Eat at Home 3!

Had a wonderful once-a-year Christmas treats trip to Trader Joe's today...it helped get me set for Sun/Mon dinners, too:)...still planning the rest!
Sun - Ginger-Miso Chicken Dumpling Soup and Harry and David Pear Slices (Gonna use the Trader Joe Ginger Miso Broth, the 2 carcasses of my rotisserie chicken from tonight, and an HMart Dumpling Bag - should be pretty awesome if today's taste test is any indication - the pears were also at TJ's for only $8/box, so I splurged:))
Mon - Mandarin Orange Chicken Bites (Trader Joe's Bag), White Rice, Clementines and Bananas

Okay, so I hit Aldi's tonight, and it was a jackpot - $.49 for 3lb of granny smith apples, $.99 for 8 kiwi, $.89 blackberries tons of veg uber cheap, so here's the rest of the plans...

Tues - Shepard's Pie (Ground Lamb, Mashed Potato, Celery, Carrots, Onion), Homemade Apple-Pear Muffins
Wed - Cheez-It Crusted Baked Chicken Tenders, Celery Sticks and Baby Carrots with Blue Cheese Dip, Blackberries
Thurs - Chicken Fajitas (Multi-Colored Bell Peppers and Onions), Clementines/Kiwi/Blackberry Fruit Salad
Fri - Hot Dogs (kid has asked for weeks, and we're gonna do a light show), Baked Fries, Sliced Pears, Smoothies
Sat - OUT (Red Robin Vet Coupon with $30 in GC from their holiday deal)
Sun - Christmas Eve App night - Baby Crab Cakes, Veg Tray with Lemon Garlic Aoili, Fruit Tray with Dip, Dorito and Cheeto Boxed App (one each - got on a stupid good Target deal, so we decided to break them out tonight for fun:)...
Mon - (TAKE IN) Peking Duck with Seedless Cucumber, Green Onion, and Hoisin Sauce, Fried Rice, Peeled Clementines - Pineapple Delight and Thumbprint Cookies with Vanilla Drizzle for dessert

Monday (Christmas dinner): Going to our friends' house. On the menu is prime rib, ham, scalloped potatoes, cream corn, rolls, salad, green beans, lots of wine ::yes::, red velvet cake, Baileys cupcakes and Christmas cookies.
Tuesday: Slow cooker salsa chicken into tacos, spanish rice
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Turkey meatloaf, broccoli
Friday: Cheese calzones, fruit
Saturday: Probably out-I'm sure we will get some kind of restaurant gift card:rotfl:
Sunday: Appetizers-boneless wings, queso dip/chips/salsa, jalapeno poppers

I have been doing pretty well eating at home the last few weeks. I work retail so it has taken some planning but it has worked. I also rely a lot on leftovers and repurposing meals into other dishes.

This week
Sunday out for Christmas Eve dinner (I work until 6:30)
Monday is dinner at my Aunt’s with my family
Tuesday will be garlic chicken and vegetable stir fry
Wednesday will be grilled cheese and tomato soup
Thursday will be leftovers
Friday will be snacks and appetizers for the OSU game
Saturday will be crockpot potato and corn chowder

I am going to do soup from now until year end to use up some odds and ends. I have a new instapot, plus they love soup.

Steak soup with leftover roasted vegetables
Chicken and rice with vegetables
Soup beans and corn bread
Spicy black bean soup with beef and vegetable
Something Italian-like, I have a lot of frozen tomatoes, frozen Italian sausage, and frozen bell peppers
Beef chili
Black eyed peas and country ham on Monday

I have everything I need already so I am hoping to stay out of the grocery store until Jan 2nd or 3rd.

Trying to get back on the eat at home bandwagon.

Today: breakfast was cereal, CYO (leftover pizza, cheese quesadillas or nutella sandwiches), dinner will be vegetable soup
Friday: breakfast - turkey bacon and eggs, lunch - leftover soup, dinner - slow cooker hawaiian chicken
Saturday: breakfast - homemade waffles, lunch - leftover hawaiian chicken, dinner - Olive Garden (with gift card received for Christmas) after our family movie night

Going to do a thorough inventory of the pantry, freezer and fridge before I plan out next week. Deep freeze is already done so I've got an idea of mains.

So far I have stuck to this weeks plan. Here is what I am thinking for next week

Sunday (off) pork roast with sweet potatoes and Brussel sprouts
Monday (10-6:30) dinner with family
Tuesday (off) chicken paprika with homemade spaetzle
Wednesday (off) French dip sandwiches with chips and fruit
Thursday (10-6:30) leftovers
Friday (9-6:30) dinner out with friends
Saturday (2-9:30) homemade macaroni and cheese

Back home - tonight, I'm using up Christmas dinner leftovers and some limping veg in a Peking Duck and Fried Rice scratch soup (we came home with some sniffles, so this should work) with clementine slices...

I'm about to go shopping, so I'll have more plans soon...

EDIT: Added some homemade banana choco chip muffins and added Aldi uber-discounted riced cauliflower to the soup (to bulk up the veg of scallion, carrot, and celery) - it turned out awesome:)...

Last edited:

Here is the next plan. Breakfasts will be oatmeal, frozen breakfast sandwiches, and yogurt. Lunches will be soup, leftovers, or sandwiches. Snacks are hummus with pretzels, sandwich crackers, and popcorn.

Sunday: New Years Eve- Snack and Apps (ham and cheese sliders, cheese, crackers, venison summer sausage, and then whatever catches my eye at the store)
Monday: New Years Day- French Onion Soup, steak, baked potato
Tuesday: L/O
Wednesday: L/O
Thursday: Italian Sausage and brats
Friday: L/O
Saturday: L/O

Sunday: Spaghetti with Italian Sausage
Monday: L/O
Tuesday: Bratwurst hash and eggs
Wednesday: L/O
Thursday: Creamy Italian Chicken over egg noodles
Friday: L/O
Saturday: L/O

The holidays played heck with my plans to eat at home! Between shopping, wrapping, cooking for the various gatherings and helping out with DS and DD's wrestling company it's been hectic. These two weeks off for the holidays have been nice but now DH has the flu! And I guess I needed rest more than I realized because I haven't had the want to to do much of anything the past three days.

But now I am ready!

Tonight we had Sheperds Pie, fruit salad and rolls.

Saturday- Baked ziti, green salad and French bread

Sunday-NYE at DS and Dil's if Dh is better.

Monday- Ribs with potatoes and cabbage (1 pot meal), black eyed peas and cornbread

Tuesday-Enchilada Pie, salad

Wednesday-chicken and dumplings, salad, biscuits

Thursday-Stew, Lima beans

Friday-BBQ Ribs, Sweet potatoes

Saturday-Beef tips in gravy, mashed potatoes, peas

Sunday-Chicken and noodles, salad, rolls

Saturday- Italian lentil soup
Sunday - pizza or Chinese take out
Monday - turkey breast, mashed potatoes and green beans
Tuesday - turkey tetrazzini and peas
Wednesday- salmon, baked sweet potatoes, beets
Thursday - homemade chicken noodle soup
Friday - leftovers

So, I came down with the post-trip sniffles...bleh! I may just plan the next 2 days and figure the rest out when I feel better...

Sat - Taco Salads (Chili, Cheese, Lettuce, Salsa, Avocado, Corn, Sour Cream, Chips), Raspberries and Apple Slices
Sun (NYE) - App Night - Mozza Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, Fresh Guac and Chili Cheese Dip with Chips, Raspberries/Blackberries/Pears, Champagne (with a few berries dropped in) and Sparkling Apple Cider

YAY!!!! Thank you thank you thank you! I used to follow this thread and was so afraid it had disappeared! Hubby turns 55 this Jan. and he is retiring so I am back on board to save some money and get inspired! Will post my meals for next week tomorrow! Eating out is one of our biggest waste when it comes to spending!

My plans for this week:
Monday:New Years meal: leftover ham bone/ sliced ham in skillet, cabbage,potatoes,and onions, corn, black eyed peas

Tuesday: vegetable beef soup, Italian bread

Wednesday: cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes, peas

Thursday: Panko Parmesan breaded tilapia, salads

Friday: cream of mushroom pork chops, rice, corn

Saturday: broccoli cheese soup and rolls

Sunday: crockpot beef brisket and pasta salad

Monday: goulash ( hamburger, macaroni, tomatoes), bread

That’s as far as I can think of for now.

Okay, here's the rest of the week...
Mon - Homemade Spinach Alfredo, All Beef Meatballs, Raspberries/Blackberries/Bananas
Tues - Chicken Tacos, Sliced Mango, Guac and Chips (didn't make this Saturday)
Wed - Garlic Hoisin Baked Chicken Breast, White Rice, Clementines and Bananas
Thurs - Fried Rice with Leftover Chicken, Leftover Rice, Egg, Celery/Carrots/Riced Cauliflower, Green Salad, Apple Slices
Fri - Homemade Mussels in Tomato Broth, Baked Bread, Fruit Salad, Rest of Green Salad or Leftover Sides
Sat - Choir Xmas Party - we will likely bring a homemade fresh fruit tray

Last edited:
Black eyed peas with country ham bits, roasted broccoli, garlic green beans.
Chicken nugget salad
Black bean spicy sausage stew
Beef stew
Blacked chicken breast (a pre-seasoned thing I got at Kroger), broccoli
General tso chicken, fried rice, with garlic green beans
Steak tacos

I am making chicken salad and hummus for lunches. There will also be dinner leftovers.

I am sooo IN!!!
I made a resolution to NOT ORDER FOOD this year.
I love to cook but have dealt with a bunch of health issues that make it difficult at times.
I am also a plant based vegan since last year so I have so been ordering alot of take out from our local Indian take out and Indonesian take out place.
I am excited to learn to make the food I love to eat and save money.
2 nights ago for dinner I made indian style lentils with rice.
Last night hubby made mashed potatoes, bbq beans and corn
Today I am making Chana Masala ( Savory Indian Chick Peas) with spinach and arugula over basmati rice.
I am hoping to have a stocked pantry and be able to save money... every time we order take out its at least $30-35 dollars.... I calculated cost of the Chana Masala and it approx $4 to make......

Breakfast this week will be our usual suspects. Cereal, eggs, turkey bacon, pancakes, yogurt. Lunches will be leftovers.

Today: Taco bar with leftover ground beef from yesterday
Tuesday: Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
Wednesday: Pizza delivery (our late night with school and soccer)
Thursday: Crockpot Honey sesame chicken
Friday: Dragon noodles
Saturday: Grilled steak and veggies

Have a great first week of the year, everyone!

I don't like to decide which day to eat what ahead of time.... so just coming up with a menu for next few days and than decide what is what each day.....lol its the rebel in me.
Since today is tuesday here is what I have figure for next few days:

1) creamy vegan scalloped potatoes and lentil loaf
2) peanut ginger soy noodles
3) 5 bean and corn chili with corn fritters or corn bread

I have everything I need but the potatoes and coconut milk... so thats 3 days of NOT ORDERING DINNER... YAY

Breakfast this week will be our usual suspects. Cereal, eggs, turkey bacon, pancakes, yogurt. Lunches will be leftovers.

Today: Taco bar with leftover ground beef from yesterday
Tuesday: Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken
Wednesday: Pizza delivery (our late night with school and soccer)
Thursday: Crockpot Honey sesame chicken
Friday: Dragon noodles
Saturday: Grilled steak and veggies

Have a great first week of the year, everyone!

what are dragon noodles?? sound intriguing....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter