Eating at the Camper

barbz56

Mouseketeer
We will probably only go to the parks 2 days. What do you veteran FW campers cook to eat at the camper? We are flying in and renting a camper. I am probably going to order food from Publix thru Instacart.

Hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled shrimp, pepper steak. With our griddle and the stove in the camper, I can make anything I normally cook at home. We also keep a crock pot in our trailer to use. A rental probably does not have one.

Crackpot meals are easiest. We utilize them on park days setting it on lowest setting allowing more time. We come back and eat, rest, usually return to park after eating or going to DS.

Get charcoal and fire up grill on day one. Cook chicken, burgers, steaks, whatever at one time and then refrigerate. You can warm them up in microwave as your meals roll around.

Instant potatoes are pretty easy. Baked potatoes in microwave.

2nd that on the crockpot, utilize the liners, we use the Dixie plates, bowls and utensils, not much to clean up. We make the meal the night before while the DD's are showering. a crock will turn even the lower price cut of pork or beef roast into a masterpiece, DW does something with beef roast, wine, carrots and mushrooms that is outta this world....

the newer RV's have a much better oven, if your rental has it, dont be afraid to do frozen pizza's, they finally made an RV oven that can cook one! The sell Tombstone's at the camp stores

I also grill hamburgers, chicken and steaks. Spaghetti is easy on days we're tired or the weather is bad for outdoor cooking. The microwave and my electric skillet get far more use than my RV's stove.

I agree with the others. We also love shredded chicken tacos made with chicken covered with a jar of Pace Picante sauce and cooked in the crock pot. Shred it with a hand mixer and viola. Easy meal that doesn't take a long time to cook.

W
I agree with the others. We also love shredded chicken tacos made with chicken covered with a jar of Pace Picante sauce and cooked in the crock pot. Shred it with a hand mixer and viola. Easy meal that doesn't take a long time to cook.
We make Salsa Chicken a lot! Super simple meal and you can have leftovers for a couple days. My daughter likes to have burritos with it and I use it for Taco salads.

I also recommend the slow cooker and the liners.

Shredded chicken tacos are a hit with my group also. We puree the rotel tomatoes and add a little taco seasoning, then pour over chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on low until you get back, then separate it with a fork.

Put in taco shells, add toppings, and its an easy meal.

The next time we go, I plan to sear a roast ahead of time and freeze it with the carrots, defrost it the day before, then drop it in the crock pot one morning. Should make a good dinner.

I was just contemplating my meals for our first Fort trip. Ideas I wrote down:

Mississippi pot roast in crock pot or instant pot
Hamburgers
BLTs with avocado and some soup or salad
Instant pot brocoll beef
Tacos/chalupas.

We mainly ate in the parks. But we batch cooked a passel of dirty rice and froze it in vacuum bags of approx 4 servings each (there are two of us). Threw a bag in the fridge to defrost the night before for use the next day in case we called an early day. Dirty rice reheats/microwaves well and is pretty versatile. Dirty rice burritos, on a baked potato, a taco salad. It's pretty good for breakfast, too!

Glad you are getting a crock pot! I totally agree that will be the easiest way to have nice meals since you have to fly in. Crock pot liners are almost mandatory, in my opinion.

We also do the chicken breast with picante sauce and a pack of taco seasoning. It will shred so easily and is yummy! Put it in tortillas with cheese and sour cream and it's the best!

Pot roast doesn't need seared. I never do that, even at home. Get baby carrots, so you don't have to peel them. A few potatoes and an onion. Since you are traveling, try a pack pot roast seasoning so you don't have to buy/bring every individual seasoning.

Not sure if you buy any frozen food at home, but if you are not used to it, Stouffer's makes the best of most things - lasagna, meat loaf, and their chicken/broccoli pasta bake is wonderful! All stuff you can just heat and serve that comes in family sizes. I would also opt for frozen pizza over what you can buy at the Fort. My family wouldn't even eat Fort pizza. We ended up throwing it away.

You will have to be a bit more creative since you are flying in. We only live a couple hours away, so I precook all homemade stuff and freeze it. We put a decent sized freezer in our camper so we are good to go for a couple weeks.

There is a grill on every site, so charcoal to make different meats on the grill is good too. As far as quick sides go, boxed flavored potatoes and pasta are pretty good and can be microwaved. Canned vegetables are much easier to deal with than fresh when you don't want to waste much time cooking.

Eggs are quick and easy for breakfast, or if you will have a toaster - bagels, english muffins, etc. Instant oatmeal, grits, fresh fruit. All good and fast.

Don't forget condiments when you make your food order! Have a great time.

Mississippi pot roast in crock pot or instant pot
Hamburgers
BLTs with avocado and some soup or salad
Instant pot brocoll beef
Tacos/chalupas.
Sounds like a great menu plan. Let us know when you are going we'll come by with drinks and condiments. LOL

Last time DW and I were at FW, had a off day from parks, etc. Got out the ole PTG, put on a prime rib roast and had a feast! I know it's not possible for OP to do because they are flying in and renting a camper, but we bring meat from home, buy it from a local cattle producer right off the hoof! It's hard to go back to store bought meat after that. To answer OP question, we ate at the parks mostly, Maybe some soup at night, (It was December) We are buying a Instant Pot this year at the beginning of camping season, test run before we head to Fort to see how it works.

Love the Mississippi Roast in the Crock-Pot, so yummy.
Also there are quite a few breakfast meals that can be made in the Crock-Pot (sausage, potatoes, eggs and cheese). I just put it in the night before and the camper smells great in the morning.
Walk away tacos are a huge hit at our campsite too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!