Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Um...most likely not in the usual sense. An Uber/Lyft driver cannot do rides for cash, or off-the-app legally -- and you shouldn't be doing business with anyone who is handling your transaction illegally.

There is a legal way, but it really depends on whether it would work out well for both you and the driver. What exactly are you trying to do?

Resort hop on Oct 31st from 3pm to 5pm. Please note, I'm not trying to do anything illegal or cause any trouble here. I really have no clue how Uber and Lyft services work. I've never used them before. I went to the Main page and read it but I didn't see this as being an option and with the current changes I'm not sure what I can or cannot do let alone ask.

Resort hop on Oct 31st from 3pm to 5pm. Please note, I'm not trying to do anything illegal or cause any trouble here. I really have no clue how Uber and Lyft services work. I've never used them before. I went to the Main page and read it but I didn't see this as being an option and with the current changes I'm not sure what I can or cannot do let alone ask.
Uber and Lyft are booked by individual trip, not for a period of time. You request one when you're ready to travel.

You should have no trouble getting an UberX at those times.

Uber and Lyft are booked by individual trip, not for a period of time. You request one when you're ready to travel.

You should have no trouble getting an UberX at those times.

Perfect! I was worried with it being Halloween that drivers would be hard to come by. Glad this is not the case!

If you WERE going to run into availability issues on Halloween, it would definitely not be in the afternoon. You'll be fine.

Quick question. My daughter uses a wheelchair in the park but we can just transport it if we were to use a rideshare vehicle. The wheels come off and the back folds over the seat so it ends up needing about 24 inches by 24 inches. What size Uber or Lyft would we need to pit the chair in the trunk.

Quick question. My daughter uses a wheelchair in the park but we can just transport it if we were to use a rideshare vehicle. The wheels come off and the back folds over the seat so it ends up needing about 24 inches by 24 inches. What size Uber or Lyft would we need to pit the chair in the trunk.
With 4 or less people, you should be fine in an UberX or regular Lyft. The wheelchair should fit easily in the trunk. 5 or more people, you'd need XL anyway.

Personally, I'd suggest XL to be safe, although that's about the size of my rollator compacted, which fits in the trunk of a Crown Vid definitely, and I think my last Lyft ride was a midsize.

• We are Florida resident AP holders and have several weekend trips planned this year. We prefer to stay on property and ride the bus but we were able to get a rate that is half the price at our favorite Kissimmee resort that is close to AK. Even though we park for free at the parks, we hate to drive. The parking spaces are SO small and they rush you in. You barely have time to get out of the car because the cars beside you are opening up their doors and sometimes the kids don't pay any attention to whether their door will hit your car. I have a fairly new car and I don't want door dings. I have NEVER used Uber....I know, probably the only person that hasn't, but I am considering it for our July Saturday to Hollywood Studios. Can someone who has used them tell me the approximate cost from a Kissimmee hotel to HS? My DH commented that if you are going to pay to Uber, might as well pay to stay at a Disney resort but I can't imagine that it would cost $60 round trip, which is the difference in the nightly cost of the hotel, but maybe so?

• We are Florida resident AP holders and have several weekend trips planned this year. We prefer to stay on property and ride the bus but we were able to get a rate that is half the price at our favorite Kissimmee resort that is close to AK. Even though we park for free at the parks, we hate to drive. The parking spaces are SO small and they rush you in. You barely have time to get out of the car because the cars beside you are opening up their doors and sometimes the kids don't pay any attention to whether their door will hit your car. I have a fairly new car and I don't want door dings. I have NEVER used Uber....I know, probably the only person that hasn't, but I am considering it for our July Saturday to Hollywood Studios. Can someone who has used them tell me the approximate cost from a Kissimmee hotel to HS? My DH commented that if you are going to pay to Uber, might as well pay to stay at a Disney resort but I can't imagine that it would cost $60 round trip, which is the difference in the nightly cost of the hotel, but maybe so?
There's a website that estimates costs for you.
ride guru
You enter your origin and destination

There are two ways to get approximate fares. One is to go to RideGuru.com and enter your pickup point and destination. That will give you a pretty accurate fare estimate across a wide variety of choices: Uber (various vehicle types), Lyft (various vehicle types) and taxi. I have found Ride Guru estimates to be pretty accurate.

The other way is directly from the Uber and Lyft apps themselves (or from their websites). Before you actually order your ride, you will get an actual quote.

Uber uses "upfront pricing," which means the price quoted will be the actual price you pay. If the driver has to take a detour, or gets caught in traffic which adds more time -- no big deal, you pay the quoted price anyway. No "long-hauling" like taxis sometimes do. Lyft uses upfront pricing in some markets, but I'm not sure if they do in the Orlando market. (maybe Joel can tell you).

