Eating in Disney - soft foods/restricted diet

Well - for someone with a specific medical condition, Disneyland policy has always been that you can bring your own food, and perhaps even be allowed something like an oversized cooler. However, they've made the unofficial policy that anyone could bring in food is now official. Now eating your own food in a restaurant setting might create an issue.

The most I would bring in would be high calorie Boost drinks. Other than that, I can get from the soups, and fruit that I can find in the park. I was more worried that I would not be able to get enough the survive on in the parks, and would have to head out of the parks 3-4 times a day to get food. I have a small insulated bag that I can stuff 4-6 drinks into that I can stuff into a locker.

It sounds like you will be okay if you don't mind drinking shakes/smoothies more than once per day. Carnation Cafe has a really good cherry malt.

The broccoli and cheese soup at Harbor Galley is very good. The corn dog cart and some fruit stands have the dehydrated apples that literally melt in your mouth. I think you'll be able to swallow those okay. You can get a side of refried beans in both parks. Most places have pudding or jello for dessert.

There are Starbucks in both parks and in downtown Disney. They have tons of different types of drinks, although, not sure that any of them would be a healthy option. If I am going to have an unhealthy frozen drink, I'd rather go for the cherry malt at Carnation Cafe.

You can get mashed potatoes at both plaza inn and the french market. The mashed potatoes are really good and from what i recall aren't too chunky. I'm not sure if it would be soft enough for you or not, but there's also a place you can get baked potatoes in Disneyland. It's near toon town. But it would be a rather plain option for you as long as it's soft enough. You can find it at Troubadour Tavern.

Congratulations to you on beating cancer! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

The most I would bring in would be high calorie Boost drinks. Other than that, I can get from the soups, and fruit that I can find in the park. I was more worried that I would not be able to get enough the survive on in the parks, and would have to head out of the parks 3-4 times a day to get food. I have a small insulated bag that I can stuff 4-6 drinks into that I can stuff into a locker.
Bring in what you need. Even if doing a table service, as long as everyone else is ordering, it will not be a problem. You should be good in most areas.

The corn dog cart and some fruit stands have the dehydrated apples that literally melt in your mouth.
Just a heads up, if you don't have salivary glands, they won't melt in your mouth. (It's things we take for granted!)

I have found Disney to be very helpful with food issues. I'm very limited also right now, but can always find something at various places. I've also learned to be creative with how I deal with this issue (luckily, I do have an ending date on mine.) To the OP, can you have scrambled eggs?

Congrats on beating cancer. How do you like boost? I do like the premier shakes, and they are high in protein, but are lower in calories.

It sounds like you will be okay if you don't mind drinking shakes/smoothies more than once per day. Carnation Cafe has a really good cherry malt.

The broccoli and cheese soup at Harbor Galley is very good. The corn dog cart and some fruit stands have the dehydrated apples that literally melt in your mouth. I think you'll be able to swallow those okay. You can get a side of refried beans in both parks. Most places have pudding or jello for dessert.

There are Starbucks in both parks and in downtown Disney. They have tons of different types of drinks, although, not sure that any of them would be a healthy option. If I am going to have an unhealthy frozen drink, I'd rather go for the cherry malt at Carnation Cafe.

The Malt sounds yummy as does the broccoli and Cheese soup. Have to pass on the dehydrated apples as I need saliva to get them melting in the mouth.

As for healthy.. at this point, I need the calories and protein.

You can get mashed potatoes at both plaza inn and the french market. The mashed potatoes are really good and from what i recall aren't too chunky. I'm not sure if it would be soft enough for you or not, but there's also a place you can get baked potatoes in Disneyland. It's near toon town. But it would be a rather plain option for you as long as it's soft enough. You can find it at Troubadour Tavern.

Congratulations to you on beating cancer! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks! I have not yet had mashed potatoes, and will have to try them out. The baked potato sounds good as well, lots of butter and sour cream and maybe they will go down.

Just a heads up, if you don't have salivary glands, they won't melt in your mouth. (It's things we take for granted!)

I have found Disney to be very helpful with food issues. I'm very limited also right now, but can always find something at various places. I've also learned to be creative with how I deal with this issue (luckily, I do have an ending date on mine.) To the OP, can you have scrambled eggs?

Congrats on beating cancer. How do you like boost? I do like the premier shakes, and they are high in protein, but are lower in calories.

Thanks for the congrats.... I have shied away from scrambled eggs, but as I move forward, I am willing to try them again. I had a number of poached eggs, and they went down so so.

I enjoy the Boost 365 calorie drinks and I supplement them with protein powder. They are OK, and I would rather eat real food, but they do help me survive right now.

... Where did you get the Chocolate Mooed at?...

The Chocolate Mooed used to be on the regular menu at every Jamba Juice. I haven't had any problem asking for it as an off menu item. Also, there is a Peanut Butter Mooed that I have been meaning to ask for. Both are high protein, high calorie. With a fresh banana mixed in, they should be pretty refreshing and filling.

We are heading to Disneyland in 30 days (woohoo), this trip has been planned for almost a year, and everything was paid for in advance.

BUT….in the past 5 months I have been diagnosed, treated and, I think I, have beaten cancer (throat) but now cannot eat much in the way of solid foods. I am slowly starting to re-learn how to eat, and I can now eat soft oatmeal, most soups (NO spices), some soft fruits (bananas, mangoes, watermelon), and interestingly enough cooked shrimp.

Where, in Disney, can I get soft foods that I can easily eat? I have seen there are several places that have gumbo (what is in a Gumbo), and one other that has a Chowder.

Are there any hidden items that I can ask for when going out to eat?

Suggestions?

Background…..

Because of the radiation, I was unable to eating solid food and I was living on a liquid diet. High calorie/protein shakes are my best friend, and I have 2 or 3 of these every day.

I still cannot swallow properly so have some food restrictions such as meats, and breads. I also have a sensitivity to spiced or peppered dishes as those cause my throat to seize up.
I'm glad to hear that you may have beaten it! What a hard thing to go through. I would contact Disney Dining and see how they can help you--they are very tuned into those needs. Also if you have reservations at any sit-down restaurant with a full kitchen I bet they could make accommodations that aren't on the menu. I manage in a restaurant and it's fairly often that we help people with swallowing difficulty for similar reasons as well as others navigate the menu and/or get the food they want to the consistency they can have. I am sure Disney will do the same for you.

Good luck and I pray that you are done with cancer!

Well - for someone with a specific medical condition, Disneyland policy has always been that you can bring your own food, and perhaps even be allowed something like an oversized cooler. However, they've made the unofficial policy that anyone could bring in food is now official. Now eating your own food in a restaurant setting might create an issue.

Gumbo is a kind of stew from Louisiana that's typically served over rice. It may or may not be terribly spicy. There are many variations. It would typically have shrimp, chicken, and sausage, and depending on how small they're sliced they might take more effort to chew. The gumbo served in Disneyland seems to have pieces of sausages sliced into small cubes.

I wouldn't try the gumbo. My husband loves it but like this poster says, there are shrimp and other solid pieces of meat.

Definitely skip the gumbo. It's not really a soup consistency. It has a lot of chunky stuff in it and a lot of rice, too. Plus, it's spicy.

Definitely skip the gumbo. It's not really a soup consistency. It has a lot of chunky stuff in it and a lot of rice, too. Plus, it's spicy.

Thanks for the heads up.

So far I can see that I should be able to get soups around the park, loads of drinks, and I can bring in my own calorie drinks (Boost) with me.

I am hoping that this will be a successful trip, and that I will not be a downer for the other 1/2 of the team (my wife).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!