Episode 9 moved to December release

Well that figures...

Especially since it has to be "written"...

Huh? How do you not have a story (at least a very detailed outline) by now?

Why does the director get autonomy over the most valuable movie franchise in history?

I really am wondering what's going on at Lucasfilm...I'm beginning to think all decisions are decrees from the dwarf building...and in the end LFL execs are not strong enough at all to protect the IP...as many originally feared (I wasn't one of them)

Last edited:
Not surprised either. When I read that the director had been replaced, I assumed there was no way they were going to make the January 2018 production date. Maybe WDW will have Star Wars Galaxy's Edge open in time for the premier on 12/20/2019.

Not surprised either. When I read that the director had been replaced, I assumed there was no way they were going to make the January 2018 production date. Maybe WDW will have Star Wars Galaxy's Edge open in time for the premier on 12/20/2019.

Why WOULDN'T it be?

Respectfully, we need to raise our standards. Construction began 2016...there are no excuses...

Why WOULDN'T it be?

Respectfully, we need to raise our standards. Construction began 2016...there are no excuses...
Given the time it took them to complete new fantasyland, I wouldn't place any bets. I just hope they get it open before it's my time to join the netherworld of the force.

People need to realize that Disney filmed entertainment is not doing as great as many think it is. Warner Brothers and Universal are both red-hot in areas that Disney had previously "owned"...namely Superhero films and animation.

Disney is coming off two duds with Pirates 5 and Cars 3.

Pirates barely broke even and Cars 3 is going to be a huge loss and before anyone talks about "merchandise" all reports have been that Cars 3 merchandise is sitting on store shelves.

Universal just hit a BILLION dollars worldwide with Despicable Me 3 at an $80 million production budget. Cars 3? At a rumoured budget of $200 million it is currently at a worldwide gross of $350 million. Understand that Disney only gets *half* of that so it will be a huge loss.

And does anyone really think Coco is going to make much this Thanksgiving? It looks like it may do even worse than 2015's The Good Dinosaur.

People need to realize that Disney filmed entertainment is not doing as great as many think it is. Warner Brothers and Universal are both red-hot in areas that Disney had previously "owned"...namely Superhero films and animation.

Pirates barely broke even and Cars 3 is going to be a huge loss and before anyone talks about "merchandise" all reports have been that Cars 3 merchandise is sitting on store shelves.

Universal just hit a BILLION dollars worldwide with Despicable Me 3 at an $80 million production budget. Cars 3? At a rumoured budget of $200 million it is currently at a worldwide gross of $350 million. Understand that Disney only gets *half* of that so it will be a huge loss.

And does anyone really think Coco is going to make much this Thanksgiving? It looks like it may do ven worse than 2015's The Good Dinosaur.

Though I don't think it's quite that dire, it is no doubt a very bad disney year (till December 18th) as compared with 2015 and 2016

And does anyone really think Coco is going to make much this Thanksgiving? It looks like it may do even worse than 2015's The Good Dinosaur.
Marvel is still doing quite well.

I don't see any reason to believe Coco will be worse than Good Dino. People will go to see the frozen short alone.

May...

But they have done that and pushed the last 2 back...I don't even know why they bother with the shell game
Yep, they waited a bit longer to push this one back than the previous two though. The director change made it kind of obvious.

I don't see any reason to believe Coco will be worse than Good Dino. People will go to see the frozen short alone.
Also DC put out their first good film of this reboot with Wonder Woman. How justice league will do remains to be seen

Huh? Not doing so well?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/

Disney is still the #1 grossing studio, with far fewer films than their closest competition. And besides Coco, they still have Thor Ragnarok and Star Wars this year.

As far as Star Wars, don't forget they had to rewrite the script once Carrie Fisher passed away, as she was going to be a major part of that story. One plausable explanation I heard re the departure of the director for XI was that once a rewrite became necessary, he and the LucasFilm story group couldn't agree on that rewrite.

It's an interesting way to form an argument. You mention examples where Disney did bad and an example where Universal did well.

Wouldn't it be more fair to at least include "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" and "The Mummy" to get a more complete picture?

Last edited:

They arne't perfect but it's far from a bad situation. as others here have pointed out they are still the top grossing studio with fewer films too. And Pirates 5 wasn't a billion dollar movie but it was close, and it didn't make a huge profit solely because they spent so much on the film. If it had a smaller production budget it would have been a massive success, and is still considered successful. And that is without the help of dvd/blu ray/digital copy sales yet, which is where studios tend to make a lot of money from their films as well.
As for Cars 3, that was always considered to be the weakest franchise for Pixar storywise. It's hit well with young boys and does really wellf or merchandise sales so it kept going. Despicable Me is another widely popular franchise though with many so if it didn't do well that would have been a bigger shaock than Cars 3 not doing as strongly. However looking at the films and you can see where the quality is (possibly with the cost reflecting that). Cars 3, while not getting rave reviews, received decent response and was a stronger sequel, whereas Despicable Me 3 was pretty well panned.
Plus Universal has their own woes as well and Despicable Me is more of the franchise carrying them this year as they have had a lot of poorer response liek with The Mummy, which is meant to kickstart a cinematic universe, of which there is two years until the next film even. Will be interesting to see how Pitch Perect does for them this christmas.

As for Star Wars itself, this news wasn't really surprising. The films have been getting pushed back to December in general for releases so many wondered if this was going to ahppen from the get go. But having a new director and script rewrites with Carrie Fisher's death jsut made it the more logical move as well. I don't take this as a bad sign at all.

Probably why they decided to attach "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" to that film instead of airing it on TV like they originally planned. I think that short alone will help put Coco above The Good Dinosaur on he numbers.

As for the box office in general, there are some analysts predicting that a massive bubble burst could be coming soon for the entire industry (in 2018 possibly). I wouldn't be shocked if this does happen given the amount of tired and unappetizing sequels and spinoffs ALL the studios are putting out. We're already seeing signs this year of the summer box office being the worst it's been in 10 years. I know it's happening cause I have to yet to see one single movie this year in theaters. And last year I know I only saw 3.

I think Coco is a cool concept and I even have faith in the execution. But I just feel it won't resonate with the mass audience which is unfortunate. Purely speculation though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter