Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Used Mears once to go from WDW to our resort in Universal and that was our worst experience. The credit card machine apparently broke when we arrived and we had to run into hotel lobby to get cash for driver.
Seems to be a pattern with Mears. If they tried that on me, I'd say, "Sorry, your loss."

I can't believe there isn't a plan B, like calling the card number into base.

Seems to be a pattern with Mears. If they tried that on me, I'd say, "Sorry, your loss."

I can't believe there isn't a plan B, like calling the card number into base.
I know. I was tired and had a cold that day, so I didn't feel up to arguing with the driver. My husband called Mears to complain since we confirmed with them ahead of time that they take credit cards, but they only offered us something like $6 off the next ride. Uber or Lyft for me from now on.

At the end of an Uber ride, you have four options. The first is the driver rating.

First of all, understand that 5 stars is an "A" and 4 stars or less is an "F."

Four or fewer stars means there was something significantly wrong with the ride -- dirty car, careless or rude driver...something really wrong. If a driver maintains a 4.6 average for any period of time, they get fired. 4.6 = 92%, which is an A in school, but it equals termination for rideshare drivers with either company.

Once you do the rating, you have three more options: "badges," comments, and/or a tip. From a driver's perspective, guess which one we prefer? Right...tips.

Badges and comments are nice to get, but do not factor into the driver's rating or anything else. I do read every comment I get. The more specific the comment, the more helpful and appreciated it is.

Thanks, that's helpful. (i gave him a cash tip.)

I know. I was tired and had a cold that day, so I didn't feel up to arguing with the driver. My husband called Mears to complain since we confirmed with them ahead of time that they take credit cards, but they only offered us something like $6 off the next ride. Uber or Lyft for me from now on.
I'll never use Mears again either. I called last year to inquire about a transfer from Pop to Cabana Bay. It was a Mears taxi. I asked what the charge would be and the person said '$35 or $40, could be more, we will not know till we get there. I'll send a taxi right over'. I said please don't, we are not ready yet. I then went to the Uber app and was able to get a car in two minutes for $14.70, a price I was happy with and could count on. Even after a good tip it was less than half of what Mears wanted.
GO UBER!

Just want to add we used Uber/Lyft multiple times during our trip. it was great and the cars came really quickly. Used Mears once to go from WDW to our resort in Universal and that was our worst experience. The credit card machine apparently broke when we arrived and we had to run into hotel lobby to get cash for driver. Easily our best Uber experience was our driver from Universal to MCO. A super nice guy, great conversation and a great price. I love the ease of using Lyft and Uber and that it's tied to my cc. I left generous tips and rated each driver highly.

This drives me insane and is one of the MANY things that pushed me to first try Uber/Lyft. We always would confirm with our driver that they took credit cards before we got in the car, and then somehow between us getting in and getting our their reader would no longer be working, without them even letting us try, and then if we had cash, they never had change and expected that to be ok.

This drives me insane and is one of the MANY things that pushed me to first try Uber/Lyft. We always would confirm with our driver that they took credit cards before we got in the car, and then somehow between us getting in and getting our their reader would no longer be working, without them even letting us try, and then if we had cash, they never had change and expected that to be ok.
Wow. How unprofessional is that? That's really pathetic.

I really think with this kind of abuse, the consumer should report them to whoever regulates taxis in Orange County. No BBB or calling the company, go to the regulator and hope they're not in the taxi company's pocket.

Wow. How unprofessional is that? That's really pathetic.

I really think with this kind of abuse, the consumer should report them to whoever regulates taxis in Orange County. No BBB or calling the company, go to the regulator and hope they're not in the taxi company's pocket.
That sounds like a really good idea however I would bet the drivers are counting on the fact that these fares are from out of town and would either not have any idea who to report them to or want to waste vacation time doing so. They probably also feel that by the time the persons get home it will be all but forgotten. I'm pretty sure if they felt there would be a consequence they would not be doing it in the first place.
I know I would be one to just shake my head and say lesson learned and move on.

I'll never use Mears again either. I called last year to inquire about a transfer from Pop to Cabana Bay. It was a Mears taxi. I asked what the charge would be and the person said '$35 or $40, could be more, we will not know till we get there.

I'll never use Mears again either. I called last year to inquire about a transfer from Pop to Cabana Bay. It was a Mears taxi. I asked what the charge would be and the person said '$35 or $40, could be more, we will not know till we get there.

Well, taxis are metered. The fare includes both distance and wait time (i.e. long traffic lights, heavy traffic.) They can't give you an exact price until you reach your destination. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, just letting you know why he could only give you an estimate.

Cab companies don't set the rates. In Orlando, the City Council does http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/taxi-cab-rates-increase-orlando

Well, taxis are metered. The fare includes both distance and wait time (i.e. long traffic lights, heavy traffic.) They can't give you an exact price until you reach your destination. I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, just letting you know why he could only give you an estimate.

Cab companies don't set the rates. In Orlando, the City Council does http://www.wdwforgrownups.com/articles/taxi-cab-rates-increase-orlando
Yes, I do realize that but I'd still rather have at least an idea of what the high end would be. Saying we won't know till we get you there leaves one open to a huge bill at the end of the ride so I will continue to drive with Uber until I can get a clear answer to costs. A taxi could drive you around a city you don't know just to make a few extra dollars. I don't see Uber doing that as they have no incentive to.
Just my thoughts and certainly not meant to offend anyone.

Yes, I do realize that but I'd still rather have at least an idea of what the high end would be. Saying we won't know till we get you there leaves one open to a huge bill at the end of the ride so I will continue to drive with Uber until I can get a clear answer to costs. A taxi could drive you around a city you don't know just to make a few extra dollars. I don't see Uber doing that as they have no incentive to.
Just my thoughts and certainly not meant to offend anyone.
You can protect yourself from a driver taking a crazy route by installing Google Maps or Waze on your phone and following along as you go. Be aware, however, that both navigation systems will sometimes take you on a bit longer route if there is a significant time savings. When I first started driving for Uber/Lyft, I would sometimes think about taking shorter routes than the nav suggested, but I quickly learned to trust them.

With an Uber upfront pricing fare, it doesn't make any difference what route the driver takes -- you pay the same.

For those that are not in the US, set up your account before you leave. Both Lyft and Uber require codes to be entered before you can use their service. My cell would not receive the code as it only works in Canada. I eventually got Uber working by sending off an e-mail or two but it took a few days.

We are headed to Disney in a few weeks and I am leaning towards taking an uber mainly at night from the parks back to our resort(pop century). I have never used uber before and just downloaded the app. It looks like I am going to need an uberx with car seat(2 adults 1 child). I will have my stroller in the parks plus a few souvenirs we pick up along the way. Will they have room for my stroller and souvenirs? I am also trying to find exactly where dropoff and pickup is available at the parks(mainly magic kingdom). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. It has been over 10 years since I have been to Disney and I do remember the lines for the buses were very long at park closing. This may be a stupid question but how do I know which uber is the one I reserved?(if there are multiple people waiting)

We are headed to Disney in a few weeks and I am leaning towards taking an uber mainly at night from the parks back to our resort(pop century). I have never used uber before and just downloaded the app. It looks like I am going to need an uberx with car seat(2 adults 1 child). I will have my stroller in the parks plus a few souvenirs we pick up along the way. Will they have room for my stroller and souvenirs? I am also trying to find exactly where dropoff and pickup is available at the parks(mainly magic kingdom). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. It has been over 10 years since I have been to Disney and I do remember the lines for the buses were very long at park closing.
Yes, they'll have room for a stroller, think cross over SUV size vehicles like 99% of the world drives (it seems) these days.
MK pick up/drop off is at TTC. If you don't want to use the ferry or express monorail from TTC you can have them pick you up or drop you at CR and you can walk
For drop off you could also try at GF and use the monorail (it's the next stop)

We are headed to Disney in a few weeks and I am leaning towards taking an uber mainly at night from the parks back to our resort(pop century). I have never used uber before and just downloaded the app. It looks like I am going to need an uberx with car seat(2 adults 1 child). I will have my stroller in the parks plus a few souvenirs we pick up along the way. Will they have room for my stroller and souvenirs? I am also trying to find exactly where dropoff and pickup is available at the parks(mainly magic kingdom). Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. It has been over 10 years since I have been to Disney and I do remember the lines for the buses were very long at park closing. This may be a stupid question but how do I know which uber is the one I reserved?(if there are multiple people waiting)
I don't know that you'll need an XL. An UberX with car seat will work if your stroller folds up enough to fit in a small car trunk or small hatchback.

The Uber app will tell you the vehicle type, license plate, and driver's name. Ask the driver their name when you open the door. The driver will probably ask your name as well.

At parks other than the MK, the drop-off point is near the taxi stand. Look for signs for Guest Drop Off. At DS, the West Side drop-off is near the taxi stand; the Marketplace drop-off is behind the Christmas shop.

However, if I recall correctly, Florida cars are not required to have license plates on the front, which makes it a little bit more difficult to know you are looking at the right vehicle for Uber purposes. The driver usually rolls down the window as you approach and calls out your first name.

However, if I recall correctly, Florida cars are not required to have license plates on the front, which makes it a little bit more difficult to know you are looking at the right vehicle for Uber purposes. The driver usually rolls down the window as you approach and calls out your first name.
Plus, you usually have their photo and name so you can check both too.

Thinking about using Uber (first time ever) on my next trip. I'm from a medium size town so I have very little experience even with taxis, but everybody always seems to ride in the back (at least on TV). It would be me, DW, and DS. Assuming driver won't freak out if I open the front passenger door and hop in, right?

Thinking about using Uber (first time ever) on my next trip. I'm from a medium size town so I have very little experience even with taxis, but everybody always seems to ride in the back (at least on TV). It would be me, DW, and DS. Assuming driver won't freak out if I open the front passenger door and hop in, right?

Nope, that's fine. Or you can all smush in the back.

A fair number of Uber & Lyft single riders prefer to ride in front, so the driver should be used to it. The driver might have some stuff on the front seat, but they should be pretty quick to move it when you open the front door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts