ECV Questions-using non disney for rental

fluffybunny88

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!
We have a trip coming up in 9 days and my wife injured her ankle. We aren't sure exactly what it is yet, but it is more than just a sprained ankle, but its not broken. We know it is going to take time for her to recover and the long days at Disney are not conducive to foot/ankle/knee injuries.

We drive to Disney and stay onsite. This trip is a split stay, we are 4 nights at Saratoga Springs, and 1 night at boardwalk.

We are looking into one of the ones that comes apart, I drive a pickup truck and have no problem lifting the heavy or awkward components, the biggest reason we would be looking for the portable option is because we usually drive ourselves to parks, or to dining reservations, vs using transportation, especially if we are staying at Saratoga(this is our first time staying there but have stayed at other resorts with only bus transportation)

My questions are as follows.
1. Is this a reasonable plan to rent one even if we don't need it every day?
2. Is the one that comes apart a good idea?
3. Is there anything we should know? We have never used an ECV, and we have never traveled with anyone needing one, so it is all new to us. I understand ride lines and how that will work, but anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks for your help and advice!

If you have no problems lifting heavy parts, go with Gold Mobility and get the victory 10.2.

What DH does is take off the seat and basket and put it in neutral and put the front wheel on the bumper, then left the back and push. But he has had some people that just flat out manhandle it in, either way works.

The victory 10.2 is much, much more comfortable and I specifically recommend Gold Mobility because they put a metal bar on the bottom that greatly aids in lifting that most of the other companies don't do.

Hello Everyone!
We have a trip coming up in 9 days and my wife injured her ankle. We aren't sure exactly what it is yet, but it is more than just a sprained ankle, but its not broken. We know it is going to take time for her to recover and the long days at Disney are not conducive to foot/ankle/knee injuries.

We drive to Disney and stay onsite. This trip is a split stay, we are 4 nights at Saratoga Springs, and 1 night at boardwalk.

We are looking into one of the ones that comes apart, I drive a pickup truck and have no problem lifting the heavy or awkward components, the biggest reason we would be looking for the portable option is because we usually drive ourselves to parks, or to dining reservations, vs using transportation, especially if we are staying at Saratoga(this is our first time staying there but have stayed at other resorts with only bus transportation)

My questions are as follows.
1. Is this a reasonable plan to rent one even if we don't need it every day?
2. Is the one that comes apart a good idea?
3. Is there anything we should know? We have never used an ECV, and we have never traveled with anyone needing one, so it is all new to us. I understand ride lines and how that will work, but anything else we should be aware of?

Thanks for your help and advice!
I agree with the PP that you could likely handle taking apart the larger ECV and doing it that way. I have rented the "portable" version in the past and it worked well for me so that's an option also. Something to consider for the ones that are marked as portable/easier to break down is that the heavier a person is, the less battery life they will get. I did fine with the portables I had mostly. I also recommend Gold mobility - their battery life and condition of the ECVs are very good in my experience. Perhaps their portable would be fine - the larger one is probably more comfortable if she will be staying in it.

I suggest taking it to the parks and if she wants to walk, she can park it in a designated area (usually with stroller parking) and come back and get it (or you can go get it for her) if she needs it. Before my knees got so bad I often used the ECV about half the day on average. Most line queues will let you take it - so if they're long - it's better to take it on in vs. her getting more tired/in pain.

Walker Mobility has portable scooters that come apart. I always say it's best to have it and not need it , then need it and not have it. They delivery right to your resort or airbnb. They have great rates, awesome customer service and water resistant scooters. I go all day with their scooters and it's just made my trips to the theme parks so easy.

My dad used an ECV for years until several spinal procedures and lots of PT got him off it. Things we learned:

1. Dad always used a portable scooter. He found it perfectly comfortable, and preferred the better maneuverability/turning radius/ease of use. The others are big, heavy, bulky, slower to move but also to stop, and harder to navigate through tight turns. He found them annoying. YMMV.

2. Bring a cushion. Even a small $5 pillow from Walmart will do. Some of the surfaces at the parks are surprisingly rough/bouncy, so having that little bit of extra to sit on is a godsend.

3. The ECV can go through most queues. But things like Peter Pan and the TTA, she'll want to be on her feet. Dad also had a thing about "special treatment" (like loading through the back door at HM), so he usually walked the queue when he could manage it for any ride that has alternate boarding procedures that miss some of the main preshow.

4. If you like the Voices of Liberty, especially if you generally sit on the floor on the edge of the pink circle, leave the ECV outside if she can manage it. Dad learned the hard way that they load ECVs into the main show partway through VOL, and the part of the show you do see is from way up on the balcony. Not an ideal experience. If she doesn't feel up to leaving the ECV, the other option is to go twice, once for the main show and once just for VOL. Just tell the CMs that you're not seeing the main show, and they'll leave you alone.

5. Practice before your trip. Have her get comfortable with one of those big heavy annoying ECVs at the grocery store. Once she learns to drive that, the portable scooter will be a breeze.

6. Pack your patience and a sense of humor. People WILL get in her way. She WILL have moments of difficulty, whether it's misjudging a turn in a queue or taking forever to figure out boarding a boat/monorail/whatever. It's all good, just take a deep breath and find the humor in the situation.

I agree with most of what the previous poster has said, although the Victory 10.2 is definitely what DH and I prefer and I question going only twice for VOL......we usually go to at least two sets (sometimes three) of VOL and then one more time for American Adventure.

My dad used an ECV for years until several spinal procedures and lots of PT got him off it. Things we learned:

1. Dad always used a portable scooter. He found it perfectly comfortable, and preferred the better maneuverability/turning radius/ease of use. The others are big, heavy, bulky, slower to move but also to stop, and harder to navigate through tight turns. He found them annoying. YMMV.

2. Bring a cushion. Even a small $5 pillow from Walmart will do. Some of the surfaces at the parks are surprisingly rough/bouncy, so having that little bit of extra to sit on is a godsend.

3. The ECV can go through most queues. But things like Peter Pan and the TTA, she'll want to be on her feet. Dad also had a thing about "special treatment" (like loading through the back door at HM), so he usually walked the queue when he could manage it for any ride that has alternate boarding procedures that miss some of the main preshow.

4. If you like the Voices of Liberty, especially if you generally sit on the floor on the edge of the pink circle, leave the ECV outside if she can manage it. Dad learned the hard way that they load ECVs into the main show partway through VOL, and the part of the show you do see is from way up on the balcony. Not an ideal experience. If she doesn't feel up to leaving the ECV, the other option is to go twice, once for the main show and once just for VOL. Just tell the CMs that you're not seeing the main show, and they'll leave you alone.

5. Practice before your trip. Have her get comfortable with one of those big heavy annoying ECVs at the grocery store. Once she learns to drive that, the portable scooter will be a breeze.

6. Pack your patience and a sense of humor. People WILL get in her way. She WILL have moments of difficulty, whether it's misjudging a turn in a queue or taking forever to figure out boarding a boat/monorail/whatever. It's all good, just take a deep breath and find the humor in the situation.
Agree — especially the sense of humor part. I find that other people often take their cue from you as far as annoyance goes. If you can laugh at your own “antics” others will too. This even goes to laughing about the reason you are using the “conveyance” in the first place.

I always say: I can laugh or I can cry… so far, I’ve found crying has never improved my situation. So I choose to laugh.😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter