Effective 2/25/2018, you need at least 75 direct points to qualify for Membership Extras

mrsap

Hey guys! Just went on my member website and saw this in my notifications...

Membership Extras Eligibility
Effective February 25, 2018, to be eligible for Membership Extras, Members must own and maintain a minimum of 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc.

All Members who are eligible for Membership Extras as of February 24 will not be impacted by the 75-Vacation Point requirement, as long as they continue to meet the previously implemented eligibility requirements.

Just noticed this on the Members' Website:

Effective February 25, 2018, to be eligible for Membership Extras, Members must own and maintain a minimum of 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc.

All Members who are eligible for Membership Extras as of February 24 will not be impacted by the 75-Vacation Point requirement, as long as they continue to meet the previously implemented eligibility requirements. For more information, visit
Important Membership Documents.

You'll need to alter your plans to buy at least 75 points directly from Disney if you want the Membership Extras (perks).

Fortunately, DVD is grandfathering those who have at least 25 direct points prior to 2/25/18.

Rumors where right this time.
I guess everyone saw this coming, 25 points was too good to stay that way.
And Disney is grandfathering everyone again, which is good and I'm glad no one who purchased a small add-on for this reason is impacted.
Also, membership extras are here to stay and possibly even improve, they evidently work as a sales incentive.

First off, phew. Glad I got in when I could.
Secondly, the people on these boards really know how to read the Disney tea leaves. I was constantly seeing a 50 point minimum as the most likely change, and 75 points is not too far off of that. They also correctly predicted that previous grandfathered owners would still be counted.

As for those worried about the 75 point add on, here is what I consider to be the best options:
If you are currently waiting on a resale contract at one particular resort, you can buy a 50 point contract and still get the full benefits. More expensive than 25, but cheaper than 75.
If you own resale right now and are being waitlisted for your resort add-on, you can always look into adding on elsewhere.

I have a resale that closed last week, but still waiting on Disney to do their magic and create my account. In looking at other people’s timelines, that part takes some time for first time buyers. So I will be cutting it close to say the least. My plan was always to add on 50 direct to get to the amount of points I wanted in addition to the resale contract. Should I just call Disney now and try and get the points since I don’t really need the resale contract to get 50 direct from Disney?

I have a resale that closed last week, but still waiting on Disney to do their magic and create my account. In looking at other people’s timelines, that part takes some time for first time buyers. So I will be cutting it close to say the least. My plan was always to add on 50 direct to get to the amount of points I wanted in addition to the resale contract. Should I just call Disney now and try and get the points since I don’t really need the resale contract to get 50 direct from Disney?

Yes. Depending on how important the extra benefits are to you, you could even buy them with a new UY. It would be two separate contracts and a bit of a mess if you did that, but it would work to get you grandfathered in.

If I were in you I'd call Disney tomorrow morning, talk to a guide and tell them you'd buy a 50pts add-on only if you can close before the cut off date and they have to ensure the two contracts end up under the same membership (chances of Disney IT messing up and creating two different memberships are quite high).

If you want the ME, I'd call on Monday and see if they can fill your order Be sure to tell them that you just closed and want the points to be an add-on to that contract (I'm assuming you do). My guess is that you are just a few days away from getting your membership number and resale points loaded, so that shouldn't be a problem. Depending on what resort you want, availability could be the larger issue. Good luck!

Just noticed this on the Members' Website:

All Members who are eligible for Membership Extras as of February 24 will not be impacted by the 75-Vacation Point requirement, as long as they continue to meet the previously implemented eligibility requirements. For more information, visit
Important Membership Documents.

You'll need to alter your plans to buy at least 75 points directly from Disney if you want the Membership Extras (perks).

Fortunately, DVD is grandfathering those who have at least 25 direct points prior to 2/25/18.

Thanks for merging our threads!

While this announcement has been expected for quite some time, the timing of it lining up with ticket price increases seems like its almost a defensive move on Disney's part. Platinum annual passes have gone up to $850 each, while gold is only $590. That $260 spread is greater than it was just last week. Things are only expected to raise even more dramatically next year, before Star Wars land opens. I could see a lot of people just buying 50 direct points to get a hotel stay every other year, as well as the cheaper gold pass tickets, which would also allow them to stay off site on their "off" years. This minimum point requirement makes it harder for people to "use" DVC for this purpose.

I bought resale by last November and 30 points direct at BLT by November 24, so I could get the 2017 points on a December use year. I then used two unused tickets to bridge to the DVC AP gold pass and paid the $150 difference total for poth (at guest services before the January 3 deadline). I've got my perks and will activate my AP around Halloween, so I'm good to go through October, 2019 before I have to worry about any more price increases.

Absolutely, yes! There are already waitlists for many resorts and UY so there's no guarantee you're gonna get in, but I'd be calling NOW!

Yikes. I was in the process of finding the right resale BLT contract as was going to add on 25 points. Since I'm only looking to own 125-150 points this really messes up my plans. I wouldn't mind adding on 75 points, but it's awfully hard to find a 50-75 point contract at BLT on resale as opposed to the 100-125 I was looking for. Trying to buy 50 direct today would require them to have the inventory and then find a 75-100 point resale contract that matched the UY of the direct points (even if they had them). UGH.

Called, got a guide. He "thinks" he has the points I need (AKV, Dec UY), said he'd call me back... it's been about 30 minutes. Hoping that's not a bad sign!

I was totally impulsive when I bought our 25 point add on in December-kinda “well, I bet this will change so might as well pull the trigger now”-so glad I did! I also took rveryone’s Advice on the DL boards and bought my parkhoppers for our trip this June last night-and they increased today.

It’s very unlike us to have this kind of financial luck. We typically operate by buying high and selling low.:crazy2:

Yikes. I was in the process of finding the right resale BLT contract as was going to add on 25 points. Since I'm only looking to own 125-150 points this really messes up my plans. I wouldn't mind adding on 75 points, but it's awfully hard to find a 50-75 point contract at BLT on resale as opposed to the 100-125 I was looking for. Trying to buy 50 direct today would require them to have the inventory and then find a 75-100 point resale contract that matched the UY of the direct points (even if they had them). UGH.

Yep. Sadly that's what they are going for. In your case, suddenly it makes almost just as much sense to just buy it all direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!