and loved it!!!!
Oh... poor Gwen. Wreck-It Ralph is one of her favorite movies and she had been waiting for so long to see the movie, that she built it up. She was VERY disapointed. :( Poor gal. She may or may not have cried in the car.

???????????? A. how did you not get a picture of this and B. What????????????? Maybe she was disney bounding as Jafar :P
It was one of those instances where if I had taken a picture, it would have been OBVIOUS.:(

Casey tried them in New York earlier this year and really liked them. We didn't tell her what it was until after she tried it, but she went right back in. There was a table right next to us who was dying laughing at the whole thing. Here is her face when we told her what it is.
img_5233-jpg.366909
I missed this photo the first time I read your comments. I love it!!! Casey's palate still amazes me!

Oh we had this last year and it was one of my favorite items. After day 4 of thanksgiving leftovers I could go for this right about now.
[/QUOTE]
Ugh! I am so over leftovers!

Yes! I love this too and sometimes go out of my way to go in via this entrance. My dream is to stay at one of the Epcot resorts for this very reason :thumbsup2
I am really hoping that we can stay at the Beach Club next August. Fingers crossed!

I did hear the lady next to me ask what Escargot was...If you didn't know what it was, that would be quet the shook!

:rotfl2:

Smoked Corned Beef with Warm Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions and Blonde Ale Beer Fondue featuring BelGioioso® Romano and American Grana Cheeses

We shared the Corned Beef. Which I REALLY liked. It was really flavorful. I probably could have drank the cheese sauce that was on top of it. And I am a sucker for crunchy chips.

Now that sounds awesome! I'd be all over that one.

Always wanted to try the Food & Wine booths. Maybe someday...

Hi Ariella! :wave2: I'm all caught up, I'm really enjoying your Food and Wine posts :cloud9: I haven't been to F&W since 2016 since we've opted for Jan/Feb 2018 and 19, but you're making me want to return in Autumn! Anyway, great report so far, I'm following along :goodvibes

I loved the rooms. I know some people don't like the hard wood floors but they feel like you can walk on them bare foot and not be grosses out

Just a quick question about this that I always ask people! Could you hear the footsteps from the room above? I quite like the look of the hardwood floors but I worry about being underneath a family with 2/3 young kids running around and the noise being really loud compared to the carpeted rooms! :confused3

Hi Everyone!

I am sorry that I haven't been updating, December is just crazy for me! It's hard to keep up! We decided not to go to NYC today, so we are making cookies and hopefully I can come back here and do another post!

I can't wait to do F&W with DH next year! I think he's going to enjoy all of the different beers to try!
You guys will def like F&W!

Hi Ariella! :wave2: I'm all caught up, I'm really enjoying your Food and Wine posts :cloud9:
Welcome! Glad you made it over!

Just a quick question about this that I always ask people! Could you hear the footsteps from the room above? I quite like the look of the hardwood floors but I worry about being underneath a family with 2/3 young kids running around and the noise being really loud compared to the carpeted rooms! :confused3
We were on the second floor, so we didn't have anyone above us. We didn't hear anyone on the sides of us. So, that really wasn't that helpful.

Hi Everyone!

I am sorry that I haven't been updating, December is just crazy for me! It's hard to keep up! We decided not to go to NYC today, so we are making cookies and hopefully I can come back here and do another post!

No problem! I'm in the very same boat. Everyone will still be here waiting for you whenever you have the time.

I am very late joining in, but here now! I love that you went on a trip with just your husband. I've been trying to convince mine we should go to Disney for our 10th anniversary next year, but no luck so far :) I think one of our concerns is how mad the girls would be if we went without them haha! It sounds like your girls handled that just fine though?

We had a reservation at Morimoto Asia for dinner tonight. I had met up with a friend from college the weekend before we left and turns out that her husband, who is an architect, designed Morimoto Asia! How cool is that?!?

That is very cool! I've never been there but it looks beautiful from the pictures.

Moonshine Mash
Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup

I love this drink. It is soooo good. I highly recommend it. The moonshine is very smooth and not alchol-y

I kind of wish I had tried a moonshine drink while we were at Homecomin'! I wasn't sure whether I would like the taste of moonshine so I went with a "safer" option. I'm glad to hear it's not too alcohol-y, maybe I will try it next time!

So, we decided NOT to wait as we def did NOT want to miss Haunted Mansion. (Gwen HATES this ride and refuses to ride). So usually Morgan gets to go twice with each parent.

My daughter has informed me she will NEVER ride the Haunted Mansion again. I'm very sad about that. But glad to hear you can still make it work with rider swap!

The girls also, told us we were allowed to go and see Toy Storyland but we were under strict orders to NOT RIDE ANYTHING without them. As there was pretty much no way we were getting fastpasses, we said OK.

You are nicer parents than I would have been :-D I guess not having FPs would help, but to be right there and not get on SDD?!

So, what did we think? It was fun for sure! But we have ridden Guardian of the Galaxy ride out in Disneyland, and that one is SOOOOOOOO fun!

What are the differences at Guardian of the Galaxy? I've only ever ridden TOT so I'm a big fan, but I have nothing to compare it to!

No problem! I'm in the very same boat
I know! Did you finish classes yet?

Ugh December is just bananas! Its definitely hard to keep up on everything!
Right? And I am insane to think that next year we will be going to Disney around now. It will make even next year even crazier.

I am very late joining in, but here now! I love that you went on a trip with just your husband. I've been trying to convince mine we should go to Disney for our 10th anniversary next year, but no luck so far :) I think one of our concerns is how mad the girls would be if we went without them haha! It sounds like your girls handled that just fine though?
Go now! They are young enough that they won't really be able to really be mad, and then they will think it is "normal" And I was really worried that the girls would be really mad, but they took it pretty well. I did pose it that we were doing things that they don't want to do. Like literally just eat food in EPCOT.

I kind of wish I had tried a moonshine drink while we were at Homecomin'! I wasn't sure whether I would like the taste of moonshine so I went with a "safer" option. I'm glad to hear it's not too alcohol-y, maybe I will try it next time!
I feel like all of the drinks at Homecomin are all pretty strong and good!

My daughter has informed me she will NEVER ride the Haunted Mansion again. I'm very sad about that. But glad to hear you can still make it work with rider swap!
It is def manageable, but it does eat into your time. Sometimes, just one of us goes and take the other to do something else. Well, I should say we never do baby swap since they are gtechnically able to ride, so we just do fastpass switch.

You are nicer parents than I would have been :-D I guess not having FPs would help, but to be right there and not get on SDD?!
It def helped that it was so last minute that there was no way we were getting fast passes for Slinky Dog. It was fine, I kind of wanted to expierence with them for the first time, as well.

What are the differences at Guardian of the Galaxy? I've only ever ridden TOT so I'm a big fan, but I have nothing to compare it to!
So, the biggest differenence is Guardians has all of the pop music in it, It feels like a party while you are riding. You still bounce and drop but it is just fun.

Day Two: The Last of Food & Wine

So, I left us off finishing our beer flight. We had sat and relaxed for a bit. We decided to walk across the way to Mouse Gears and do some shopping, since we were planning on heading back to the room to rest in a bit. I wondered around trying to find some items for myself, and a few thank you gifts. But since I was looking for so many things, I ended up not getting anything.

After our shopping, we headed back to the world showcase to get some last food booths before heading back. I wanted to try something from Greece and Andy wanted to try something from the Thai booth. Luckily they weren't too far from each other, so once we were in that general area, we split up and grabbed our options. And met back together to try our treats.

First up is my Taste of Greece
Taste of Greece
Taste of Greece: Chicken Souvlaki, Feta Cheese Dip with Warm Pita and Lamb Sausage with a Dill Tomato Ragu

The feta cheese was really good, the chicken was fine. Not bad but nothing amazing. The Lamb Sausage, I think was really good. It was spiced really well. This was solid. But I am a sucker for feta.

I also order a wine flight, I figured I should have at least one for the trip!
Greece Wine Flight
  • Carl Graff Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese, Mosel
  • J&H Selbach Bernkasteler Kurfürstlay Riesling Kabinett, Mosel
  • Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken, Mosel
I have to be honest, I don't remember anything about these... they were well... wine. I am picky about my wine, so they were good. I actually really liked the little tiny cups. So, I saved them to bring home for the girls.

Andy got Thai Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Thai Chicken
Marinated Chicken with Peanut Sauce and Stir-fried Vegetables
He said it was fine. It wasn't bad but not terrible. Maybe we had just hit our max capacity on food tasting.

We were able to grab a table and eat our food and people watch. Which was nice for our last items. We decided to do a little shopping and grab one last drink on our way out. We grabbed some thank you gifts, popcorn and stuff. And then decided on our last drinks. Andy went with the Pear Cider in England and I decided I needed one more Grand Marnier from France!

Grand Marnier
There was a bit of a line at this point, but it wasn't too bad. I do think I perfer the regular to this year's F&W version.

We made our way out of EPCOT from the World Showcase Entrance/Exit and walked to the Beach Club and into the lobby. Andy again, LOVED this! he called an ubber once we were in the lobby and only waited maybe 5 minutes for it to show up. I def think I sold him on staying her in August of next year!

We got back to the hotel, and the uber driver said he had to drop us off at the lobby. Ugh. So, we had to walk all the way to our room. but we made it, and we rested, took a dip in the pool and just relaxed a bit.

Up next, we head to Magic Kingdom for our last evening. Where would we eat dinner?!?!

The feta cheese was really good, the chicken was fine. Not bad but nothing amazing. The Lamb Sausage, I think was really good. It was spiced really well. This was solid. But I am a sucker for feta.
I too am a sucker for feta. And this dish was yummy, mostly 'cause of the feta. :)

We made our way out of EPCOT from the World Showcase Entrance/Exit and walked to the Beach Club and into the lobby. Andy again, LOVED this! he called an ubber once we were in the lobby and only waited maybe 5 minutes for it to show up. I def think I sold him on staying her in August of next year!
Nice! That convenience to Epcot really can't be beat. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter