Egypt Meets Thread

We are booked on the October Egypt ABD. I wasn't aware of the 28 day quarantine upon entering the country. Yikes. We don't want to travel until there is a vaccine, so at this point I'm hoping for a cancellation. Is the PIF still 120 days out? Or did they move it to 90 days? I am soon to be faced with the decision: PIF and hope for cancellation (and possibly lose the $$ if they decide to go) or move the deposit to another trip next year. Not keen on having any kind of non-refundable travel booked for next year, so leaning towards PIF, but would not be happy if forced to travel or lose our money. Decisions, decisions. I can talk myself out of either decision :scared:.
Looks like your PIF date is still 120 days out, as from the AbD site they’ve only pushed it to 90 days out for departures through September. From the AbD Covid-19 page -

TEMPORARY FINAL PAYMENT EXTENSION
Beginning March 19, 2020, a Final Payment Extension will be automatically added to all reservations for adventures departing July 15 through September 30, 2020.

Final payments will be extended out an additional 30 days.

They reduced the 28 day quarantine to 7 today. Hopefully it will be gone in the next month or so. I am hoping for our trip in October to be a go. https://egyptianstreets.com/2020/05...arantine-for-overseas-arrivals-to-seven-days/
I read the announcement differently. It says that after nationals spend 7 days in a quarantine facility and test negative they are required to isolate at home:

If a person’s results after seven days are negative for COVID-19, they will be released and required to isolate themselves in their own homes.

I have no interest in traveling to Egypt this year. I hope that ABD either cancels the trip or allows those booked to move their money to a 2021 or 2022 trip without penalty. I realize we are all different and hope that anyone who wants to travel does get the chance to go.

We were supposed to be on the June 2nd departure. We rolled our $$$ to another trip and the ABD booked airfare we took as a credit since we have another trip booked.

The company we booked 2 full day private tours with refunded us in full too even though they didn't have to.

Still not sure if our trip will be a go, but I did notice on the ABD website that we are now the inaugural Egypt ABD starting Sept 15. Ha, ha! They cancelled the July dates and I am not sure if there were August ones. In any case, they no longer appear on the website. We went ahead and booked our air through ABD assuming we will get full refunds should the trip be cancelled. At this point, even if the trip is a go regarding COVID-19, there may not be enough people on it for it to be a go due to cancellations. Right now any foreign travelers who arrive in Egypt must self-quarantine for 28 days! We are still hanging in there but are really not sure if this trip will happen. How about you? Paid in full date is coming up in June!

Still not sure if our trip will be a go, but I did notice on the ABD website that we are now the inaugural Egypt ABD starting Sept 15. Ha, ha! They cancelled the July dates and I am not sure if there were August ones. In any case, they no longer appear on the website. We went ahead and booked our air through ABD assuming we will get full refunds should the trip be cancelled. At this point, even if the trip is a go regarding COVID-19, there may not be enough people on it for it to be a go due to cancellations. Right now any foreign travelers who arrive in Egypt must self-quarantine for 28 days! We are still hanging in there but are really not sure if this trip will happen. How about you? Paid in full date is coming up in June!
Poor ABD. They just have had the worst luck with their Egypt trips!! It's really too bad, considering how incredibly popular this trip turned out to be! Hopefully everyone who wants to gets to go either this year or 2021.
I read the announcement differently. It says that after nationals spend 7 days in a quarantine facility and test negative they are required to isolate at home:

If a person’s results after seven days are negative for COVID-19, they will be released and required to isolate themselves in their own homes.

I have no interest in traveling to Egypt this year. I hope that ABD either cancels the trip or allows those booked to move their money to a 2021 or 2022 trip without penalty. I realize we are all different and hope that anyone who wants to travel does get the chance to go.
I agree with your interpretation. The following couple of excerpts specifically indicate they are talking about Egyptians returning from abroad (bolding mine):

"Al-Ahram, citing a Health Ministry source, says the decision was taken to reduce overcrowding at quarantine facilities and to allow all Egyptians who return from abroad the opportunity to undergo mandatory quarantine."

" However, there’s no indication that self-isolation will be enforced by law or that police will conduct check-ins, and it remains unclear how this will be done for the thousands of Egyptians who are expected to return from the Gulf countries."

Sayhello

Last edited:

We have come to the same decision, a Sept 2020 trip isn’t ideal for us. We want to feel safe and healthy on such a big adventure. And enjoy it the way it was meant to be... without a mask. So now we have a big decision on cancelling before ABD does, or cancel on our own.

We have decided it is best for us to be the "cancellee" vs. the "canceller". We have booked our air and insurance through ABD to minimize our risk figuring we will get our $$ back. Pretty sure our trip will not be a go, but who knows at this point. We figure so many people have probably cancelled that the trip will probably not go either way. We are thinking of booking an Egypt 2021 trip as a back up at this point since the deposit is refundable.

We have decided it is best for us to be the "cancellee" vs. the "canceller". We have booked our air and insurance through ABD to minimize our risk figuring we will get our $$ back. Pretty sure our trip will not be a go, but who knows at this point. We figure so many people have probably cancelled that the trip will probably not go either way. We are thinking of booking an Egypt 2021 trip as a back up at this point since the deposit is refundable.
I have to decide this as well. I'd like ABD to extend our PIF to 90 days, but we are 99.9% sure that we won't travel to Egypt (or anywhere overseas) in 2020. However I'd really like my deposit back, which is why I am contemplating actually paying in full (but the thought of doing this makes me cringe). I'd consider moving the deposit to NZ in 2022, but it's just too far out for me.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/north-africa/egypt/latest-egypt-travel-warnings-alerts
Looks like the 28 day quarantine is still in effect. Hotels are only allowing domestic travelers. Masks are mandatory and restaurants are not open.
The Nile Ritz Carlton website says it is still accepting guests and its restaurants are open, at least to guests. I just tried and made a reservation with breakfast for tomorrow to see if I could and it accepted it. Of course, I promptly cancelled....

I am on an October trip. I am really scared to go, not sure what I will do at this point as I don't want to lose my deposit and airfare (through ABD). If it was just the deposit, I would definitely cancel.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/north-africa/egypt/latest-egypt-travel-warnings-alerts
Looks like the 28 day quarantine is still in effect. Hotels are only allowing domestic travelers. Masks are mandatory and restaurants are not open.

And the US Dept. of State says there is a14 day quarantine. Egyptian newspapers say 7. It is all over the place! So confusing. I am still hopeful for October. If Disney doesn't go, we are planning on doing it on our own with the refund money (if we can get the flights over there). It will will be an experience :)

And the US Dept. of State says there is a14 day quarantine. Egyptian newspapers say 7. It is all over the place! So confusing. I am still hopeful for October. If Disney doesn't go, we are planning on doing it on our own with the refund money (if we can get the flights over there). It will will be an experience :)
From what I've read, currently the 7 day quarantine is only for Egyptian nationals returning to Egypt from other countries. The 14 day quarantine is still in place for people from other countries.

Sayhello

We have an October departure date and I was pleased to receive an email this morning from ABD extending final payment deadlines for all trips through the end of October an additional 30 days
I received the same e-mail; it allows us more time to decide what to do: move the deposit or play chicken with ABD (to see if they cancel). With dd's freshman year of university up in the air (we don't know if she will be online or on campus), there is no way I can commit to a trip. Not to mention there is no way I will be travelling anywhere overseas at this time. Not even sure where I would park the deposit (New Zealand 2022 or Backstage Magic). I am not even sure if I can move the deposit since I think the deposit for this trip was moved from a previously booked trip.

I am not even sure if I can move the deposit since I think the deposit for this trip was moved from a previously booked trip.

ABD is allowing you you to move the deposit one more time even if it was moved from a previous booking. I had the same issue with my September Rhine cruise deposit which had been moved earlier from a September Egypt trip. What I finally ended up doing is booking a September 2021 Canadian Rockies trip as a new booking because the early booking discount for the two of us was $1500 plus the booking came with the refundable until final payment cancellation policy. I then went ahead and cancelled my current booking losing the deposit which was less than the early booking discount I received on the new booking. So for me, I came out better by doing it that way- more flexibility with this new booking and saved a few dollars.

We were booked for a Feb 2021 departure and we just moved it to March 2022. TBH, that's still a little soon for me - wish it was Fall 2022. But we did the one-time deposit move that folks upthread mentioned. We were on the fence about changing dates, but once we did we just felt SO MUCH better.

I see on this thread people who are moving their trips or how the number of people on their trips is now very small. Ours is October 20 2020 and is still listed as accepting for a waiting list. I just heard back from my email to my vacationista (Enid, who I think is incredibly helpful and I really like) that our trip has 40 guests confirmed.

So apparently we are not the only ones who still hope it is safe to go, and are trusting Disney to guide us.

We have NO issues wearing a mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!