Escape from Gringotts just.... meh

I love Disney and Universal. I loved the Mine Train and I loved Escape from Gringotts. However, no one clapped and applauded when the Mine Train was over like they did for Gringotts. I really feel DA and Gringotts is an entire experience. The energy you feel in DA is unlike anything I have ever felt before. It really is like you are in a different world!

Yeah, why are there so few true AAs anywhere at Universal? Disney parks are brimming with AAs. The only ones I've seen at Universal are the sorting hat, Imhotep (love that one) the Jurassic Park dinosaurs, and, uh...I'm sure there are a couple others :confused3

Don't get me wrong, I love Spider-Man and Transformers. I'm glad that Universal has done amazing things with 3D/4D (King Kong 360 at Universal Hollywood is also very well done). But after the great mix of elements that they put into FJ, it's a bit of a let down to learn that Gringotts is mostly 3D again (and yes, based on the concept art, I did expect that the new ride would be some kind of coaster).

I could be wrong, but I feel like they already pushed 3D/4D about as far as it will go. So it's time to do something else?

Granted, I haven't had a chance to ride Gringotts yet. But I wouldn't be totally shocked if I end up preferring 7DMT. I love an old-school ride which uses modern tech to create impressive effects. That was certainly how I felt when I rode Radiator Springs Racers for the first (and second, third, fourth) time.

Why does Universal need to be like Disney? :confused3

Maybe Disney should be more like Universal and have less AAs. Maybe they've pushed the little dancing 3D figures enough.

There are lots of AAs in Diagon Alley. None in the actual ride part but lots in the queue for the ride and at other places throughout Diagon itself.

I rode Gringotts yesterday and find it to be an excellent mild thrills ride. It's queue area is spectacular and the effects and scenes on the ride are well done. I would ride it over and over if the line wasn't do long.

Why does Universal need to be like Disney? :confused3

Maybe Disney should be more like Universal and have less AAs. Maybe they've pushed the little dancing 3D figures enough.

There are lots of AAs in Diagon Alley. None in the actual ride part but lots in the queue for the ride and at other places throughout Diagon itself.

I've never read a post that says "Disney is relying too heavily on AAs and sets". I've read plenty of posts that say "Universal is relying too heavily on screens."

Simple as that. There is a clear backlash against heavy use of screens in rides. Maybe Universal should listen to that feedback.

I've never read a post that says "Disney is relying too heavily on AAs and sets". I've read plenty of posts that say "Universal is relying too heavily on screens."

Simple as that. There is a clear backlash against heavy use of screens in rides. Maybe Universal should listen to that feedback.

The only place I've heard that is on boards like this, and even then it isn't that widespread, most seem to be excited that there is something innovative, new and very well done in the parks.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that Disney hasn't been building much new ride-wise in the parks and overdoing DVC and upcharge events. But still liking everything in the parks.

But I wouldn't be totally shocked if I end up preferring 7DMT.

Don`t think any of us will be shocked given your posts.

Clear backlash??????Seriously????? Where? Here on a Disney based forum? I must have missed the backlash :confused3

I have to say I`ve been pleasantly surprised how many Disney lovers have loved Gringotts, DA and Universal in general. Most people without bias seem to love it.........apart from the usual suspects of course, who will always find fault with anything Universal does and goes on to compare it to whatever Disney is doing. Can we even compare 7DMT to Gringotts.......doubt it according to what I`ve read. Gringotts and DA seem to surpass most people`s expectations. Again, apart from the usual voices of dissent.

The only place I've heard that is on boards like this, and even then it isn't that widespread, most seem to be excited that there is something innovative, new and very well done in the parks.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that Disney hasn't been building much new ride-wise in the parks and overdoing DVC and upcharge events. But still liking everything in the parks.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We have been going to Disney and Universal for many years and have seen the evolution of both parks. I enjoy both for different reasons. However, I feel that Disney has fallen exceedingly far behind in terms of technology and design...and it's sad. Universal continues to impress while Disney continues to install off-the-shelf rides. Hopefully, Disney sees Universal's progress as a wake up call and will be more creative and use advanced technology like they did in the 90's. Either way, market competition benefits us (consumers).

There has been lots of backlash about the Little Mermaid ride and the poor job that was done with a bunch of dancing things in a warehouse like room.

There has been lots of backlash about the Little Mermaid ride and the poor job that was done with a bunch of dancing things in a warehouse like room.

It's a short video, but listen to Disney imagineers talk up the ride and it's "realism" in her hair. It's from DCA so the video includes "Dole Whip" Ariel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2NBncpdiE

I've said it before, I like The Little Mermaid. But, I first saw it at DCA where it was literally a walk on 5 months after opening; Sept 2011. It's a nice C-ticket maybe D-ticket attraction. The trouble was they were trying to sell it as an E-ticket attraction.

It's a short video, but listen to Disney imagineers talk up the ride and it's "realism" in her hair. It's from DCA so the video includes "Dole Whip" Ariel.

I've said it before, I like The Little Mermaid. But, I first saw it at DCA where it was literally a walk on 5 months after opening; Sept 2011. It's a nice C-ticket maybe D-ticket attraction. The trouble was they were trying to sell it as an E-ticket attraction.

I actually like it too but I don't think there is really anything new and exciting there.

Backlash may be too strong a word, but there are definitely people who have misgivings about the overuse of screens. I've read many posts to that effect, and some of them are in this thread.

And yes, Disney has received criticism for many things. However, AAs are not one of them.

This is :offtopic: but Disney never sold Mermaid as an E Ticket. It was always clear that Radiator Springs Racers would be the E Ticket in the DCA expansion.

By the way, Mermaid recently received widely praised enhancements at DCA. Hopefully, the Magic Kingdom version will get the same treatment.

They made significant improvements to the Under the Sea scene, mostly by darkening it and using black light effects. People say that it makes you feel much more like you're under water (I haven't yet experienced the new version).

*enters room*

I do feel there is too much use of simulators and screens in newer attractions :blush:

*exits room*

We don't mind simulators but I have seen a few others complain. I think that Universal tends to rely on them more because of space issues. I also bet that Disney will start using them more going forward.

As for the Little Mermaid, we strongly disliked that ride. It's good to hear that the DCA version has been improved.

I didn't read 10 pages of comments. I haven't ridden the new ride yet either (Will in November.) But I can tell you that I thought that Forbidden Journey wasn't as good as the queue. Now, the queue is the best queue I have ever seen, but the ride couldn't match it. It was OK, though.

That being said, the best ride is ROTM. It's the best ride, period. I'm a big WDW fan, but ROTM is the best ride I've ever sat down to experience.

I thought it was good not great.
I am a big fan of physical sets and mechanical effects and not at all a fan of theme parks moving to HD video and 3D/4D as their effect.

If you are looking for a thrill ride, there are obviously better ones out there. However, in keeping with the immersive environment that is Diagon Alley, it is a wonderful extension of the experience. If you are looking to put an attraction in Diagon Alley that is seemlessly connected with the rest of the area, you can't exactly build a Hulk-like, or even 7DMT type attraction -- it wouldn't fit the theme. All you are really left with is a dark ride like the ariel ride, or a 3D/4D simulator, and I much prefer the latter than the former.

Could it have been more intense? Sure. But all in all, we loved it and thought it fit perfectly with the character of Diagon Alley.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!