Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Does anyone have any advice for me? I have limited experience with Lyft, but would really like to use it (or Uber) to get to MCO. I'd been considering it before, but now with the change to pick up times with DME, it seems a necessity. My 2 yo DS and I have a flight leaving at 8 am. I'd hoped to schedule an Uber in advance, but it doesn't give me the option to reserve one with a carseat. I'm nervous about leaving it to chance to be able to get a Lyft/Uber at 5:45 or 6:00 am with a carseat....does anyone have any experience with an early morning pick up? Kind of freaking out about what to do and would really, really appreciate any advice. TIA!!

Joel or Rob can give you better local info on availability, but Lyft does NOT have carseat-carrying vehicles. Uber has vehicles with ONE carseat in both the X and XL categories, so it would have to be Uber.

I just tried the app, and it looks like the pre-scheduling option is not available for vehicles with car seats.

Sorry, I don't have experience with early morning availability. If you're normally up that early, you could try searching for one on a few days as a dry run. Touch the destination field, then touch the pick-up field twice, and you'll be able to enter a new pickup location. Then enter the destination, and you'll be able to see current availability. Just be sure to hit the back key, not the confirm button.

im sure its been asked before but i dont have time to read through, what is a better service ? Uber or lyft? I use a wheelchair so sometimes the bus is too crowded. I dont know which service gets better reviews at Disney, any input would be appreciated thanks

im sure its been asked before but i dont have time to read through, what is a better service ? Uber or lyft? I use a wheelchair so sometimes the bus is too crowded. I dont know which service gets better reviews at Disney, any input would be appreciated thanks
In many markets, Uber is quite a bit stronger than Lyft -- which means quicker pickup and better availability. However, I don't think that is true at WDW. I've read posts from riders using both services with good results.

Also, most drivers drive for both companies simultaneously. Except for something specialized like child seats (only Uber has some vehicles so equipped), there shouldn't be much difference in the quality of drivers or vehicles. My personal recommendation at WDW would be to have both apps on your phone and compare pricing and availability.

I'm still an uber newbie, but when requesting a drop off at MCO, should we specify terminal/airline at any point or is that discussed once the driver arrives? And what is the average travel time from the Downtown Disney area to MCO? I've only ever done DME before and I will be staying off property the beginning of December. With Mears transportation going to 4-4.5 hours prior now as well, uber looks better and better.

It's about 30 min drive to MCO from Disney (and vice/versa), without rush hour. We find rush hour to add about 15 min (we've flown out at rush hour many times)
We tell the driver our airline when we are in the car and I watch while we go to be double sure they go to the correct side.

Joel or Rob can give you better local info on availability, but Lyft does NOT have carseat-carrying vehicles. Uber has vehicles with ONE carseat in both the X and XL categories, so it would have to be Uber.
My mistake on Lyft - thanks for the correction!

I just tried the app, and it looks like the pre-scheduling option is not available for vehicles with car seats.

Sorry, I don't have experience with early morning availability. If you're normally up that early, you could try searching for one on a few days as a dry run. Touch the destination field, then touch the pick-up field twice, and you'll be able to enter a new pickup location. Then enter the destination, and you'll be able to see current availability. Just be sure to hit the back key, not the confirm button.
Thanks so much for the advice! That was my plan....assuming I remember to do it first thing in the morning :) Thanks again!

I'm still an uber newbie, but when requesting a drop off at MCO, should we specify terminal/airline at any point or is that discussed once the driver arrives? And what is the average travel time from the Downtown Disney area to MCO? I've only ever done DME before and I will be staying off property the beginning of December. With Mears transportation going to 4-4.5 hours prior now as well, uber looks better and better.
Angi is correct -- tell the driver which airline once you're in the car. Typically, the driver app just shows the destination address and name, and for airports usually does not distinguish between airlines. Where there are different terminals, the proper terminal should be shown if you enter it. But just tell the driver and they will take you to the right place.

Angi's idea of watching where you are going is not a bad idea.

I don't know if it happens at MCO, but down here in South Florida occasionally the GPS will have some weird mood swing and will try to direct us to the CARGO area :eek: of the airport. I'm assuming that's because the cargo areas are usually in the geographic center of the airport -- not sure. But it does that to us occasionally at both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Seasoned drivers will notice and not get mis-directed, but everybody's a newbie at some point so it's a good idea to pay attention to where you're going.

don't expect the driver to make stops unless you discuss that with them up front
Jim thank you your time and advice on this thread. I've used Uber numerous times and I've always enjoyed my rides and conversations with the drivers.

We arrive late, probably 12:15 by the time we get our luggage. We would like to stop off at a grocery store and would feel better if the driver could wait. I'm willing to tip well but I'm not sure what is a fair amount to make it worth their while. I understand a fair to the Swan might run around $35+/- so I if I offered $20 is that enough? When you say discuss up front, when they arrive or is that something to talk via the phone about first? I respect their time and if they don't want the run, but I'm trying to decide if I should just go with a Town Car. Thanks for any input and advice.

Complete newbie to Uber/Lyft, so please forgive ignorance and paranoia! Planning to use these services a couple of times on trip starting Friday for other things, but have just now realized that bus service does not run directly from Disney Springs to MK. We have MVMCP tickets, and ADRs for lunch prior at Asia, so now I'm worried about a tight timetable to get to the party at 4. I would like to see the GF gingerbread, so I thought we might take an Uber there and then the monorail to the park, but can the driver get through without us having an ADR or being resort guests? We are staying at AKL. Advice? Thanks in advance to anyone who can tame my anxiety monster over these silly details!

Jim thank you your time and advice on this thread. I've used Uber numerous times and I've always enjoyed my rides and conversations with the drivers.

We arrive late, probably 12:15 by the time we get our luggage. We would like to stop off at a grocery store and would feel better if the driver could wait. I'm willing to tip well but I'm not sure what is a fair amount to make it worth their while. I understand a fair to the Swan might run around $35+/- so I if I offered $20 is that enough? When you say discuss up front, when they arrive or is that something to talk via the phone about first? I respect their time and if they don't want the run, but I'm trying to decide if I should just go with a Town Car. Thanks for any input and advice.
When I check Ride Guru, I get an MCO-Swan fare of about $24 for UberX or Lyft and about $40 for UberXL or Lyft Plus.

I can understand you wanting the driver to wait, rather than dragging your luggage through the grocery store. Yes, I think $20 should be reasonable although Joel or Rob would know better in their market. The important thing is to have a clear understanding of duration of the stop and stick to it.

Another option would be to use one of the grocery shopping services like WeGoShop or Garden Grocers. WeGoShop will go to any store you want and buy any brand/size you want. They add a small service fee to your actual grocery bill. I believe Garden Grocer has an online shopping list you select from, and those prices have the service charge built in. I would check with the Swan to see if they accept those deliveries if you are not present, and then price-check. You may find that to be a less expensive and more reliable option. I personally have not used either service, but I've seen good reports about both here on the DIS.

Complete newbie to Uber/Lyft, so please forgive ignorance and paranoia! Planning to use these services a couple of times on trip starting Friday for other things, but have just now realized that bus service does not run directly from Disney Springs to MK. We have MVMCP tickets, and ADRs for lunch prior at Asia, so now I'm worried about a tight timetable to get to the party at 4. I would like to see the GF gingerbread, so I thought we might take an Uber there and then the monorail to the park, but can the driver get through without us having an ADR or being resort guests? We are staying at AKL. Advice? Thanks in advance to anyone who can tame my anxiety monster over these silly details!
Yes, Uber/Lyft drivers can take you to GF without any issue. I would say if you are running a little late, you might be better off taking Uber to the Contemporary and walking to MK, and then do GF another time.

Your anxiety is interesting. I've never seen anyone worry over small planning details here on the DIS! :rotfl2:

Lyft does have the option to add a stop to your trip, so you can put in Swan as the destination and then enter the Grocery store as a stop. You can alter the order of the stops however you want once you set each one, then request the car.
https://blog.lyft.com/posts/add-a-stop
I've never personally done it so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it all once you place the request but I'd think, if the option to do it is there, it must be something drivers are open to accepting and doing.

Lyft does have the option to add a stop to your trip, so you can put in Swan as the destination and then enter the Grocery store as a stop. You can alter the order of the stops however you want once you set each one, then request the car.
https://blog.lyft.com/posts/add-a-stop
I've never personally done it so I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it all once you place the request but I'd think, if the option to do it is there, it must be something drivers are open to accepting and doing.

Interesting that they frame it this way! I always thought of the stop as a way to pick up/drop off a friend or another passenger en route to my final destination – not leave the car completely and go run an errand. I guess if they're explaining it like that, it's OK, but I wouldn't make a driver wait for me while I went grocery shopping.

You will be fine.

Interesting that they frame it this way! I always thought of the stop as a way to pick up/drop off a friend or another passenger en route to my final destination – not leave the car completely and go run an errand. I guess if they're explaining it like that, it's OK, but I wouldn't make a driver wait for me while I went grocery shopping.
I don't disagree at all. I wouldn't myself but it does appear they have set it up as an option so I wanted to toss it out there for PP. And if I did, I'd plan to tip

We used Lyft during our trip in early November. We were there during Jersey week, Veterans day and the last weekend of F&W so it was BUSY. We called a couple times because the buses were slow and we had to get to a reservation. Typically they came within 5 minutes. the first ride we called for was to go to a grocery store from OKW. The car was very nice and clean. The driver also was nice and talkative. However he got lost! Now i know every driver does not know exactly where everything is i get that but this guy was a local (or so he said). He apologized again and again and i wasn't really upset but just surprised. The next few drivers we had were nice but their cars were dirty. Seats were stained and we were really squished in smaller 4 door cars. We had 4 adults. The last ride we took was to the GF wedding pavilion. As we approached the GF I saw the entrance to the Wedding pavilion and the driver went right by. I asked him to turn around that's where we needed to go but he didn't seem to understand me. He pulled in to the GF entrance and stopped...there was a long line of cars waiting to get in. Needless to say when we got up to the guard house they told us we were in the wrong entrance and the driver just kind of stared at him. They told us just to drive through the parking lot and drop us off there and we could just walk over. That worked but i had to direct him through the parking lot he did not understand what the guards told him. We literally got there with 5 minutes to spare! All in all it wasn't a bad experience but i was just kind of grossed out by the dirty cars. I had asked one of the drivers if she was busy and she said that they were actually slow lately. Uber/Lyft is a popular job i guess!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts