Eating in Disney - soft foods/restricted diet

valiamo

My love of Fantasia, and Mickey
We are heading to Disneyland in 30 days (woohoo), this trip has been planned for almost a year, and everything was paid for in advance.

BUT….in the past 5 months I have been diagnosed, treated and, I think I, have beaten cancer (throat) but now cannot eat much in the way of solid foods. I am slowly starting to re-learn how to eat, and I can now eat soft oatmeal, most soups (NO spices), some soft fruits (bananas, mangoes, watermelon), and interestingly enough cooked shrimp.

Where, in Disney, can I get soft foods that I can easily eat? I have seen there are several places that have gumbo (what is in a Gumbo), and one other that has a Chowder.

Are there any hidden items that I can ask for when going out to eat?

Suggestions?

Background…..

Because of the radiation, I was unable to eating solid food and I was living on a liquid diet. High calorie/protein shakes are my best friend, and I have 2 or 3 of these every day.

I still cannot swallow properly so have some food restrictions such as meats, and breads. I also have a sensitivity to spiced or peppered dishes as those cause my throat to seize up.

How about baked potato soup at Carnation Cafe? I think gumbo is only available as part of the Fantasmic dining lan at Cafe Orleans. And maybe not at all since in 30 days that will move back to River Belle Terrace.

And congratulations from one victor to another. We fight too hard to be just SURVIVORS!

So glad you are on the winning side of cancer. We just had the first anniversary of the passing of my good friend who we lost too young to breast cancer at 39. You are a warrior!

Jolly Holiday has a delicious tomato soup. It comes with a grilled cheese but perhaps someone else in your party can take that off your hands.

On the sweet side Dole whips in Adventureland and soft serve ice cream in Carsland or on Paradise Pier.

I think Flo's in Carsland has mashed potatoes and lots of places have mac n cheese if you can handle that. Gumbo is also served at a little place next door to Pirates of the Caribbean if you can't get it at Cafe Orleans. I'll see if I can think of more. I'm actually here at the parks for the next few days so I'll look around and let you know what I find.

How about baked potato soup at Carnation Cafe? I think gumbo is only available as part of the Fantasmic dining lan at Cafe Orleans. And maybe not at all since in 30 days that will move back to River Belle Terrace.

And congratulations from one victor to another. We fight too hard to be just SURVIVORS!

Thanks! Feels good to have beaten the beast!

I love Carnation, and a potato soup sounds great!!

So glad you are on the winning side of cancer. We just had the first anniversary of the passing of my good friend who we lost too young to breast cancer at 39. You are a warrior!

Jolly Holiday has a delicious tomato soup. It comes with a grilled cheese but perhaps someone else in your party can take that off your hands.

On the sweet side Dole whips in Adventureland and soft serve ice cream in Carsland or on Paradise Pier.

I think Flo's in Carsland has mashed potatoes and lots of places have mac n cheese if you can handle that. Gumbo is also served at a little place next door to Pirates of the Caribbean if you can't get it at Cafe Orleans. I'll see if I can think of more. I'm actually here at the parks for the next few days so I'll look around and let you know what I find.

Sorry to hear of your friend, way too young...

All else sound great! If I remember correctly the Tomato soup is quite smooth. I have yet to try the Mac 'n Cheese, is it creamy? One thing that looks good is the kids meal at most places.

Last edited:
I have not eaten here, but I know that Harbour Galley has soups. They have a broccoli cheese soup and a clam chowder. I hope you have a great time on your trip.

I have nothing but praise for the food service at DL. They go above and beyond to accommodate dietary needs. Last February,on the night before we flew from Canada to California, I had a gallbladder attack. I begged the ER docs to give me whatever meds I would need and promised to follow the very strict diet. I had no time to research anything but I could have no fat,dairy,spices...bleh. The chefs would make me steamed veggies with no spice, no oils ,steamed fish. It was amazing. I was so grateful for their kindness. I know that Allears has updated menus. If you see something that comes close to what you need minus the spices. It sucks to not be able to eat all the delish treats but being in DL is so worth the trade off.
When we got to WDW I ended up packing in all my own food.

While the tomato soup at Jolly Holiday is indeed tasty, I would be concerned about your "NO spices" comment. I'm not sure what spice(s) they use to achieve it, but the tomato soup does have a slight kick. I would recommend that you ask for an ingredients list for any soup you are considering if your sensitivity to any kind of spice at all will be high. Spices and herbs are common soup ingredients to enhance flavor.

There are milkshakes and smoothies available in DCA.

Kids' meals sometimes come with a gogurt or yogurt type side or a squeeze applesauce, and perhaps someone else in your party would like the rest of the kids' meal?

There are multiple fruit stands in both parks that sell bananas.

Is macaroni and cheese soft enough for you to consume? Many places offer mac and cheese as the kids' meal. You can also get mac and cheese as a side or a la cart at Flo's Diner in DCA.

I understand! In a similar position, not the same reason though. Why no table side quac? If it is for the spices, you can have it without the spices. I generally request it just lime and garlic salt. But you can leave out the garlic salt too. It sounds like the biggest spice issues is with peppery/hot spices?

In addition to the kids' meals, you can purchase the applesauce and go-gurt separately many times (we do this at the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.)

How about chicken if it is cut small?

I wish I could have any kind of meat. Alas the cancer took a way my saliva glands, and trying to get down meat is a real chore (kinda like eating a twig and swallowing the bark). I so love chicken, and especially the chicken at Plaza inn.

I understand! In a similar position, not the same reason though. Why no table side quac? If it is for the spices, you can have it without the spices. I generally request it just lime and garlic salt. But you can leave out the garlic salt too. It sounds like the biggest spice issues is with peppery/hot spices?

In addition to the kids' meals, you can purchase the applesauce and go-gurt separately many times (we do this at the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.)

I have been seriously looking at the Kids meals as they seem to have all the protein that I need to survive. While the table side quac is not a problem, it is the chips that I will have difficulty with. We usually order them without the Jalapenos and no cilantro, the rest of the ingredients "should" be OK.

I wish I could have any kind of meat. Alas the cancer took a way my saliva glands, and trying to get down meat is a real chore (kinda like eating a twig and swallowing the bark). I so love chicken, and especially the chicken at Plaza inn.

As a child I had to dip my chicken in mayo or Miracle Whip, each bite. Would that help? My Mom’s best friend’s husband had the same issue. They blendered all his food. He has been gone a long time, heart attack, he was forced to retire from being a firefighter because of heart issues. The cancer came later. I don’t remember everything they did with his eating.

I know you can get mashed potatoes and gravy at Plaza Inn. I get the gluten free gravy and it's really good. Not spicy, but it is a wee bit salty (which I love). I'm sure their 'regular' gravy would be good too. And Lucky Fortune Cookery should be able to do plain steamed rice and they also have plain cooked chicken that they use in their bowls. They have a couple of sauces, but I don't know if they have a bland one. I know that their gluten free teriyaki is pretty spicy.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from the waitstaff or CM at the register. Just tell them you are on a restricted soft food diet and ask to speak to a chef or kitchen manager. They'll have someone come out to talk to you about your needs, they may or may not be able to tailor something to your needs, but I guarantee you they'll certainly try. I've been going to Disney 'gluten free' (and picky!) since 2004 and they've always been accommodating.

I will say that you'll probably have better luck at table service locations where meals are cooked from scratch. The chefs there have a broader range of fresh ingredients to work with. Counter and Quick service tends to have just the 'basic' ingredients of their regular menus.

I have been seriously looking at the Kids meals as they seem to have all the protein that I need to survive. While the table side quac is not a problem, it is the chips that I will have difficulty with. We usually order them without the Jalapenos and no cilantro, the rest of the ingredients "should" be OK.
Understood. I can't have chips either. But I do like avocado, so I have a little of it while the others enjoy the chips. You can probably handle the tomato soup. The Baked Potato soup is good at Carnation cafe, but it does have chunks of potato. I mashed the chucks up and it works well. The Gumbo probably won't work, between the spice and chunkiness. Boudin on the wharf has a cheddar ale soup that is pretty good. I also bring my premier protein drinks to keep the protein levels up.

Well - for someone with a specific medical condition, Disneyland policy has always been that you can bring your own food, and perhaps even be allowed something like an oversized cooler. However, they've made the unofficial policy that anyone could bring in food is now official. Now eating your own food in a restaurant setting might create an issue.

Gumbo is a kind of stew from Louisiana that's typically served over rice. It may or may not be terribly spicy. There are many variations. It would typically have shrimp, chicken, and sausage, and depending on how small they're sliced they might take more effort to chew. The gumbo served in Disneyland seems to have pieces of sausages sliced into small cubes.

DTD has Jamba Juice. They have an extensive smoothie menu. You can ask for additional protein boosts, as well as extra fruit (e.g. ask for a whole banana -- an extra fee, but really pumps up a smoothie). If the smoothie you want is not on the current menu, but was on the menu in the past, just ask for it and they will make it. And they are very good at customizing. The Chocolate Mooed is high protein and high calorie -- it has saved my day many times at DLR (in a yummy way, too!). I find their smoothies to be easier on my throat and food sensitivities than the ones in DCA (which I can't tolerate for some reason). I think they also have oatmeal on the menu.

DTD has Jamba Juice. They have an extensive smoothie menu. You can ask for additional protein boosts, as well as extra fruit (e.g. ask for a whole banana -- an extra fee, but really pumps up a smoothie). If the smoothie you want is not on the current menu, but was on the menu in the past, just ask for it and they will make it. And they are very good at customizing. The Chocolate Mooed is high protein and high calorie -- it has saved my day many times at DLR (in a yummy way, too!). I find their smoothies to be easier on my throat and food sensitivities than the ones in DCA (which I can't tolerate for some reason). I think they also have oatmeal on the menu.

I am going to have to try the Jamba Juice (have one in my office building) and see what they are like. Where did you get the Chocolate Mooed at? I currently live on oatmeal, banana's and 1000 + calorie milkshakes (ice cream, milk, protein powder, carnation instant breakfast, and quick)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter