• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Employment at WDW

Eeyoreluver

DS and DD CP Alumni
I would like to work this summer for Disney. My question is has anyone seen a disabled person working there? I am not in a wheelchair or ECV all the time.
When we have gone to Disney in the past, I rented a wheel chair the first time I needed one and then an ECV the next time. The first time we went I was able to walk, not anymore though. I just can't stand for more than about 15 minutes at a time. I know most of the cast members have to walk or stand for almost all of their shift. I called the job hotline and was told to come in and apply. I don't live in Florida so I can't just come in and apply. If Disney hires people like me who have to sit most of the time, then I will make a trip to Florida to apply. I just don't want to go and apply if I don't even stand a chance.

I have seen cast members that work at Walt Disney World in wheelchairs. WDW is one of the largest or the largest single site in the world, they have to make accomodations for disabilities. Whether it is a seat so you can run a cash register or maybe you could work at one of the kidcot stations or EPCOT. There are lots of different things I am sure you could do from a seated position. They have to accomodate disabilities or they could get in serious trouble. If you are seriously interested I would recommend trying to get down so you can apply and have an interview. I hope this helps. Good Luck

Becky

Becky, thank you so much for responding. We had our own business for almost 10 years and so I haven't worked anywhere else for a long time. Definitely not since I have had the problems I have now. Just knowing someone has seen people working there with disabilites makes me feel better. Our business was just my husband and myself. I am so excited now. :Pinkbounc
Thanks again,
Gina

I've seen several cast members that are in wheelchairs, and a few others that are heavily dependent on a walker or cane.

Eeyoreluver, I have personally worked with CMs in wheelchairs. One was my friend in Adventureland/Frontierland- his name is Leo. He is a REALLY nice guy, too. Another is this girl I worked with a couple times for Main Street PAC. She was really nice too. So if you put your mind to it, you can do it. So don't worry about the wheelchair being an issue. (Also, I saw several greeters in wheelchairs).

I'll put my two-cents in here too, we just got back a couple of weeks ago and after riding mission to space the women helping me find a restroom was also in a wheelchair. She also was kind enough to call lost and found for us , and went what I thought was the extra mile by getting me a copy of a map as to where their lost and found was.

We were assisted by a wonderful woman at the POP front desk in an ECV. She was the only one who seemed to have any idea what was going on that day. Absolutely wonderful woman, dont remember her name... I would apply! Definitely! :flower:

We have seen quite a few people with disabilities working at WDW too.

WDW employs CM's with many different disabilities- I have seen one woman who is blind with a service dog for instance. Where there's a will, there's a way and being disabled shouldn't stop anyone from finding employment. ---Kathy

I forgot to add that I work fulltime while confined to a power chair, ventilator dependent 24/7, using a feeding pump 24/7 and needing assistance for ADL's. I now have a wonderful service dog to assist me at home, work, and in the community. I figure if I can work, just about anybody can ( yes, I do know there are people who can't, but just wanted to be encouraging for those who can but maybe thought they couldn't....). Oh, and I'm a widow with four children who fortunately are now older, but when they were younger I was their sole support. We still struggle but at least I know I'm doing all I can and trying to instill in them a good work ethic. I could easily stay home and receive social security but we'd not have adequate income and my kids are used to eating. Good luck with your employment at WDW! :-) ---Kathy again

I remember the best cashier at Mara at AKL - just happenes that she was in a wheelchair.

SyracuseWolvrine said:
I've seen several cast members that are in wheelchairs, and a few others that are heavily dependent on a walker or cane.
::yes::
I've seen CM's through the years in chairs, ECV's and with canes and walkers. IIRC, the greeter CM at HM was in a chair on my last trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter