Every Mile is a Miracle

I am pretty sure I would have unofficially PR'd my 10k if I would have ran an extra .1 miles today. And that makes me really happy because it was a Tempo run for 5 miles and .5 mi each WU & CD and my legs felt like they had more in them.

:D:rolleyes1

Somebody is getting better...

Last hard workout right?

DBP Week 11 Report 2/12 - 2/18
Planned:
Monday 2/12 - Rest day!
Tuesday 2/13 - 5 miles @ EA + Strides
Wednesday 2/14 - Gym?
Thursday 2/15 - .50 mi @ WU / 5 mi @ Tempo / .50 mi @ CD
Friday 2/16 - Swim
Saturday 2/17 - 5 miles @ EA + Strides
Sunday 2/18 - 5 miles @ EB

Monday - Rest dayyyy. It was much needed after that 12 mile long run the day before.

Tuesday - I set my alarm for my usual morning run time, but I knew that my body still needed sleep from the busy weekend we had traveling. So I slept in and planned to get my run in after work. Of course, nothing ever goes as planned for me, so I didn't get my full scheduled run in and I ended up splitting it between two days.
Plan: 5 miles @ EA + Strides
Actual: 2.92 miles @ 12:10

Wednesday - I woke up early and squeezed in the two miles + Strides I didn't do yesterday. And I did them on a hill repeat to prepare for my upcoming race.
Plan: 2 miles @ EA + Strides
Actual: 2.16 @ 11:33

Thursday - This was my last "hard run" of my training plan!!!! And it felt amazing! My legs felt powerful and strong. It's such a good feeling. I even had a great negative split progression that wasn't too far off from my Tempo pace (10:01 +/- 10 seconds).
Plan: .50 mi @ WU / 5 mi @ Tempo / .50 mi @ CD
Actual: .50 mi @ 12:08 / 5 mi @ 9:46 / .50 @ 12:32
Splits: 10:50, 9:51, 9:46, 9:45, 9:44, 11:12

Friday - Rest Day!

Saturday - I was really looking forward to a weekend of not doing anything and also eating pizza. So that's how my Saturday started. Then by 10pm, I still hadn't gotten my run in, sooooooo I ran at 10pm. Better late than never.
Plan: 5 miles @ EA (12:23) + Strides
Actual: 4.98 @ 12:11
Splits: 12:03, 12:04, 12:42, 12:32, 11:35 (Strides)

Sunday - I put my run off again, but because I knew it was going to be gorgeous outside and wanted to run in the sun. So I did. And it was hot. But I think I started my summer tan. Haha.
Plan: 5 miles @ EB (11:34)
Actual: 5.02 @ 11:12
Splits: 11:04, 11:10, 11:21, 11:13, 11:10

** 5 days until the Red Rock Canyon Half Marathon **

Am I ready? Nope.
Am I gonna give it all I got? Yup.

Upcoming Training (Taper Week!)
Monday - Rest Day
Tuesday - 4 mi @ EA + Strides
Wednesday - Gym/bike?
Thursday - 3 mi @ EB + Strides
Friday - Swim?
Saturday - Red Rock Canyon Half Marathon
Sunday - 3 mi @ EA

Great training week! You'll do great on your race. Can't wait to hear about it.

RACE WEEK!!! :car:

Great training week! You'll do great on your race. Can't wait to hear about it.

Solid training week! So excited to read about your race!

Happy race week!!!

I seriously want to hug all of you! Thank you!
:grouphug:

I am feeling a little more confident after a much needed pep-talk from Coach. I am focusing my energy to a more positive note. I looked up some mountain quotes to help me through this. And all I can do is trust my training because I have worked hard for this!

Today's quote:
"You can been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved."

Last edited:
Yay Race Week!!!!!

Am I ready? Nope.
Am I gonna give it all I got? Yup.

I think that #2 matters more than #1. Whether or not you're ready (or you think you're ready), all that matters is that you go out there and give the race all you've got. Giving it your best is what makes the amazing results happen! (well, that and the training)

You got this!

Yay Race Week!!!!!

I think that #2 matters more than #1. Whether or not you're ready (or you think you're ready), all that matters is that you go out there and give the race all you've got. Giving it your best is what makes the amazing results happen! (well, that and the training)

You got this!
Thanks Sarah!

It finally happened. I skipped a workout. I have my excuses lined up. It really comes down to one thing.
WHY. IS. IT. FREEZING. COLD. IN. ARIZONA. IN. FEBRUARY.
Like WHYYYYY. Tuesday morning it was 32* when I was supposed to run, so I postponed it to after work and it was like 50* with 20mph winds.
So there you have it. My first skipped workout during my 12 week Dopey Badger Plan. Ah-well. At least it was during my taper week.
I got my last run in this afternoon, during my lunch break, and it was beautiful out and I felt good and I only have....

** TWO DAYS UNTIL THE RED ROCK CANYON HALF MARATHON **

Today's Quote:
"The best view comes after the hardest climb."

It finally happened. I skipped a workout. I have my excuses lined up. It really comes down to one thing.
WHY. IS. IT. FREEZING. COLD. IN. ARIZONA. IN. FEBRUARY.
Like WHYYYYY. Tuesday morning it was 32* when I was supposed to run, so I postponed it to after work and it was like 50* with 20mph winds.
So there you have it. My first skipped workout during my 12 week Dopey Badger Plan. Ah-well. At least it was during my taper week.
I got my last run in this afternoon, during my lunch break, and it was beautiful out and I felt good and I only have....

** TWO DAYS UNTIL THE RED ROCK CANYON HALF MARATHON **

Today's Quote:
"The best view comes after the hardest climb."

:car::car::car:

Race Day Update:
You know, the mountain I have to climb just wasn't a big enough challenge for me, or so the universe thought. It is currently snowing in Las Vegas, NV and the temps during my race are scheduled to be below freezing.

Drop off - 6am: 25* / feels like 18*
Start - 7am: 27* / feels like 21*
During - 8am: 33* / feels like 30*
During - 9am: 37* / feels like 33*

If this isn't a perfect metaphor for how my life is going in 2018, I don't know what it. But what I do know is that a) I'm going to go buy some throw away clothes and b) I am not afraid of anything the universe wants to throw my way. If I am meant to freeze to death and die on this mountain, so be it. Haha. But in all seriousness, I am really over this winter. And I know that most of you live in places where you are getting FEET of snow and it's like -20 outside. But my desert body can't handle this. I can't wait for those 120* summer days.

** ONE DAY UNTIL MY RACE **

Today's quote:
"Mountains know the secrets we need to learn. That it might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up." - Tyler Knott Gregson

Race Day Update:
You know, the mountain I have to climb just wasn't a big enough challenge for me, or so the universe thought. It is currently snowing in Las Vegas, NV and the temps during my race are scheduled to be below freezing.

Drop off - 6am: 25* / feels like 18*
Start - 7am: 27* / feels like 21*
During - 8am: 33* / feels like 30*
During - 9am: 37* / feels like 33*

If this isn't a perfect metaphor for how my life is going in 2018, I don't know what it. But what I do know is that a) I'm going to go buy some throw away clothes and b) I am not afraid of anything the universe wants to throw my way. If I am meant to freeze to death and die on this mountain, so be it. Haha. But in all seriousness, I am really over this winter. And I know that most of you live in places where you are getting FEET of snow and it's like -20 outside. But my desert body can't handle this. I can't wait for those 120* summer days.

** ONE DAY UNTIL MY RACE **

Today's quote:
"Mountains know the secrets we need to learn. That it might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up." - Tyler Knott Gregson

You can and WILL crush this mountain! You've got this. I'd say wear as little as you're willing to tolerate. Then any layers you add on top just be sure they're all things you'd be willing to toss mid-race. Another one of my top rules on race day:

Whatever you decide to do is the right decision. Don't second guess during the race because that only breeds negative thoughts. Wait until after the race is over to evaluate the decisions you made and dissect all the little bits and pieces. So whatever you choose to wear is the perfect choice. :D

I advise that you do a little warm-up before the race (again no earlier than 60 min and no sooner than 15 min to start). BUT with the temps where they are, be extra mindful of not sweating during the WU. Sweating during the WU and then stopping for the pre-race stuff can really cause the chills. So if it comes down to being too warm to WU without causing sweating, then skip the WU. Just take the first few miles a touch easier then desired to let your body WU then instead.

Go get'em! :car:

The song "Climb every mountain" from Sound of Music keeps playing in my head while reading your journal today. I agree with everyone you got this!!! Also ditto on the throw away layers and ones that are easy to get off. Not sure how much waiting in corrals you'll have but we found cheap bathrobes were awesome for keeping warm while waiting, better than the mylar blankets. Run happy this weekend. Looking forward to the recap.

You can and WILL crush this mountain! You've got this. I'd say wear as little as you're willing to tolerate. Then any layers you add on top just be sure they're all things you'd be willing to toss mid-race. Another one of my top rules on race day:

Whatever you decide to do is the right decision. Don't second guess during the race because that only breeds negative thoughts. Wait until after the race is over to evaluate the decisions you made and dissect all the little bits and pieces. So whatever you choose to wear is the perfect choice. :D

I advise that you do a little warm-up before the race (again no earlier than 60 min and no sooner than 15 min to start). BUT with the temps where they are, be extra mindful of not sweating during the WU. Sweating during the WU and then stopping for the pre-race stuff can really cause the chills. So if it comes down to being too warm to WU without causing sweating, then skip the WU. Just take the first few miles a touch easier then desired to let your body WU then instead.

Go get'em! :car:
Your pep-talks have been such a boost for me. Forever grateful for you.

The song "Climb every mountain" from Sound of Music keeps playing in my head while reading your journal today. I agree with everyone you got this!!! Also ditto on the throw away layers and ones that are easy to get off. Not sure how much waiting in corrals you'll have but we found cheap bathrobes were awesome for keeping warm while waiting, better than the mylar blankets. Run happy this weekend. Looking forward to the recap.
Ah yes, the only part of the Sound of Music that I skip. Hahaha. But now I bet that song will pop into my head at the most crucial part and I will be thankful for that comic relief. :) I headed to Goodwill at lunch and got some throw away clothes! But bathrobes are brilliant!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!