Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I have a party of 6 (no carseats needed) moving from one resort to another. I know we will need an Uber XL, but was wondering if there would be enough room for our luggage? Thanks

I have a party of 6 (no carseats needed) moving from one resort to another. I know we will need an Uber XL, but was wondering if there would be enough room for our luggage? Thanks
It depends on the vehicle you get and how much luggage you have...and also your comfort level and distance of the trip. You may need to order an XL, and if that's not enough room, then order an additional X.

It depends on the vehicle you get and how much luggage you have...and also your comfort level and distance of the trip. You may need to order an XL, and if that's not enough room, then order an additional X.
Agreed. Put as much luggage as you can fit in the XL with the rear seat folded if necessary, and then see how many seats are left for the riders. If you can get everyone in legally without folding the rear seat, you're golden, but you certainly should be able to get 3 seated, which means the rest of the party will fit comfortably in an UberX. UberX's are plentiful at WDW, so one should show up within 5-10 minutes of requesting it.

Lyft does not do fix price only. We had a trip with an added charge with Lyft, due to the length being different from the initial estimate. My opinion was it was due to the driver taking an unnecessarily long route (for a reason I do not know, there was no wreck or construction). I sent a copy of the route suggested and the route taken to Lyft, along with a protest of the added charge, and they refunded it.
So I have heard that at some events, such as concerts, the price for uber can go way up, based on demand. I'm wondering if the rate goes up at park closing? I would hate to use them to get to the park and then be "stuck" and have to pay double or triple to get back to my hotel.

So I have heard that at some events, such as concerts, the price for uber can go way up, based on demand. I'm wondering if the rate goes up at park closing? I would hate to use them to get to the park and then be "stuck" and have to pay double or triple to get back to my hotel.
Yes, both Uber and Lyft use dynamic pricing (as do many other businesses, including Disney) during periods of high demand. And park closing would be one of those peak periods possibly. (Joel and others can give you better local info than I).

One common-sense precaution against increased pricing (called "Surge" by Uber and "Prime Time" by Lyft) is to have both apps on your phones. If you see a too-high fare quote on Uber, check Lyft. If Uber or Lyft are more than $25, try to order a MinnieVan if you are staying onsite and are eligible. You can also often wait out surges -- just chill for a few minutes and the fare will often go down to a more reasonable price.

Yes, both Uber and Lyft use dynamic pricing (as do many other businesses, including Disney) during periods of high demand. And park closing would be one of those peak periods possibly. (Joel and others can give you better local info than I).

One common-sense precaution against increased pricing (called "Surge" by Uber and "Prime Time" by Lyft) is to have both apps on your phones. If you see a too-high fare quote on Uber, check Lyft. If Uber or Lyft are more than $25, try to order a MinnieVan if you are staying onsite and are eligible. You can also often wait out surges -- just chill for a few minutes and the fare will often go down to a more reasonable price.
Thanks for the tips!

Just to clarify, the cost for Uber oro Lyft is per mile or based on the time it takes you get to get from point A to point B?

Just to clarify, the cost for Uber oro Lyft is per mile or based on the time it takes you get to get from point A to point B?
I think it's a mix of both. At least they show you both as part of the fare breakdown
Like my ride to the airport Saturday shows 21.76 miles and 28 min, then the price.

And I have one, where my final ride exceeded the initial estimate (long story)
This one shows the breakdown, cost for miles, cost for time. Also has a prime time cost (both had it, it was park closing) Then I have a refund because he went WAY outside the necessary route. So yeah, I'm sure at least Lyft does a mixture of both to come up with their fare

Found the breakdown on Uber, it's a mixture too, .15/minute and .91/mile, $6.15 minimum (this is at my home location, no idea if this varies by locale)

As a Canadian, I don't have a data plan in the US and can only use the Apps when I'm in wifi. I have used Uber and Lyft here in Toronto so am very familiar with the apps, but how far outside the front lobby doors of a Disney Hotel or outside the entrance gates of the parks will I have wifi to request Uber or Lyft? I want to be able to accurately let driver know where we will be standing and don't want to get charged for missed pickups. Thanks

As a Canadian, I don't have a data plan in the US and can only use the Apps when I'm in wifi. I have used Uber and Lyft here in Toronto so am very familiar with the apps, but how far outside the front lobby doors of a Disney Hotel or outside the entrance gates of the parks will I have wifi to request Uber or Lyft? I want to be able to accurately let driver know where we will be standing and don't want to get charged for missed pickups. Thanks
Whenever I go out of the US, I always get a data plan that works. I would certainly check those options; if you're only going to be in WDW for a week or so, it shouldn't be too expensive.

I would think difficulties getting Uber rides would be the least of your problems without a working cell phone!

WiFi only user here. Definitely no trouble outside hotels. Outside the parks the only ‘iffy’ place we had was at the TTC but outside Epcot, AK, DHS the WiFi was fine

Never had an issue with the driver finding us. On Lyft we just put the name of the hotel, or park, and that worked fine for us.

UBER DRIVER BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS update:

There's a new development in Uber background investigations on its drivers that may be of interest --

Uber has recently started monitoring driver backgrounds on a continuous, REAL-TIME basis. This new process will immediately notify Uber in real time if a driver is accused (not convicted) of any criminal offense. Uber will then be able to review the information and determine whether the driver needs to be deactivated for further investigation (they do that all the time, even for very minor issues).

To give you some perspective, originally both Uber and Lyft did a very thorough background investigation on all drivers BEFORE we were allowed to use the systems. In many cases, that investigation takes a month or more. Just recently, Uber announced that they were now completely re-investigating every driver annually in the interest of rider safety and confidence...and now this new improvement.

Here's a link: https://www.axios.com/uber-begins-m...sly-180d59db-1040-48a7-b9fb-0b6e06ba299f.html

I have never used Uber but will need to in an upcoming trip to go to church on Sunday. How long does it generally take for a car to arrive when you request? This will be on a Sunday morning early.

I have never used Uber but will need to in an upcoming trip to go to church on Sunday. How long does it generally take for a car to arrive when you request? This will be on a Sunday morning early.
If you are at WDW, less than 10 minutes...and probably 5 minutes or less. That's why it's important to be ready to get in the car, and in place at your pickup point before you request a ride. Once you order the ride, don't move or the driver will not be able to find you and you'll be charged a cancellation fee.

You will first need to download the Uber app to your smartphone. Before you do that, check with family and friends to see if someone can give you a referral that carries discounts on your rides. If no luck there, check sites like Groupon.

Once you download the app, you will set up your account and payment method before you will be able to request a ride.

If you are at WDW, less than 10 minutes...and probably 5 minutes or less. That's why it's important to be ready to get in the car, and in place at your pickup point before you request a ride. Once you order the ride, don't move or the driver will not be able to find you and you'll be charged a cancellation fee.

You will first need to download the Uber app to your smartphone. Before you do that, check with family and friends to see if someone can give you a referral that carries discounts on your rides. If no luck there, check sites like Groupon.

Once you download the app, you will set up your account and payment method before you will be able to request a ride.
I've got the app ready to go. Thank you for the info!

Is availability from the parks good early in the day? Say if we have a breakfast reservation in a park and want to catch an uber straight after? I imagine they probably wouldn't be too far away as I assume loads of people take them from the resorts, but they probably wouldn't be queueing to pick people up from the parks that early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter