Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Just so you know -- actual fares for both of these companies may vary significantly from the initial fare estimate. The prices you are quoted are estimates, not guaranteed fares.

I had a ride Saturday where the estimate was $22, and the actual fare charged was $30.

Actually, Uber has rolled out flat rate pricing nationwide. It was completed back in December. So what you see is what you pay. Lyft still estimates since they are still a metered service.

Actually, Uber has rolled out flat rate pricing nationwide. It was completed back in December. So what you see is what you pay. Lyft still estimates since they are still a metered service.
Right, but there has been a recent update since upfront pricing was introduced in December. It just came to light in the last week or so, and has been in the news quite a bit. Now, Uber charges more for some routes than others of the same time/distance based on a number of variables. I'm not talking about surge or anything like surge; I'm talking about normal fares.

The $22 price I mentioned above WAS the supposedly flat-rate upfront price. I personally saw the rider's upfront quote. However, the trip was a Saturday mid-morning trip to the cruise ships at PortMiami -- a popular time and route -- and the actual fare charged to the riders was $30.75. No surge, no boost, no nothing -- they were just charged $8 more than quoted.

I did a fare review and asked Uber to lower the rider's fare. Uber said it was correct as billed and refused to reduce it.

Anyone with experience using Uber with a car seat? Our son will be 3.5, probably around 40 pounds, during our trip. We are staying on property and will rely on Disney transportation for the majority of our trip. 1 or 2 days we will have an early morning reservation. I was thinking about using Uber instead of driving ourselves. We have used Uber before, just not with our son.

Looked through the thread and have found mixed answers to this question. Can you uber or lyft to CR. Shop at gift shop then head to Mk . Or will u only be allowed to be dropped off at ttc. Does anyone have recent experience with this.

Looked through the thread and have found mixed answers to this question. Can you uber or lyft to CR. Shop at gift shop then head to Mk . Or will u only be allowed to be dropped off at ttc. Does anyone have recent experience with this.
We did last week. No problem at all. Driver simply told guard he was dropping off

Anyone with experience using Uber with a car seat? Our son will be 3.5, probably around 40 pounds, during our trip. We are staying on property and will rely on Disney transportation for the majority of our trip. 1 or 2 days we will have an early morning reservation. I was thinking about using Uber instead of driving ourselves. We have used Uber before, just not with our son.

You have to request UberXL and choose the carseat option. It costs almost twice as much as a regular Uber, and you often have to wait a little longer since not all UberXLs have a carseat.

You have to request UberXL and choose the carseat option. It costs almost twice as much as a regular Uber, and you often have to wait a little longer since not all UberXLs have a carseat.
No, there are UberX's with car seats, too. The extra charge for the car seat is $8. But there are limited numbers of both UberX's & UberXL's with car seats, so one or the other, or both, may not be available at all times.

Have the pick ups at MCO started? Can't remember if it was June 1 or July 1
We went to MCO on Monday evening, about 6:30 and as we approached the airport both sides of the road was full of cars stopped on the shoulder. It wasn't raining so they weren't stopped due to visibility. There was no traffic stopped so they hadn't pulled over for that. No accidents. They had just pulled over and stopped. DH wondered if they were Uber drivers waiting for pick ups. I thought surely not, there is no way this can be allowed to continue, it's a hazard. But I can't fathom what else would have at least 20 cars stopped on the shoulders approaching the airport

We went to MCO on Monday evening, about 6:30 and as we approached the airport both sides of the road was full of cars stopped on the shoulder. It wasn't raining so they weren't stopped due to visibility. There was no traffic stopped so they hadn't pulled over for that. No accidents. They had just pulled over and stopped. DH wondered if they were Uber drivers waiting for pick ups. I thought surely not, there is no way this can be allowed to continue, it's a hazard. But I can't fathom what else would have at least 20 cars stopped on the shoulders approaching the airport
It's July 1, so those shouldn't be Ubers.

At most airports, Uber uses either a waiting lot or waiting zone and an electronic queue that only works if you are in the appropriate place. Obviously, they work with local authorities to set up those lots/zones in safe, non-obstructive locations. In Miami, we are out of the way, but only one minute from airport property and usually two minutes or less from the first terminal doors.

I don't know what Lyft does. Here in Miami (one of the busiest airports in the US), Lyft has no queue. They just use proximity, so sometimes their drivers wait in illegal areas. I have not seen Lyft drivers create traffic hazards at MIA, but they create enforcement problems for officers whose primary job is security. However, at the Port of Miami Lyft has a queue...which makes no sense.

Yeah, I have to say, after using Lyft a lot during our trip last week I love the new queue system they are using. We never waited more than 3, 4 min for a car anywhere on property, or at Universal. It was definitely shorter than our trips in the past. I was very pleased.

Yeah, I have to say, after using Lyft a lot during our trip last week I love the new queue system they are using. We never waited more than 3, 4 min for a car anywhere on property, or at Universal. It was definitely shorter than our trips in the past. I was very pleased.
I could get to like this. Especially after seeing the bus lines at all Star music.

In my first ever Lyft. Picked up at All Star Music and on my way in under 5min. Oh yeah.
That is normal pickup time for rideshare. For major cities and vacation destinations like WDW, I would be disappointed with a pickup of more than 5 minutes unless traffic was just gridlocked.

The queues are only at the theme parks & DS, the same as Uber. At least, that's all they've told the drivers about. At those locations, the drivers' app shows that you're within the queue area, and how many drivers are ahead of you.

I think you may be seeing shorter Lyft wait times just because more drivers have been signing on.

In my first ever Lyft. Picked up at All Star Music and on my way in under 5min. Oh yeah.
Don't forget to rate your driver: 5 stars is an A, 4 stars is an F. Seriously, it is.

And with Lyft, you can tip the driver on your credit card through the app if you like.

I've seen those cars, too, the last few times I've been into OIA. I have no idea why they're there.

Officially, the queue area is just outside the northern boundary of the airport, north of the 528 expressway. It's possible that Uber's geofence spills over into that off-ramp area and drivers have discovered it.

The queue area used to be in the cell phone lot, and was moved recently, so that would explain why this just started happening a few weeks ago.

Don't forget to rate your driver: 5 stars is an A, 4 stars is an F. Seriously, it is.

And with Lyft, you can tip the driver on your credit card through the app if you like.

Cash tip, 5 stars, and happy comments added.
Comments comment brings up a question. I rarely bother to leave any. Always stars (5 have been earned in all of our rides, thank goodness) and always tip but since we are typically on the move that's all I do. Are comments something that carry significant impact for drivers? If so, I will be sure to leave a few words in the future. Anything if it helps the drivers out.

And related, how can (or should I) express minor displeasure? A car the smells of cigarettes, or a driver who takes a call on a handheld phone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter