Editing posts and points

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this is not the best place to post this, but I don't know where...

I've been on these boards for over a year now, but there are a couple things I'm still not sure about.

First, what are points? If you do something against regulations, apparently you get them?

Also, what is the etiquette regarding editing a post? Often I see a post that reads "edited to..." so I assume they are explaining why they edited their post. Is this expected? If I notice a grammatical error in my post do I need to explain that this is why I'm editing it?

https://www.disboards.com/help/guidelines/

This link should help. Scroll down and you can see some of the reasons a person could get points, and the consequences for the number of points.

I can’t speak for everyone but my three biggest reasons for editing a post are grammar/ typo fixes, clarity (I re-read it and realize what I’m saying wasn’t very clear), or I have more to add and don’t think it warrants another reply or wouldn’t make as much sense out of the context of my original reply. If I edit for grammar/ typo I don’t usually mention that. If I edit for the other reasons I’ll add “edited for clarity,” or “ETA (edited to add).”

No specific “rules” to editing.

Oooh, technical support, that's where I should have posted this! Thank you for moving it!

The same software used on this forum is also used on another unrelated forum I belong to. On that site, they have modified the software so you cannot edit a post once it is not the latest post on that thread. Reason for that is to prevent someone from changing the content/context of a thread after others have posted comments to avoid confusion. This usually only happens on threads where there is some disagreement. I don't see anything wrong in modifying your post to correct spelling/grammar....etc. or to add another sentence or two to clarify something you posted that wasn't clear. Whether of not you choose to add a 'note' explaining the change is optional and entirely up to you, this site isn't that formal. Only thing I would view as bad 'etiquette' is changing the context of a post so it no longer reads like the original once others have made subsequent remarks.

If someone 'quotes' your post, then even if you modify that post, the copied post does NOT change.

(Points is something you get when you do something inappropriate/not following site rules....it is a bad thing, but further explained above.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter