Eat at Home 3!

Another year, another menu . We’re getting back on track with eating healthy. It was gross how indulgent we were over the holidays. A lot of it can be chalked up to being so busy, but honestly I know better. If I make a plan ahead of time, it doesn’t matter how busy we are because I will have something on hand that I can make quickly. So here’s the plan for the rest of this week, and hopefully I will remember to post regularly. :)

Today- Garden salad with cherry tomatoes, carrot and lettuce. Chicken Burgers.

Wednesday- I am thawing a turkey I got on sale before Christmas. Tomorrow will be turkey, carrot/turnip/potatoe mash with gravy, broccoli.

Thursday- Chili and homemade bread

Friday-Homemade pizza and salad for family movie night

Saturday- Leftover turkey and hot gravy sandwiches for the boys with broccoli , and just turkey and broccoli and carrots for me

Sunday- Roasted Pork tenderloin and roasted veggies (turnip, potatoe and sweet potatoes)

This is the first time, I believe, that I've posted on this thread. And here's why (and I'm a little embarrassed). I was looking back through our account and numbers as where our money was going last year as DW and I live paycheck to paycheck. I noticed we were spending about $1,200-$1,500 PER MONTH on food. That means grocery shopping, eating out, more eating out, etc. I've also noticed we throw away a lot of groceries that go bad. There is just DW and I as we have no kids, so I'm even more embarrassed by those numbers we spend on eating/food.

I've been reading this thread about a month now and have gotten motivated to do something about it. DW and I went to Walmart tonight and spent nearly $150 on food. We asked for an air fryer and a George Foreman grill for Christmas and had bought a crockpot a couple of weeks before. So we decided it was time to start using them. Using ideas from this thread, and checking out Pinterest, we came up with a week's worth of meals to where we don't have to eat out. We talked a bit tonight about taking a small step toward lowering our food budget. We decided that if we spent around $125 per week on groceries, which might be more than sufficient, and include a $50/week eat out budget, we'd be down to about $700 per month on eating. That's cut the problem down more than half. So we're giving it a try. Here's what we've got for this week...

Wednesday
Lunch at home for me (I work about 30 seconds from where I live), DW will eat what she took today since she went out;
Supper - Cheese Enchiladas, rice, fruit;

Thursday
Lunch - Probably leftovers; if not, take some of the stuff we bought tonight like sandwiches, tuna, etc.
Dinner - Homemade Pepperoni pizza rollups, vegetable or garlic bread and ice cream (even though it's 18 degrees here right now);

Friday
Lunch - Leftover pizza rollups or something else;
Dinner - New recipe like hot dogs but grill dogs and roll them in crescent rolls, tater tots or baked beans;

Saturday
Lunch - probably a late breakfast since neither of us work;
Dinner - celebrating a late Christmas with a friend, so will grab something like Chilis (we always split food there, so that will be half of our weekly eat-out budget);;

Sunday
Lunch - go out to eat after church with friends, so the other half of our weekly eat out budget;
Dinner - Spaghetti or Lasagna, depending on what I want to make, garlic bread;

Monday
Lunch - leftover spaghetti or lasagne, vegetable like peas or carrots;
Dinner - honey ham steak, potatoes or tater tots

So that's about it. We'll then go back to the grocery store next Monday night or Tuesday. I'm excited to turn the page and try this new chapter. Hopefully, we can stick to it and cut into our budget deficit. Please continue to post menu items and give me some ideas. It all looks so good.

Cold snap coming our way so I got groceries today instead of doing the usual Friday run, so I can stay home and stay warm tomorrow! DH eats low carb so he does mostly meat and veg and when we are having something that doesn't fit his diet, you'll notice he has something different.

Tonight-leftover ham, tortellini alfredo, mac and cheese for my fussy son who doesn't like tortellini and broccoli with cheese sauce, leftover cupcakes for dessert
Fri-leftover turkey meat, mashed potatoes, gravy, homemade rolls, green beans
Sat-fasting
Sun-steak and salad for the hubby, hamburger helper, peas, salad and leftover rolls for the rest of us
Mon-fish for DH, leftover turkey dinner for the rest of us
Tues-leftover fish for DH, soup and grilled cheese for the rest of us with carrot/celery sticks and fruit
Wed-chicken, broccoli and "rice" (the rice is actually riced cauliflower for DH, the rest of us with have a bit of the cauliflower and a bit of regular rice)
Thurs-meatloaf and mashed potatoes with whatever veg we feel like having (meatloaf will be made with ground turkey)

Ok I'm starting today which is Friday because I am food shopping today...LOL

Friday-Homemade Chicken Parmesan wedges, salad, cake (husband retires today!!)
Saturday-Shrimp and Clams over pasta, garlic bread, salad, Jello (husbands B-day)
Sunday-Homemade Italian Veggie soup with cheese tortellini
Monday-Broiled Pork Chops, Corn, Veggie
Tuesday-Pasta with fresh Veggies & Mozzarella (zucchini, red peppers, carrots...)
Wednesday-Swedish Meatballs over rice
Thursday-Chicken Lanzone and Veggies...Not heart healthy but for a treat it is soooooo DELICIOUS! http://www.plainchicken.com/2013/05...campaign=Feed:+blogspot/wJJTP+(Plain+Chicken)

Ok that should keep us for the week. If any one can share some easy,inexpensive, and yummy lunch ideas for hubby and I that would be so appreciated. I'm always at a loss for lunches...lol!

Our Target had eggs on sale for .25 a dozen! Not expired or anything..we picked up 2. Making a batch of hardboiled eggs for quick snacks/breakfast for the week as well.
-
Monday: Avocado toast, soft boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes
Tuesday: Southwest breakfast scramble but we will top ours with avocado https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/southwest-breakfast-scramble/
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Jalapeno cheddar chicken, green beans
Friday: Italian Wonderpot (Budgetbytes), salad
Saturday/Sunday: One will be leftovers, the other will be going to Texas Roadhouse with a gift card we got for Christmas

Changed a few plans last week - Made Citrus Tea Baked Chicken breast instead of the fried rice, but stayed pretty on point...so, for next week...
Sun (Church Night)- Frozen Pizza, Green Salad, Sliced Strawberries and Bananas
Mon - Fried Chicken, Stuffing, Roasted Acorn Squash, More Strawberries and Bananas
Tues - Lemon Dill Baked Fresh Salmon Fillets, Cheddar Biscuits, Coconut Milk Creamed Spinach, Blackberries
Wed - Meatloaf (any biscuits will go into this), Mashed Potatoes, Last of Salad, Last of Strawberries and Blackberries
Thurs (2 extra teen guests) - Breakfast Night - Scrambled Eggs (Optional topping - Cheddar, Veg Saute), Sausage, Zucchini Apple Muffins, Clementines
Fri (App Night) - Mozzarella Sticks, Jalapeno Poppers, Smoothies, and Leftover Sides/Fruits
Sat - OUT

I am changing the plan for today as there just isn’t much leftover turkey. We used most of it in lunches this week.

Today- Ds13 is having friends over for a board game day today. I am still debating on what to make them all for dinner but I am thinking I will do a batch of homemade meatballs and make spaghetti and salad. Easy.
I will also be making a Weight Watchers beef stew recipe I found. It will make some lunches for DH and I ,and maybe a dinner for me this week.

Sunday- Roast Pork Tenderloin, Roasted Veggies

Monday- Homemade pizzas for the boys ( my dough didnt rise last night for some reason and we had to do breakfast for dinner), leftover stew for me
Tuesday- Potato/Leek/Carrot soup, grilled chicken sausage
Wednesday- Lean ground beef wraps with veggies
Thursday - Not sure yet, probably leftovers for me, fried rice and dumplings for the guys.
Friday- Again, not sure. We will need to do groceries by this point so I will start my menu here next time.

Saturday- chicken noodle soup
Sunday - burgers/ baked fries
Monday - cube steak, sweet potatoes and beets
Tuesday - tacos, corn, black beans
Wednesday- leftovers
Thursday - pollo con creama with peppers, red rice, refried beans
Friday - chicken wings, green beans, scalloped potatoes

Last week didn't go as well as I had hoped with not going out to eat, so some things are carrying over into this week's plan.