A couple of suggestions:
  • First of all, put both Uber and Lyft apps on your phone. At very busy times, pricing changes (called Surge by Uber and PrimeTime by Lyft). The companies seldom price the same, so if one is surging and the other isn't, there might be a significant difference in price.
  • Second -- Uber and Lyft both usually have some sort of promotion going on. One common one is $20 in discounts, usable $5 per ride. SO...if you and DH BOTH put BOTH apps on your phones, you have double the promotions with both companies.
  • If just the two of you are Ubering, you will only need an UberX. That's a 4-door vehicle with seating and seatbelts for driver and four passengers, and it's the lowest fare category in the Orlando market. Your fares won't be anywhere near $60 for round-trips to and from a theme park! If you have 5-6 riders, or simply want more space, you will need XL which is an SUV or minivan with seating for six riders. (you may also get an SUV or minivan on X, because most XL drivers also take X rides)
Using Uber/Lyft is very easy and there are lots of experienced users (and a few drivers like myself) who can give you good info. If you have any questions, just fire away!

There are two ways to get approximate fares. One is to go to RideGuru.com and enter your pickup point and destination. That will give you a pretty accurate fare estimate across a wide variety of choices: Uber (various vehicle types), Lyft (various vehicle types) and taxi. I have found Ride Guru estimates to be pretty accurate.

The other way is directly from the Uber and Lyft apps themselves (or from their websites). Before you actually order your ride, you will get an actual quote.

Uber uses "upfront pricing," which means the price quoted will be the actual price you pay. If the driver has to take a detour, or gets caught in traffic which adds more time -- no big deal, you pay the quoted price anyway. No "long-hauling" like taxis sometimes do. Lyft uses upfront pricing in some markets, but I'm not sure if they do in the Orlando market. (maybe Joel can tell you).

A couple of suggestions:
  • First of all, put both Uber and Lyft apps on your phone. At very busy times, pricing changes (called Surge by Uber and PrimeTime by Lyft). The companies seldom price the same, so if one is surging and the other isn't, there might be a significant difference in price.
  • Second -- Uber and Lyft both usually have some sort of promotion going on. One common one is $20 in discounts, usable $5 per ride. SO...if you and DH BOTH put BOTH apps on your phones, you have double the promotions with both companies.
  • If just the two of you are Ubering, you will only need an UberX. That's a 4-door vehicle with seating and seatbelts for driver and four passengers, and it's the lowest fare category in the Orlando market. Your fares won't be anywhere near $60 for round-trips to and from a theme park! If you have 5-6 riders, or simply want more space, you will need XL which is an SUV or minivan with seating for six riders. (you may also get an SUV or minivan on X, because most XL drivers also take X rides)
Using Uber/Lyft is very easy and there are lots of experienced users (and a few drivers like myself) who can give you good info. If you have any questions, just fire away!
Thanks very much, great info here! Sounds like a good option for us.

A couple of suggestions:
Lyft does not do fix price only. We had a trip with an added charge with Lyft, due to the length being different from the initial estimate. My opinion was it was due to the driver taking an unnecessarily long route (for a reason I do not know, there was no wreck or construction). I sent a copy of the route suggested and the route taken to Lyft, along with a protest of the added charge, and they refunded it.

If I take Uber/Lyft to Ft Wilderness for our HDDR ADR, how close to Pioneer Hall is the drop-off point? Will I still need to take an internal bus? I am trying to figure out our plans for that morning, since HDDR isn't until 8:30, we will be back at the hotel (AKV) by 2 for a nap. I'm trying to decide between Uber/Lyft or taking the bus to the MK and then the boat to Ft Wilderness. I'd prefer to save time over money since I assume the fare would be <$20.

If I take Uber/Lyft to Ft Wilderness for our HDDR ADR, how close to Pioneer Hall is the drop-off point? Will I still need to take an internal bus? I am trying to figure out our plans for that morning, since HDDR isn't until 8:30, we will be back at the hotel (AKV) by 2 for a nap. I'm trying to decide between Uber/Lyft or taking the bus to the MK and then the boat to Ft Wilderness. I'd prefer to save time over money since I assume the fare would be <$20.
You will need to take an internal bus. They can't drive any further in than a personal car can. Only the Minnie Van can get all the way to Pioneer Hall.

You will need to take an internal bus. They can't drive any further in than a personal car can. Only the Minnie Van can get all the way to Pioneer Hall.

@LoganBrown1990 I thought this might be useful. I did not know only Minnie Vans can drive all the way to Pioneer Hall which is where the HDDR is located (red marker). The red circle is where you need to go for the Sleepy Hollow event which is a short walk.

upload_2018-7-1_1-24-35.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter