End of Aug Free Dining

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Just doing some early planning (we have cruises planned this year and next, but then we are due for Disney World). Not sure if we will be able to stand the heat, but last week in August is a good time for us to travel in general. Is free dining always offered? I'm not seeing it at this point for Aug 2019.

PS - Just how bad is Aug? We went to Disneyland last summer to avoid the humidity and it was pretty hot in the day.

We've done August 3x in the past 4 years. There is no guarantee, but yes, they usually have free dining during that time. The offer for it usually comes out in late April.

It is very hot and humid. but, if take it slow, bring some cooling towels, drink lots of water, it's not that bad.

Thank you. And for free dining, deluxe resorts include main dining plan where value include quick service, right?

Are lines for rides typically in the shade?

When we were there a few years ago at the tail-end of August/beginning of September, it was definitely pretty hot. On the other hand, most of the waits for attractions were really low, with many in HS and Epcot being walk-ons for the majority of the trip. So it's hot outside, but you are in and out of attractions pretty quickly and usually the queue has reached or is really close to the inside portion. Overall, we were mostly able to stay in the shade, in the AC, or in an attraction the majority of the time and that kept it from feeling too oppressive.

I believe that late August has been included since FD started in 2005 so I would count on it being included in 2019 if free dining is offered.
You're not seeing free dining for August 2019 yet because the booking dates for this year are closed and the promo for next year's travel will not come out until next year. Lately it has been released in late April for travel in August, September, November, and December.

As far as the weather... its extremely hot and humid. We are talking 95 and after the heat index it feels like 105-110.
Sweat rolls down your back after about 2 minutes lol.
There are often short but powerful thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Also last week of August through the 3rd week of September is the absolute peak for hurricanes.
I've been during this time 8 times.
It seems to get easier to handle the more I go during that time since I know what I'm in for.

Thank you. And for free dining, deluxe resorts include main dining plan where value include quick service, right?

Are lines for rides typically in the shade?

QSDP for values and moderates. DDP for deluxe.
You can upgrade dining plans by paying the difference.

Unlike DL lines for rides at WDW ARE at the very least shaded if not under a shelter and/or INSIDE a building.
Much easier to handle the heat at WDW vs DL in my opinion. When I went to DL both times were late June and both times it was during a heat wave.
I felt sick from the heat and sun and standing right in it waiting for rides.
I never get like that at WDW. I'm sweating like crazy for a few minutes while walking but then I get in a line and I'm just fine.

Thank you for the comments. Makes sense then why I'm not seeing free dining at this point. Obviously then if you have a booking and then free dining comes up in April, then you can have it applied to your existing booking.

Good to hear too that most queues are shaded so you're not in the sun long. That's the killer...when the sun is shining down. Sounds like crowds are pretty good then too.

Thank you for the comments. Makes sense then why I'm not seeing free dining at this point. Obviously then if you have a booking and then free dining comes up in April, then you can have it applied to your existing booking.

Good to hear too that most queues are shaded so you're not in the sun long. That's the killer...when the sun is shining down. Sounds like crowds are pretty good then too.
You MAY be able to modify an existing reservation to include the discount but not always. If free dining is what makes or breaks the bank for you then I wouldn't book until it is actually released.

We went the first week in Sept this year. It definitely was hot and humid, but we took opportunities to do attractions in the air conditioning and do more in the evening/night hours. We also drank a lot of water and brought some electrolyte powder to add to our water. The worst line for me was Alien Swirling Saucers. Some of it is under cover, but there was no air-flow and it was HOT! That being said, I feel like we tolerated the heat better at Disney than we ever could of at home. It's the Disney Magic :flower1:

You MAY be able to modify an existing reservation to include the discount but not always. If free dining is what makes or breaks the bank for you then I wouldn't book until it is actually released.

Could you give an example where you wouldn't be able to modify your booking to include the discount?

We are booked for next August without the free dining and thought we could just add it if the promo came out for our dates.

Bill

Could you give an example where you wouldn't be able to modify your booking to include the discount?

We are booked for next August without the free dining and thought we could just add it if the promo came out for our dates.

Bill

There are a limited number of rooms available under any type of promotion, whether it’s a room only discount or free dining discount. So you may find availability at your resort and room category of your choice at rack rate, but when you plug in the promotion there may not be availability.

Standard room categories typically get snapped up first and are hardest to get the promotion under.

Bill

Well I personally have never tried to modify an existing booking to include a discount so I don't have first hand experience but I can tell you that there are plenty of people on here that after FD has been released have come on to say they had to book a new reservation because the modify button did not work or when they called they were told they were not eligible for the discount.

One example I can think of though is say you are booked in a LM room at AOA... Those rooms are excluded so you would not be eligible to take advantage of free dining.

Also you have to think of discounts this way... Discounts are to draw people in. If you're alredy booked you're already drawn in and they don't need to give you a thing.
Hence if having a discount is what makes or breaks your trip its better to hold off on booking until the discounts come out.
If a discount would just be a great money saving surprise then you should book exactly what you want and if you can modify to get a discount then great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!