Chicken pot pie
Grilled steak and veggie packets
Green chili chicken enchiladas
Honey sesame chicken and white rice
Dragon noodles
Hawaiian chicken and white rice
Grilled burgers and hot dogs

Have a great week everyone!

Two weeks of plans

Today (off) chicken wings with zucchini fries and fruit salad
Monday (off) pork roast with corn bread pudding and salad
Tuesday (10-9:30) leftovers
Wednesday (3-9:30) potato and corn chowder
Thursday (9-5:30) pulled pork sandwiches with chips and fruit
Friday (4-9:30) leftovers
Saturday (10-5:30) dinner with friends

Sunday (11-6:30) spaghetti and meatballs with salad
Monday (off) roast chicken with mashed sweet potatoes and broccoli
Tuesday (off) Chinese chicken rice salad
Wednesday (10-9:30) leftovers
Thursday (4-9:30) grilled cheese and tomato soup
Friday (11-6:30) breakfast for dinner
Saturday (1-9:30) leftovers

Starting week 2 of a Whole30 diet plan (this is my third time, but I haven't done it since 2016):

Monday: Salmon with asparagus
Tuesday: Spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash
Wednesday: Greek Meatball Salad
Thursday: Beef and broccoli stir fry
Friday: Citrusy Fish Stew
Saturday: Red Curry Shrimp over cauliflower rice
Sunday: Beef Fajita skillet

Next few days:

Gardein " mock" fish fillets, mashed potatoes and corn
Cuban style split pea soup with home made crusty rosemary bread
Cuban Black beans and rice

New year and another attempt at menu planning. I'm really bad at sticking with it! I won't be planning Saturdays, that day is just too hard to predict. It's just DH and I, the kids are long grown and out of the house.

Sunday

DH went tailgating with a friend in NOLA (Geaux Saints!), I had leftovers.

Meatless Monday
Veggie Fried Rice
Orange Broccoli

Tuesday
Chicken Chili
Salad (spinach, kale, fresh orange)
Rolls

Wednesday
Ham steak with pineapple
Baked Sweet potatoes
Green beans

Thursday
Sausage, potato, pepper skillet
Oven roasted Brussels sprouts

Friday

TBD, probably something on the grill

Starting week 2 of a Whole30 diet plan (this is my third time, but I haven't done it since 2016):

Monday: Salmon with asparagus
Tuesday: Spaghetti sauce over spaghetti squash
Wednesday: Greek Meatball Salad
Thursday: Beef and broccoli stir fry
Friday: Citrusy Fish Stew
Saturday: Red Curry Shrimp over cauliflower rice
Sunday: Beef Fajita skillet

We are starting a Whole30 on the 22nd. I might end up having to pick your brain for ideas ;)

New year and another attempt at menu planning. I'm really bad at sticking with it! I won't be planning Saturdays, that day is just too hard to predict. It's just DH and I, the kids are long grown and out of the house.

Sunday

DH went tailgating with a friend in NOLA (Geaux Saints!), I had leftovers.

Meatless Monday
Veggie Fried Rice
Orange Broccoli

Tuesday
Chicken Chili
Salad (spinach, kale, fresh orange)
Rolls

Wednesday
Ham steak with pineapple
Baked Sweet potatoes
Green beans

Thursday
Sausage, potato, pepper skillet
Oven roasted Brussels sprouts

Friday

TBD, probably something on the grill
recipe for orange brocc
oli?? sounds interesting...

i haven't posted in a while, but we've been good about eating at home. I've missed seeing everyone's ideas (definitely need to make dragon noodles soon - they sound awesome and cheap!) I really started on this thread trying to use up stuff I had in my pantry/freezer - and I made real progress on that last year. I'm much better about using up random stuff (and not buying random stuff in the first place!) Our grocery bill has gone down significantly over the past few months - still room for improvement, though!

I made some turkey/black bean chili, which is the basis for a bunch of meals this week.

M- Chili
T- Tofu Tikka with peas, cous cous
W- Chili burritos
Th- BBQ chicken, cornbread from a box, crudite
F- Chicken puck sandwiches, coleslaw
S- Homemade Pizza

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts