Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Yeah, unfortunately, it appears Uber's carseats won't accomodate us as they only go up to 48 pounds and. 52 inches. My son is only 6.5 but he's nearly 70 pounds and 51-52 inches. He uses a booster at home and we didn't want to drag one along for 1 or 2 car trips, so we figured we'd just buckle him in the best we can manage.

BubbleBum!!! 1 pound and it does what a booster does; pops the kid up so the seatbelt fits and therefore works properly and doesn't act as the cause of injury or death if there's an accident.

Our first wdw trip was when ds was 6.5. He's always been tall, but didn't fit into all rental car seatbelts properly for a fairly long time. So we carried the Bb with us for quite a while. If he fit he didn't use it, if not, it took 30 seconds to install.

They started tests in three markets yesterday, none in Florida. We don't know how quickly they will fully roll it out, or when it will start in any particular market.

In order to use the feature, you will have to rate the driver first...which will be a learning curve because the majority of riders do not rate their drivers.

You will still be able to tip in cash.

FWIW, there is this on Uber's web site tipping page: https://www.uber.com/ride/how-it-works/tips/

Can I tip my driver but not give them a rating?

Before you can provide a tip in the app, you will first need to rate your driver. If you tip directly from the trip receipt, you will not be prompted to rate the trip.

I've spoken to drivers most of them tell me they prefer the system that Lyft has set up for assigning customers and payment, at least in the Disney area. I sort of figured they were pretty similar but I guess not
From the rider perspective, the experience should be equal if you use both services because most drivers drive for both companies simultaneously. In most markets, if you use Lyft only you will wait somewhat longer for pickup.

Every driver's perspective is different, and some drivers are more knowledgeable and nuanced than others. Some drivers prefer Lyft because of the tipping feature. I prefer Uber because I get 10 Uber rides to 1 Lyft ride. I also get more and larger tips from Uber riders than I get from Lyft riders. I also find Uber's driver support -- although humorous at times -- to be much more flexible and helpful than Lyft.

That said, there are a couple of specific situations where I go offline with Uber and ONline with Lyft. So for me at least the answer is "It depends."

Do the Uber cars have a sign on them saying they Uber vehicles like cabs do? I just wonder how we will know which car is the one picking us up? I know it is a silly question but worry about things like that. :crazy2:

Do the Uber cars have a sign on them saying they Uber vehicles like cabs do? I just wonder how we will know which car is the one picking us up? I know it is a silly question but worry about things like that. :crazy2:
The Uber app will tell you the drivers name and the type of car. You can also watch the car on the GPS map as it approaches your location.

It's not a silly question at all. It's actually a very important question for several reasons.

In answer to the "sign," it's technically called "trade dress," and yes, the Uber should usually have trade dress displayed on the front windshield. To make things a little more confusing, Uber has two different sets of trade dress out there -- the original U, and a more modern circular symbol.

When a driver accepts your request, your app will display the driver's name (REAL first name), a description of the car (year and make), and tag number. And at least in some markets (I don't know if it's all markets) a picture of the driver.

Do not ask, "Are you Jim?" Ask, "What is your name?"

It's too easy for anyone to nod yes if you give them the name, which could cause you to get in the wrong car. And be driven to the wrong address -- while someone else gets driven to PortMiami on your credit card!

Likewise, a savvy driver will not ask if you are "Mary" or "MaryJ."

They will ask, "What is your name?" and they may also ask where you are going so they can check that against their destination to be sure they have the right Mary.

Those cross-checks are important protections to ensure that you are getting in the correct Uber, and are especially important in crowded venues.

As miT said above, you can watch the approaching Uber on your app, but be aware that the GPS lags several seconds behind the actual car. So you may be watching your phone and look up to find the Uber driver parked right in front of you...probably laughing.

Last edited:
It's not a silly question at all. It's actually a very important question for several reasons.

In answer to the "sign," it's technically called "trade dress," and yes, the Uber should usually have trade dress displayed on the front windshield. To make things a little more confusing, Uber has two different sets of trade dress out there -- the original U, and a more modern circular symbol.

When a driver accepts your request, your app will display the driver's name (REAL first name), a description of the car (year and make), and tag number. And at least in some markets (I don't know if it's all markets) a picture of the driver.

It's too easy for anyone to nod yes if you give them the name, which could cause you to get in the wrong car. And be driven to the wrong address -- while someone else gets driven to PortMiami on your credit card!

They will ask, "What is your name?" and they may also ask where you are going so they can check that against their destination to be sure they have the right Mary.

Those cross-checks are important protections to ensure that you are getting in the correct Uber, and are especially important in crowded venues.

As miT said above, you can watch the approaching Uber on your app, but be aware that the GPS lags several seconds behind the actual car. So you may be watching your phone and look up to find the Uber driver parked right in front of you...probably laughing.
Yep, and I have to say that as one who has never used the service anywhere but Disney and is from a small town it's really easy to use and it's clear who your driver is. I've never been confused or unclear. The apps (both Uber and Lyft) are very obvious which driver you are to expect. Both driver and car. And I always wait for them to ask me my name.

Thank you so much for all the information! This is very helpful.

"Trade Dress" has been optional in the Orlando market, and I think the majority of drivers do not display it. That's partly because, up until July 1st, it was technically illegal to pick up riders within the city of Orlando (not including WDW) without paying hundreds of dollars for permits and licenses which were impossible to get (it's a long story.) Police would occasionally go on Uber ticket-writing binges at Universal. So why advertise to the cops that you're looking for a ticket?

Also, Uber does not give out trade dress to new drivers, and until a few months ago there was no place in Orlando to pick it up; you had to go to the trouble of downloading and printing it out yourself.

But -- I've been told by riders that Uber hadn't told them my car color. Uber recently asked me for the color of my car. So maybe they'll finally be telling the rider the car color as well as make and license plate.

I think trade dress may also be required for airport pickups, so you may be seeing it in more Orlando drivers' windshields.

Last edited:
I realise it's only 4 days old, but any experience of Uber/Lyft at MCO yet?

UberXL would see a significant saving for my party of 3 (plus luggage) on the previous taxi options

But -- I've been told by riders that Uber hadn't told them my car color. Uber recently asked me for the color of my car. So maybe they'll finally be telling the rider the car color as well as make and license plate.
That's correct, they only give make and model of the vehicle...which is really not terribly helpful.

I would love to see them add a picture of the car. They have it on file and it should be a minor detail to add a small thumbnail of the car.

In Miami, we have the new Uber Beacon, which allows the rider to choose a color on their phone which will be matched by a lighted trade dress on the windshield of their Uber. Denver and Nashville also have the Beacon. The Beacon potentially makes pickups much easier at crowded venues like airports, malls, festivals, and big events.

The difficulty is that drivers have to have 500 rides to qualify, riders have to have the latest update to the rider app, and both riders and drivers have to realize what the Beacon is for and how to use it! That's a very small percentage of both riders and drivers, so it's not widely used...unfortunately. I think I've had a total of about 4 riders actually use it...:confused:.

The Uber app tells you the license plate number of the driver coming to pick you up.

However, when I used it in California this didn't help. Drivers cover up their license plate numbers. Apparently the fine for having the plate covered is cheaper than the fine for speeding if caught by a camera.

Haven't used Lyft yet so don't know if that app gives you the driver's license plate number.

The Uber app tells you the license plate number of the driver coming to pick you up.

However, when I used it in California this didn't help. Drivers cover up their license plate numbers. Apparently the fine for having the plate covered is cheaper than the fine for speeding if caught by a camera.

Haven't used Lyft yet so don't know if that app gives you the driver's license plate number.
Those crafty CA drivers are a hoot...no?

A bigger problem in Florida is that we do not have plates on the front of the vehicle, so you have to check the rear plate. I could be wrong, but I believe the Lyft app gives you a picture of the car -- but it may be a stock picture that is not the same color as your ride. Lyft, like Uber, has actual pictures of our vehicles, but I don't know if they use them for that purpose.

Lyft gives you a picture of the car, color of the car and the tag number. And photo of the driver. I actually like Lyft better because it was easier to know the car in a crowd of cars. Especially when you are like me and think all the small cross over or small 4 door sedan (typical UberX) cars look just alike.

Many drivers recently have also had lighted Lyft logo bars in their windows. And even more have had stickers on their windows but neither are in 100% of the cars.

Many drivers recently have also had lighted Lyft logo bars in their windows. And even more have had stickers on their windows but neither are in 100% of the cars.
That's the Lyft "Amp." I'm not sure if it changes colors like the Beacon or not.

I haven't requested one, nor do I display any Lyft trade dress. Where required (airport, seaport), any trade dress will meet the requirement. There is only so much junk you can set up when you go driving, and I don't need it for my one Lyft ride per week! Lyft is really slow here.

The picture and color of the car is the real key to easier identification -- although about 75% of our Miami drivers are driving Uber-leased Toyota Camrys! :rotfl2:

That's the Lyft "Amp." I'm not sure if it changes colors like the Beacon or not.

I haven't requested one, nor do I display any Lyft trade dress. Where required (airport, seaport), any trade dress will meet the requirement. There is only so much junk you can set up when you go driving, and I don't need it for my one Lyft ride per week! Lyft is really slow here.

The picture and color of the car is the real key to easier identification -- although about 75% of our Miami drivers are driving Uber-leased Toyota Camrys! :rotfl2:
I've even seen quite a few just print out the Lyft or Uber logo (that they've run through a laminator) and stick it in the window when they approach the pick up spot, or the gate at the park or resort.

It's also offered only to drivers who have completed a minimum number of rides. I think it does also sync up with colors in the rider app. I'm only driving a few hours a week, so I haven't qualified for either of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!