Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

thanks to the posters that walked me through the safety aspect of Uber - we returned from our trip last night and used Uber a number of times to and from the WWoS complex with zero issues!! Daughter also used Uber from her hotel to ours on the last day - zero issues. Will definitely use them again when we can't/don't want to use Disney transportation. Thanks again!!

Hello again uber/ lyft topic,

One more question before trying out Uber for the first time tomorrow.
If there are multiple destination listings for Hollywood Studios, I think there are four listed, does it matter which I select?
One is labeled main entrance, is this the one I should select?
The exact destination address doesn't really matter. You can, and should, tell the driver exactly where you want to be dropped off. As long as there is not a big difference (you enter DHS, and you're really going to MK), it's not big deal.

If you make a BIG mistake, the driver will ask you to change the destination on your rider app, which you should do, to ensure that there is no mistake.

What DOES matter is your PICKUP location.

Hello again uber/ lyft topic,

One more question before trying out Uber for the first time tomorrow.
If there are multiple destination listings for Hollywood Studios, I think there are four listed, does it matter which I select?
One is labeled main entrance, is this the one I should select?

I guess I have a second question.
Is 7am usually enough time to reach Hollywood Studios from Coronado for a 8:10am ADR?

Thanks for any replies for our questions.
There wouldn't be multiple destinations locations for Hollywood Studios.
Or shouldn't be.
I always just type the specific park (or resort). So in your case you would enter Disney's Hollywood Studios and when it auto fills in the park, select it as the destination. The app will do the rest.
Pick up does get more complicated, but in general I've found the apps again will direct you to the correct choice if you use the specific park as your choice. Only Epcot has 2 gates and you can't be picked up at the IG.

And yes, a 7 am pick up is more than enough time to each HS by 8:10.

After reading that Lyft doesn't have car seats and Uber is slowly getting rid of their car seat availability, we bought a Bubblebum. Would either of those companies and drivers have an issue if we wanted to use it with their service?

Is this true? No car seats using Uber Lyft? I would think that this would be a poor decision considering the opportunity to provide service to so many families at WDW.

Is this true? No car seats using Uber Lyft? I would think that this would be a poor decision considering the opportunity to provide service to so many families at WDW.
Uber is a different service than Lyft.
Two different, completely separate, competing companies.
Lyft does not have a car seat service
Uber does

Last edited:
No, as Angi said, it is NOT true.

Uber has some vehicles, both X (up to 4 passengers, including children) and XL (up to 6 passengers, including children) which have one car seat. All Disney MinnieVans have 2 car seats. Lyft does not offer car seats.

Obviously, child safety is primarily a parental responsibility, but Florida law requires child seats for all children 5 years old and younger. Because of the legal and safety issues involved, rideshare drivers can, and should, refuse passengers under 6 who do not have the required seats or boosters. I believe both buses and taxis are exempted from Florida car seat laws.

It is also a requirement of Florida law that all minors (under 18) wear seat belts at all times, regardless of where they are seated in the vehicle. For adults, seat belts are required for all drivers and front-seat passengers.

Both companies operate in many, many, many, many, many more locations than just Orlando. It makes complete sense to operate the same in all locations.

Both companies operate in many, many, many, many, many more locations than just Orlando. It makes complete sense to operate the same in all locations.

Which probably was at least one factor leading to creation of the Minnie Vans system - the need for car seats that was not filled by Uber/Lyft/taxis.

Which probably was at least one factor leading to creation of the Minnie Vans system - the need for car seats that was not filled by Uber/Lyft/taxis.
Sure...and we have to realize that there is a huge difference between providing something in a very small area, for a small number of people, and providing a regional service for all sorts of people 24/7/365.

It's one thing to provide something for 30-40 vehicles, transporting vacationers from one part of your property to another spot onsite, operating in an extremely small geographic area.

Providing the same thing for a fleet of thousands of vehicles, with many different types of customers, over a very wide geographic area is not a matter of scale -- it's a completely different animal.

Uber is a different service than Lyft.
Two different, completely separate, competing companies.
Lyft does not have a car seat service
Uber does
Yes, I know they are 2 separate companies. Blame goes to the typo caused by the pesky squirrels out in my yard. Thanks for the info, though.

Thanks for the responses on Uber & Lyft. With 2 Grands in tow (by 4 adults) during our stay at WDW, it's conceivable a need for something other than the bus system for our group could arise. So, now, good WDW vets, tell me all about the Minnie Van system. .. pros and cons appreciated.

Thanks for the responses on Uber & Lyft. With 2 Grands in tow (by 4 adults) during our stay at WDW, it's conceivable a need for something other than the bus system for our group could arise. So, now, good WDW vets, tell me all about the Minnie Van system. .. pros and cons appreciated.
Let's see what I can remember off the top of my head
$20 flat rate for each ride, no tip (position is non-tipped. so don't bother even including it in tip on Lyft app, it won't go to CM)
Only added to Lyft app (yes, must use Lyft app) for those staying in Deluxe or Deluxe Villa resorts. Others can request to have it added but success is mixed
Minnie Vans have 2 same type car seats in every vehicle. Drivers are trained to install
Minnie Vans are all same vehicles
Minnie Van drivers are Disney empolyees
Minnie Vans can go places no other car can go (bus stop at MK, for instance)
Minnie Vans can only go on Disney property (so no trips to airport, for instance)
There are availability issues
Minnie Vans are not 24 hours, I think something like 6:30A-12:30A, but I may be wrong on those hours

ETA - There are 2 handicapped accessible vehicles but I do not know much about them. Other than you call a specific number to request those, you don't use the regular app request for them

Sure...and we have to realize that there is a huge difference between providing something in a very small area, for a small number of people, and providing a regional service for all sorts of people 24/7/365.

It's one thing to provide something for 30-40 vehicles, transporting vacationers from one part of your property to another spot onsite, operating in an extremely small geographic area.

Providing the same thing for a fleet of thousands of vehicles, with many different types of customers, over a very wide geographic area is not a matter of scale -- it's a completely different animal.

Exactly. Disney recognized an unmet need and is capitalizing on it.

The exact destination address doesn't really matter. You can, and should, tell the driver exactly where you want to be dropped off. As long as there is not a big difference (you enter DHS, and you're really going to MK), it's not big deal.

If you make a BIG mistake, the driver will ask you to change the destination on your rider app, which you should do, to ensure that there is no mistake.

What DOES matter is your PICKUP location.

During last stay at POR we tried to ask driver to drop us off at our bldg in AB but he didn't speak English so we gave up trying to explain and just got out. This actually happened a few times with different drivers

During last stay at POR we tried to ask driver to drop us off at our bldg in AB but he didn't speak English so we gave up trying to explain and just got out. This actually happened a few times with different drivers
Yes, that can be a problem sometimes with either Uber/Lyft or taxis. And right now, we're getting a tremendous influx of people from Venezuela (because of the government there) and Puerto Rico (because of Hurricane Maria).

To get from A to B, the lack of English is not as big an obstacle as you'd think if the driver can follow the GPS. And if the GPS is correct. But it can be a problem if there are any discrepancies in pickup or dropoff locations. And don't expect a tour guide narrative!

I'm flying into Orlando Sanford and arriving at 10pm on a Saturday.
Can I assume that I can easily get an Uber or Lyft to my Disney Resort or should I be concerned??

I'm flying into Orlando Sanford and arriving at 10pm on a Saturday.
Can I assume that I can easily get an Uber or Lyft to my Disney Resort or should I be concerned??

I guess I am not sure if drivers in the Sanford area would want to make a trip that far. That's about 50 miles.

50 miles is not a long trip for Uber/Lyft; it's a nice trip...unless you are just about ready to quit for the evening. Also, at least with Uber, there is a "Long Ride" notification that is part of the ride request. It doesn't tell the driver your destination, or even direction, but it will tell them "Long Ride, 45+ minutes." So they will know, and they may call you and ask where or which direction you're headed.

Lyft also supposedly does the same thing, although I've personally never had one of their long ride notifications. Long rides, yes; notifications, no.

10 PM is also not late at night, especially on a Saturday. You might be taking that driver right where they want to be at 11 PM.

I know there are posters who have used Uber/Lyft from Sanford. Hopefully one of them, or one of the Orlando area drivers, can respond.

The other thing you can do is this Saturday about 10 PM, open up your Uber app, place your pin on the Sanford airport and see if you see any little ants crawling around. If you do, you won't have any trouble getting a ride. Just be sure your app is set on the correct type of ride (X, XL, etc) because it will only show cars in that class of service.

50 miles is not a long trip for Uber/Lyft; it's a nice trip...unless you are just about ready to quit for the evening. Also, at least with Uber, there is a "Long Ride" notification that is part of the ride request. It doesn't tell the driver your destination, or even direction, but it will tell them "Long Ride, 45+ minutes." So they will know, and they may call you and ask where or which direction you're headed.

Lyft also supposedly does the same thing, although I've personally never had one of their long ride notifications. Long rides, yes; notifications, no.

10 PM is also not late at night, especially on a Saturday. You might be taking that driver right where they want to be at 11 PM.

I know there are posters who have used Uber/Lyft from Sanford. Hopefully one of them, or one of the Orlando area drivers, can respond.

The other thing you can do is this Saturday about 10 PM, open up your Uber app, place your pin on the Sanford airport and see if you see any little ants crawling around. If you do, you won't have any trouble getting a ride. Just be sure your app is set on the correct type of ride (X, XL, etc) because it will only show cars in that class of service.

Great advice! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter