Eat at Home 3!

Back from vacay and finished two grocery shopping trips (Aldi's and regular)...
Sat - Pool Party Potluck - Brought a Homemade 5lb Fruit Tray (Cherries, Grapes, Blueberries)
Sun - Meatball Subs with Fresh Mozza Topping, Buttered Corn on the Cob, Raspberries/Strawberries
Mon - Lemon Pepper Baked Chicken Wings, Potatoes Au Gratin, Roasted Cabbage, Blueberries
Tues - Beef, Bean, and Beer Chili, Iceberg Wedge Salads with Tomato and Blue Cheese, Banana Muffins
Wed - Chili Dogs, Baked Fries, Peaches and Raspberries
Thurs - BLTs, Berry Muffins, TBD Fruit
Fri Frozen Pizza and Smoothies (and any extra chili)

Stuck to the plan, except skipped BLTs and made Beef Tacos that day...so I have bacon for this week:)...here's the new plan...

Sat Gen Tso's Boneless Wings, Pizza Bites, Pick Your Own Leftover Fruit (Cherries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Grapes, Bananas)
Sun Bacon Egg & Cheese Bagel Sandwiches, Hashbrown Patties, Cherry and Apricot fruit salad (bananas replacing honeydew) http://www.latimes.com/style/la-fo-cherryrec25c-2008jun25-story.html
Mon Ribeye Steaks, Roasted Mushrooms, Buttered Corn on the Cob, Strawberries
Tues Steak Fajitas, Black Beans, Blueberries and Bananas
Wed Turkey Burgers with Provolone, Dijoinaise, Lettuce, Tomato, and Onion, Baked Onion Rings, Berry Salad
Thurs Western Omelettes (Ham, Peppers, Onions, Tomato, Cheese), Double Blueberry Muffins, Fruit Salad (TBD)
Fri - Fried Eggplant, Tomato, and Fresh Mozza Stacks, Garlic Bread, Fresh Fruit Smoothies

Monday: Grilled chicken, quinoa, corn, black beans, broccoli
Tuesday: Going to a friend's house for 4th of July. We are bringing cookie dough brownies!
Wednesday: I have my workout class. Frozen pizza it n and corn tacos, spanish is!
Thursday: Chili and cornbread
Friday: Leftover chili and some kind of freezer veggie
Saturday: Grilling steak, mashed potatoes, spinach salad
Sunday: Leftovers

Sun - oven baked breaded chicken and salad
Mon - spaghetti
Tues - pies by MIL
Wed - DH making burgers
Thurs - baked beans on toast after we drive home from ILs
Fri - chickpea cutlets
Sat - black bean and slivered beef burritos

Can't wait til we are home, ILs eat meat every night and lots of heavier meals. I've cooked a couple of times but I don't like being fussy when at someone else's house.

Monday: Cheeseburgers (no bun for me), alexa waffle fries
Tuesday: Cheese ravioli with red sauce, cucumber and tomato slices with ranch
Wednesday: I have my workout class. Leftovers
Thursday: Black bean and corn burritos, chips and salsa
Friday: Chicken marinated in Caesar dressing and grilled, avocado pasta salad
Saturday: I won a gift card to Red Robin at work. Going to use that
Sunday: Either leftovers or something easy, like soup and sandwiches

Well we stayed with ILS an extra night so that plan changed

Sun- warm beef and crispy noodle salad
Mon- black bean burritos
Tues- schnitzel night at the pub
Wed- pumpkin or cauliflower soup and grilled cheese
Thurs- beetroot and barley risotto
Fri- meatballs or steamed fish with veg
Sat- chickpea nuggets, ratatouille and mashed potatoes

Menu Plan - Week of 7/9
Sunday - chicken and broccoli over rice
Monday- out to dinner for daughter's b-day
Tuesday - burgers, corn on the cob, yellow squash
Wednesday- pulled pork, okra and roasted potatoes
Thursday - red curry chicken, peas, rice
Friday -grilled chicken Mexican salad

Another week.. another menu

Sunday - we were at a pool party and ate there. Brought a great big fruit tray.
Monday- Pork chops on the BBQ, roasted cauliflower, garden salad
Tuesday- Pasta of some sort
Wednesday- Wraps (beef, taco seasoning, cheese, veggies , sour cream)
Thursday -Hot dogs and chicken burgers on the BBQ, sweet potato fries
Friday- Sunday - visiting relatives out of town.

I have been so bad at this lately. We had a fellow manager quit so I have been working crazy hours. Thankfully it is my last week doing that as our new manager will be in our store next week. I am going to attempt to do better this week with eating at home.

Yesterday I worked 12-6:30 and came home to make steak, mashed sweet potatoes and salad
Today I am off and we had our big meal at lunch, tacos. I have a dinner date with some girlfriends tonight so I am eating out but hopefully it won't be too costly
Tuesday I am off as well so we are having pork chops with potato pancakes, applesauce, and zucchini
Wednesday I work an open to close (9-9:30) so I am making beef stew tomorrow to take with me
Thursday is also an open to close so either more beef stew or salad
Friday I work 10-2 so my plan is burgers with roasted broccoli
Saturday I work 9-5 and my plan is spaghetti with turkey meatballs and salad

So, this might sounds like a dumb question, but I feel comfortable turning to you all with it. I just got a new job that will start at the end of this month. It's full time, more then double my current pay, half the commute, and with benefits. So all in all a much better place to be.

That said... I don't know how to deal with meal planning. I've been working multiple part time jobs which gives me a bit more flexibility overall then this one job will. For the time being, it looks like it will be a Monday through Friday 9-5 deal, but that will most likely change come fall when the store I will be in actually opens.

So those who work full time schedules... how do you do it? How to you plan? How do you deal with working all day and then coming home to eat? What sorts of meals do you do? Do you prep things on your day off?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

I plan based around what we like to eat and what's on sale. My DH is picky, so I have to work around all that too.

For us the motivation is the fact that we enjoy saving money on food by cooking. Takeout/eating out is really pricy. The more we cook, the less tempted we are to go out/get take out. Also it helps with lunches the next day as I can put leftovers in a tupperware and bring to work.

Sometimes H gets off at 3 and sometimes I get off at 4, so that helps too, but I know it's not everyone's situation.

On hand we always have: homemade pasta sauce and meatballs (in the freezer), pasta, frozen vegetables, canned tomatoes, chicken breasts, spices, etc. Having a lot of essentials on hand (and stocking up when cheap-sometimes our Winn Dixie will do 10 for $6 on canned tomatoes, etc) helps a lot because you can work your meals around it.

Also, if you don't have one, get a crockpot. They are a life saver!

I'm planning day by day this week...so far...
Sun - Beef Kielbasa, Leftover Teriyaki Vegetables and Fried Rice, Corny Cornbread
Mon - Beef, Cheddar, and Tomato Enchiladas with Iceberg shreds, Raspberries/Blueberries/Blackberries, Fresh Cherry and Banana Smoothies (it was a fruit fiesta)
Tues - Meatloaf (not sure what style yet), Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Carrots, Diced Mango
Wed - Spiderman Homecoming Family Movie Night:)...I'll make an early dinner...still deciding what:)...
Thurs-Sat TBD

Menu Plan Week of July 15th
Saturday - black bean burgers and sweet potato fries
Sunday - brats, pasta salad, corn/tomato,cucumber salad
Monday - beef stroganoff over egg noodles, peas
Tuesday - stuffed chicken breasts, roasted potatoes, zucchini
Wednesday - pot roast with carrots over grits
Thursday - grilled salmon, rice, grilled veggies (peppers, mushrooms, squash)
Friday - beef enchiladas, black bean/ corn salad, avocado slices

Monday: Slow cooker chicken taco bowls with brown rice https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/07/taco-chicken-bowls/
Tuesday: I have my late night at work. Leftovers at work for me, leftovers at home for H
Wednesday: I have my workout class. Probably just going to do Publix subs
Thursday: Veggie burgers, alexa sweet potato fries
Friday: Chicken fingers, green beans, corn
Saturday: Going to Orlando to see a friend's new baby and then headed to Disney Springs for a bit! So TBD
Sunday: Baked ziti (will freeze half for later), salad

I'm planning day by day this week...so far...
Sun - Beef Kielbasa, Leftover Teriyaki Vegetables and Fried Rice, Corny Cornbread
Mon - Beef, Cheddar, and Tomato Enchiladas with Iceberg shreds, Raspberries/Blueberries/Blackberries, Fresh Cherry and Banana Smoothies (it was a fruit fiesta)
Tues - Meatloaf (not sure what style yet), Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Carrots, Diced Mango
Wed - Spiderman Homecoming Family Movie Night:)...I'll make an early dinner...still deciding what:)...
Thurs-Sat TBD

Let's see - this is where I was and am...
Wed - All-beef hotdogs, Corn on the Cob, Strawberries (and movie popcorn - Spiderman was AWESOME! Take your families:)...
Thurs - Ribeye Steaks, Roasted Green Beans with French Fried Onions, Strawberries/Kiwi, Triple Berry Muffins
Fri - Fried Chicken, Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, More Strawberries/Kiwi
Sat - Leftovers, Mango Smoothies, Peaches/Plums
Sun - Marinated Korean Short Rib (using Crockpot), White Rice, Roasted Eggplant, Strawberries

Rest of week TBD as I look to empty my "big meats" from the freezer - I'm leaning towards a whole chicken or a corned beef and that would become 2-3 meals but we'll see. I hit HMart today and got some amazing produce (and the cheap marinated short rib) - kids want to go back and do a fresh fish day with a crazy cheap fish, but we'll see:)...

EDIT TO ADD: So, I love grocery store competition. We got a new HMart and they have a produce section practically the length of a bowling alley...AND they do "produce picks" like Aldi's...so in addition to getting their Marinated Korean short rib special (which will be the 1st time I make them), I got...
Strawberries $.99/lb
Tomatoes $.69/lb
Blueberries $1.99/pint
Green Leaf Lettuce $.50/head
Red Leaf Lettuce $.50/head
White Radishes with Leaves $.69/bunch
Valencia Oranges 6 for $1
Limes 6 for $1
Onions 3lbs for $1
White Mushrooms $1.29/1/2 lb
Broccoli $.99/lb
(and I threw in Bananas, which were $.59/lb, not the best, but I didn't need to shop anymore)

So, now I have 2 places to go for produce picks, depending if I need more ramen (my girls LOVE the HMart ramen choices) or more pretzel rods (my boys can't live w/o the Aldi ones:)...

Last edited:
Sun- shaved turkey homemade pizzas
Mon- sausages grilled salmon for me) and steamed carrot, broccoli and peas
Tues- quiche
Wed- beans and toast
Thurs- massaman beef in the slow cooker and rice with garlic gai larn
Fri - sweet potato soup
Sat- no idea yet! Will be leftovers if we have any

Let's see - this is where I was and am...
Wed - All-beef hotdogs, Corn on the Cob, Strawberries (and movie popcorn - Spiderman was AWESOME! Take your families:)...
Thurs - Ribeye Steaks, Roasted Green Beans with French Fried Onions, Strawberries/Kiwi, Triple Berry Muffins
Fri - Fried Chicken, Stouffer's Mac and Cheese, More Strawberries/Kiwi
Sat - Leftovers, Mango Smoothies, Peaches/Plums
Sun - Marinated Korean Short Rib (using Crockpot), White Rice, Roasted Eggplant, Strawberries

Rest of week TBD as I look to empty my "big meats" from the freezer - I'm leaning towards a whole chicken or a corned beef and that would become 2-3 meals but we'll see. I hit HMart today and got some amazing produce (and the cheap marinated short rib) - kids want to go back and do a fresh fish day with a crazy cheap fish, but we'll see:)...

EDIT TO ADD: So, I love grocery store competition. We got a new HMart and they have a produce section practically the length of a bowling alley...AND they do "produce picks" like Aldi's...so in addition to getting their Marinated Korean short rib special (which will be the 1st time I make them), I got...
Strawberries $.99/lb
Tomatoes $.69/lb
Blueberries $1.99/pint
Green Leaf Lettuce $.50/head
Red Leaf Lettuce $.50/head
White Radishes with Leaves $.69/bunch
Valencia Oranges 6 for $1
Limes 6 for $1
Onions 3lbs for $1
White Mushrooms $1.29/1/2 lb
Broccoli $.99/lb
(and I threw in Bananas, which were $.59/lb, not the best, but I didn't need to shop anymore)

So, now I have 2 places to go for produce picks, depending if I need more ramen (my girls LOVE the HMart ramen choices) or more pretzel rods (my boys can't live w/o the Aldi ones:)...

Rest of my week
Monday - BLTs, Corn on the Cob, Strawberries/Blueberries
Tuesday - Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb with Fresh Rosemary and Garlic, Red Wine Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Sliced Plums
Wednesday - Sliced Lamb Gyro Bowls (Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Tzatzki) over White Rice, Sliced Peaches
Thursday - Leftover Lamb or Bacon (if any left) Baked Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli, Sliced Oranges
Friday - Frozen Pizza with Added Roasted Veg (Onion, Pepper, Mushroom), Fruit Smoothies
Sat - Fresh Fish Dinner (TBD - kids want to try a crazy one from HMart, so we'll probably do an Asian soup with this)...

Monday- Frozen pizza (VERY late work night for both of us

Tuesday- Egg noodle pasta tossed with butter, black pepper, green onions, and parmesan cheese

Wednesday- Baby spinach salad with chicken

Thursday- Tacos

Friday- Chicago style hot dogs

Sat- Sandwiches (we love homemade deli sandwiches and make sure to always have sandwich fixins' around)

Sunday- Chili at my brothers house

Monday- Lean sirloin burgers, and a giant garden salad. (There will be many salads this week.. I went produce crazy at Costco and one of the things I bought was a four pack of lettuce)

Tuesday-Chicken gyoza, roasted cauliflower , salad with lettuce, strawberries, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds..poppyseed dressing

Wednesday- Cheddar , red pepper and onion omlettes, peameal bacon,toast on 12 grain organic bread ( I bought it because I had a FPC and it's excellent.. so the marketing worked.. I'll buy it again.)

Thursday- Chicken burgers, steamed broccoli , potato/onion packets

Friday -I want soup....I am thinking veggie and orzo soup of some sort, homemade bread, salad. Maybe a creamy potato/carrot instead

Saturday- Chicken sausage from the butcher , baked potatoes, baked zucchini sticks with marinara

Sunday will be dinner out for me at an event . Dh and ds will fend for themselves.

Had to travel again this past week for work training, but home now and shouldn't have another trip for awhile. I went shopping today to get through next week (I got home late yesterday) and am already working on the next 2.5 weeks after that (until Gen Con vacation which will be August 16-20). Will be catching up on the thread for some ideas!

So this week is:
Tonight: Frozen pizza and salad (I am exhausted)
Tomorrow: Asian glazed salmon with rice and broccoli
Saturday: Turkey dinner with roasted turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and roles.
Sunday-Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Spaghetti with garlic bread (might do chicken parmesan, not sure yet)
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Eggs, sausage, and toast

Menu Plan Week of July 22

Saturday - honey mustard chicken salad
Sunday - grilled salmon avocado sandwiches, chips
Monday - chicken and peppers, corn on the cob
Tuesday - meatloaf, mac and cheese, okra
Wednesday- leftovers
Thursday- black bean burritos, sweet potato fries
Friday- eggs, sausage, grits, fruit smoothies

Monday: slow cooker orange chicken, brown rice, green beans
Tuesday: Black bean and cheese enchiladas, chips and salsa
Wednesday: I have my workout class. Leftovers
Thursday: Grilling steak, alexa waffle fries, salad
Friday>Sunday: My parents are in town. TBD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter