England & France: Cities of Knights & Lights (London & Paris) Meets Thread

We are going on the adult trip in Sept. We have 1 pre-day and 2 post days. We haven't decided what to do with the post-days, but we will probably see some Chateaux in the Loire Valley.

May I suggest that you look up a Coach tour ( from Paris ) that takes in the Normandy Beaches of WW2

Requesting help from anyone that's been on the London/Paris tour. I'm going in August and was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions:

1) Do I need an adapter and/or converter for apple iphone & watch and curling iron?
2) Should I get some currency from my bank to take with me?
3) Can I use my VISA for most transactions or is cash preferred?
4) What time in the morning do you need to be ready for the day?

1. Yes
2. No need, imo. Atms everywhere and you'll probably get a better rate, even with atm fee.
3. Yes, but you might want to keep a bit of currency (50$ or so) for taxis, and the rare places that don't take cards. Cards are better- no leftover currency. These are NOT cities with lots of cash only places.
4. About 8am, give or take a half hour to an hour. But you'll need to get breakfast first, which is usually at 7am. Or 7:30...

Requesting help from anyone that's been on the London/Paris tour. I'm going in August and was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions:

1) Do I need an adapter and/or converter for apple iphone & watch and curling iron?
The apple iphone only needs an adapter. But you'll need 2 different adapters, one for London & one for Paris, as the UK and France plugs are completely different. For the curling iron, it depends. You'll need to look closely at the tiny print on it and see if it's dual voltage or not. If it is, it will show that it can handle both 110-120V (USA) and 220-240V (London/Paris). If it *is* dual voltage, then all you'll need is an adapter (2 different ones like for the iphone). If it is *not* dual voltage, you'll need a converter. I'm going to suggest here, if it's *not* dual voltage, leave it at home, and buy yourself one that is. Curling irons don't work very well with converters. I've had a lot of problems with them, and just bought a dual voltage one.
Everyone is different, but I always like to arrive in a foreign country with at least a little bit of foreign currency on me. It doesn't happen often, but if something goes wrong with your transportation, you *might* have to take a taxi and get reimbursed at the hotel. And a lot of taxis don't take credit cards. I just feel better knowing I have at least a little bit of cash on me, because your dollars will be useless as soon as you land.
Yes, you will probably be able to use VISA for most transactions. But have some cash just in case, because you never know, you might want to eat something quick or buy a souvenir somewhere that doesn't take credit cards. Also, make sure your credit card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. Those fees can really add up!

Sayhello

4) What time in the morning do you need to be ready for the day?

We just did this trip in early June and here are my thoughts:
1) The Landmark hotel was great - it had a ton of plugs including a strip on the desk that included USB plug in's and I am pretty sure there was one outlet that was standard US size. At the Hilton in Paris, there were several USB plug-in's (some worked, some didn't) and then you needed an adapter for the other plugs. As in most European hotels, there were not any outlets in the bathrooms so be prepared to use hairdryer (provided by both hotels) and your curling iron in an awkward spot without a mirror.
2) we did not take any local currency with us. When we landed in Heathrow we stopped at an ATM to get British currency (there is also an ATM at the train station right across from the Landmark) we were able to get Euros from the ATM in the station in London before we boarded the EuroStar (our guides pointed it out to us, it was in the area after you pass through security)
3) we used our Visa and AMex for most everything except when we were buying things at street markets (food tour) and other street vendors or quick purchases
4) most of the mornings were early - 8:30 meeting at the bus on most days (meaning breakfast was before), one day was 8 am and on the day we left for Paris bags had to be ready for pick up at 6:15. The two days that we finally got to have a late start of 9 and 9:30 everyone on the bus cheered and I think everyone felt much more refreshed those days. These are exhausting trips, but worth it. Even my late sleeping teens felt it was worth it (I won't say that they did not complain, but we never missed the bus :) )

I've

I got the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit, which has adapters for all over the world. I've used the UK, Europe, and Australia adapters (and the North America one) so far and hope to use more in the future!

If you belong to AAA, you can get currency through their travel office. I always like to start with a bit of local currency, just in case.

Thank you all So Much for this valuable information. I do have a couple more questions: 1) Since we'll be going a day early, I was wondering if an oyster card is recommended, and if so, should I buy it beforehand? 2) Does London have bike-share? 3) Will we have the same guides in London & Paris? 4) How do you suggest tipping each of them?

Thank you all So Much for this valuable information. I do have a couple more questions: 1) Since we'll be going a day early, I was wondering if an oyster card is recommended, and if so, should I buy it beforehand? 2) Does London have bike-share? 3) Will we have the same guides in London & Paris? 4) How do you suggest tipping each of them?

Hi there. A couple of thoughts for you

1) we went two days early and did not get an Oyster card. I think it depends how much you plan to use Tube (which is very convenient to the hotel). We were doing a few things further out so we used car service and taxis for those and then just paid cash for the Tube ride we took.
2) I don't know the answer, but I bet they do.
3) Yes, your two ABD guides will be with you from Day One through the end of the trip. You will have local guides join you in London and Paris, but those are not your official ABD guides and you do not need to tip the local guides.
4) The guides that have been doing this trip this year are a mix of Americans and Brits. There are plenty of options to go to an ATM so you could tip them in local currency if you wish. I had brought USD for tips with me from home so that is what I used to tip with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter