Eat at Home 3!

Another week, another menu. This week I am leaving on Thursday to go watch my nephew for the weekend and bringing ds13. Dh will join us on Saturday. My lovely SIL makes up meals for us to eat while we are babysitting at her house, so I don't know what we are having but we won't be eating out.

Saturday- Nachos
Sunday- Pulled pork sandwiches and fruit
Monday- Going to my inlaws for dinner
Tuesday-Seasoned beef wraps (veggies, salsa, cheese, sour cream)
Wednesday- Pork Schnitzel , Green Beans, Salad
Thursday- Something quick before we leave, maybe breakfast for dinner
Friday and Saturday- Dinner at brother and sil's house

Sun- nachos (from leftovers)
Mon- sausages for DH and kids, salmon for me, with steamed broccoli and sweet potato mash
Tues- chickpea cutlets, roast broccoli and oven fries
Wed- slowcocker pot roast
Thurs- beans and rice
Fri- leftovers
Sat- out to dinner (after 2nd last netball game for the season where our team is on the charity grill and then a birthday party, doubt anyone will even feel like eating anyway!)

This past week got all messed up due to changes in my work schedule at the last minute. So the fajitas and salmon had to be moved to a couple of weeks from now. I also have Gen Con starting on Wednesday and will be eating out 2 meals Wednesday through Sunday since I will be downtown ALL day and can only carry so much food on me.

Sunday: At Aunt and Uncle's house

Monday: Teriyaki chicken legs, broccoli, and rice

Tuesday: L/O

Wednesday: GC

Thursday: GC

Friday: GC

Saturday: GC

Sunday: GC

Monday: Chicken/mushroom/pepper/onion fajitas with black beans and rice

Tuesday: L/O

Wednesday: L/O

Thursday: Asian Salmon with rice and vegetables

Friday: Alfredo pasta bake with chicken and peas

Saturday: L/O

I think I have this week planned. We are doing eggs and cereal every morning for breakfast. Lunch will be previous nights leftovers plus easy stuff like salad.

Monday - I have a seven pound massive chicken I am baking. Green beans with garlic.
Tuesday - riced cauliflower, chicken fried "rice" with stir fry veggies.
Wednesday - zucchini nachos
Thursday - sausage crust pizza (making two for planned leftovers)
Friday - leftovers, clean out the fridge
Saturday - spaghetti
Sunday - Big Mac salad

Well this is going to be a bit of a lame week, in that the DD and I are going to be out of town Wednesday through Saturday. Our meals will be provided at the conference we are attending and I have no clue what the boys are going to eat. The house is stocked with food but they like to decide more spur of the moment, so a lot of these days will be unaccounted for, but here we go...

Mon-burgers, tator tots, salad or veggies and dip
Tues-pizza night, veggies and dip
Wed-girls gone, boys on own
Thurs-girls gone, boys on own
Fri-girls gone, boys on own
Sat-something easy, like soup and grilled cheese, pasta or breakfast for dinner as we should be rolling into town around 7 pm
Sun-either BBQ pork chops or chicken breasts (depending on what the boys eat earlier in the week) with broccoli and potato salad

So, I'm a little late, but here goes...
Sun - Spaghetti and Meatballs, Blueberries and Grapes
Mon - Pasta Salad with Fresh Mozza, Strawberries for kids - Quick date night to celebrate our 18th anniversary (with real celebration Friday) - Banh Mis, Vietnamese Iced Coffees, and Beignets (cost under $20 total for 2 - SO good!)
Tues - Corned Beef, Sauteed Cabbage with Onions and Apples, Mashed Potatoes
Wed - Rueben Sandwiches, Onion Rings, Sliced Strawberries
Thurs - French Toast, Bacon, Fruit Salad
Fri - Anniversary Lunch, so just making Frozen Pizzas and Smoothies for kids
Sat - TBD

I really need to get back at this. Good news is work has calmed down, we finally hired people, so that will be better

Tonight we had grilled chicken with potato pancakes, broccoli, and applesauce
Tomorrow will be honey thyme pork chops with cous cous and peachy salad (hello fresh meal)
Saturday will be chicken enchiladas with salad
Sunday will be buttered up steak with roasted potatoes and garlic green beans (hello fresh)

I need to shop Monday but it is a start

Sun - Mesquite BBQ Pork Loin, Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Broccoli, Grapes
Mon - Spinach and Cheese Ravioli in a Pesto Sauce, Caesar Salad, Sliced Kiwi
Tues - T-Bone Steaks (got these for $4.50/lb yesterday), Carmelized Onions and Roasted Mushroom Topping, Baked Potatoes, Roasted Green Beans
Wed - Tacos (not sure what type yet - chicken or beef - whatever choice will be next 2 meals), Chips and Salsa, Sliced Mango
Thurs - Black Bean and TBD Meat Chili, Corny Cornbread, Kiwi/Grapes/Mango/Banana Fruit Salad
Fri - 3-way Chili Spaghetti - Chili, Onion, Cheese (jarred sauce for kids), Fruit Smoothies
Sat - Grocery Pick Up Meal or Leftovers or OUT

Back from vacation, and back to meal planning.

Sunday: Grilling ribs, alexa waffle fries
Monday: I have a make-up workout secession from being away. Leftovers
Tuesday: Baked tortellini, salad
Wednesday: Workout class. Leftovers
Thursday: Tomato soup, cornbread
Friday: Cornbread crusted chicken, broccoli
Saturday: Either leftovers or frozen pizza (or a mix)
Sunday: Veggie burgers, corn, carrots and ranch

Sun- grilled chicken, potato and salad
Mon- meatballs and steamed veg
Tues- homemade pizzas
Wed- beef massamun and rice with gai larn
Thurs- beans and toast, late home
Fri- loaded potatoes
Sat- out

Monday - grilled chicken salads
Tuesday - Japanese chicken, zuchinni
Wednesday - cauliflower stir fry
Thursday - kielbasa and cabbage
Friday - Big Mac salad
Saturday - Mongolian beef and broccoli, roasted vegetables
Sunday - chef salad

Monday - meatloaf, mashed potatoes, squash
Tuesday - taco salads
Wednesday - eggs, grits, sausage
Thursday - cube steak, eggplant parm
Friday - Italian sausages w/tomato sauce over grits, peas

Back from out of town. Only have a partial week figured out because I shop on Friday and what we have after that will depend on what I buy that day.

However...

Mon-BBQ chicken, lentils and rice, watermelon and veggies and dip
Tues-tacos/taco salad/bean burritos
Wed-pork tenderloin, broccoli, grilled cheese for the kiddies
Thurs-leftovers/fend for yourself

A little off topic, but I am getting to go with Costco for the first time thanks to a friend with a membership. What are the must look for items? Thanks!

Tonight is "scallop experiment night." We had scallops last night, and they were disappointing. Delicious, but not as browned as I wanted. I tried Alton Brown's recipe, but the smoke point for butter and olive oil is too low for the high heat he recommended. I burned some oil and had to restart, but luckily didn't burn the scallops. But . . . they didn't have an amazing "crust," even though they had good flavor and were not tough. So tonight, we are eating the other half of the bag this way:

1. Julia Child (she recommends starting dry and testing to see if they are dry or wet scallops and cooking accordingly. I assumed dry since there were not chemicals or solutions on the bag (Kirkland), but we shall see. This could be the problem, in which case she has solutions.

2. Frying in a bit of ghee rather than butter/olive oil, and then adding butter at the end for flavor. This is to raise the heat since it has a higher smoke point.

3. Dusting with an extremely small pinch of sugar (works for shrimp) to increase browning.

4. Breaded in panko, just because (always wanted to try an admirals platter, but never wanted to commit to that much deep fried shellfish)

5. In a cast iron skillet

6. In a non-stick skillet

7-8 ?? ??

Going to be kind of a project with me and my sweetie. Scallops cook in 3 minutes, so cooking 2 at a time will be fine.

Edit: Well, the additional types were: sliced (dredged in flour, with shallots and garlic), in bacon fat, in ghee with shallots, wine, and butter, and dredged in flour with garlic and shallots.

Verdict: Pans--non stick was best. Cast iron awful for sticking.

Dredging vs. not dredging: neutral (I preferred dredged, partner liked plain)
Aromatics vs. none: none was mostly preferred, though both delicious. Partner definitely preferred butter/salt/pepper only.
Fat: Ghee was the winner, and it turned out Julia Child recommended clarified butter. I was thinking regular butter and higher heats were a nonstarter, but 2 cookbooks recommended it.)

Anyhow, much better browning today. Will use: room temperature scallops well dried in a nonstick pan that is not over crowded, just salt and pepper, medium high heat, ghee (with butter added towards the end) in the future! This was a pretty fun "date night" for us. :)

Last edited:
The BF requested soup last night since he wasn't feeling good. I Googled a quick soup recipe at 7 pm...we were eating by 8. Summer corn soup...literally 8 ingredients. He approved completely, it was delicious and we have plenty leftover.

We'll likely have that again tonight and we're eating in with some friends on Wednesday (pork chops, beans, rice, plantains and fried cheese). I'll be eating in on Thursday through Saturday (he works nights), so the next time there's a chance of me eating out is Sunday.

A little off topic, but I am getting to go with Costco for the first time thanks to a friend with a membership. What are the must look for items? Thanks!

I was just there yesterday. My go to items are the organic chicken broth, organic ground beef (comes already packaged for freezer), spring mix, butter, and the rotisserie chicken ($4.99 and it is gigantic). I find the prices to be really good and knowing what you will actually use vs what you think you will saves money.

Last night we had rotisserie chicken from Costco with mashed sweet potatoes and salad
Tonight is Impossible cheeseburger pie with salad
Tomorrow will be chicken enchiladas
Thursday will be grilled cheese and tomato soup
Friday will be food at the fair
Saturday will be crockpot potatoe soup

I was just there yesterday. My go to items are the organic chicken broth, organic ground beef (comes already packaged for freezer), spring mix, butter, and the rotisserie chicken ($4.99 and it is gigantic). I find the prices to be really good and knowing what you will actually use vs what you think you will saves money.

I for sure want to get one of the chickens. Will have that for dinner Saturday night and then will slice/chop/shred the rest. The shredded chicken will then be used to make tacos and the sliced or chopped chicken will be used for sandwiches. I will have to see what else they have. I'm trying to decide if a membership is worth it or not for me. I think the meat options would be nice to have and the home/personal care stuff would as well... but I would need more to bite the bullet on paying to be a member.

Back from out of town. Only have a partial week figured out because I shop on Friday and what we have after that will depend on what I buy that day.

However...

Mon-BBQ chicken, lentils and rice, watermelon and veggies and dip
Tues-tacos/taco salad/bean burritos
Wed-pork tenderloin, broccoli, grilled cheese for the kiddies
Thurs-leftovers/fend for yourself

Fri-Chicken fajitas
Sat-Asian chicken "cauliflower rice" stirfry
Sun-Sausages for DH, homemade hamburger helper for the rest of us

**The house is full of fresh fruit and veggies, salad fixings and frozen broccoli, so we'll be eating that stuff up with dinner as it appeals to us.

My parents gifted us 6 months of Hello Fresh! We got our first box today.

Monday: Italian ciabatta burgers, sweet potato fries
Tuesday:Chicken cheddar fajitas, mexican rice
Wednesday: I Have my workout class. leftovers
Thursday: Parmesan crusted tilapia, broccoli
Friday: Either soup and sandwiches or frozen pizza
Saturday: Slow cooker mac and cheese, caesar salad
Sunday: Leftovers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!