Everything I expected about Discovery Cove was wrong...

RllngRckBrw

DIS Veteran
Just back from vacation and we were at Discovery Cove on June 23. First, I have to say our experience exceeded all expectations. It really is a special place.

I did not go into DC expecting to be disappointed but the what I thought to be the important things going I turned our to be wrong and the overlooked details ended up being the highlights.

First thing, is I expected the day to be all about our dolphin experience and everything else would just be “filler”. First, not only was I wrong about the other attractions but the stingray pool was a much better experience than the dolphins. I couldn’t understand why people said that you could book a DC day without doing the dolphins, I now know.

Second, I wanted desperately to get our cabana (which was awesome but we could have lived without) on the dolphin pool. We ended up getting placed on the stingray pool and it couldn’t have been better. We had our own private access and while the water was available to everyone, the shallow area in front of us remained largely empty of guests all day, giving my son plenty of area to play with the rays.

Finally, I only booked this day to replace our excursions on our cruise, but wasn’t sure it was worth the nearly 2K (including the elite pacakage for dolphin pics and cabana) that it cost our family of 4. It exceeded all expectations. Despite 3 separate thunderstorms in the afternoon, we had one of our best family days ever. I can’t see any way that I wouldn’t do it again. Discovery Cove truly is a special experience. I am so glad we decided to finally go for it.

Last edited:
That is great to hear. We have never been and I am thinking about adding to our next summer trip.

I do want a cabana. We enjoy having a cabana at all the water parks we go to. Can you request an area, the stingray pool location sounds great!

DH and I are beer drinkers, so I like the idea that beer is included and unlimited. Will your cabana host stock the cooler with beer for you? Do they bring you food or do you go and get it your self?

I am claustrophobic and the thought of wearing a vest is panicking me a bit. I have read I do not have to wear the wet suit, which is good, I could not handle it. I might be able to handle the vest. Is it super tight? Uncomfortable? I am not worried about the water temp, I am used to swimming in cold water. I am just nervous about the vest. Can you ever take it off and swim?

Any other tips is much appreciated!

It is my understanding (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) that you can request but they are not guaranteed on location.

Our host came by when we got in early and asked brand and amount of beer we wanted stocked. (He also stopped by 5 or 6 times through the day and even delivered our dolphin photos.) You are also able to grab beer at any of the bar areas you pass.

They will bring snacks to the cabana but it is just prepackaged items like chips. Breakfast and lunch require you to go get it yourself.

While I don’t have issues with claustrophobia, I didn’t feel the vest to be to restrictive. For me it felt comfortable and did become more loose when wet. You can take it off in the fresh water pool and lazy river, but it must be worn to swim with the dolphins and stingrays.

If there are any other questions you have please feel free to let me know, I can answer based on our experiences.

Also, if you are doing the dolphin swim as well as the cabana, look into the Elite package. It gives you a cabana, all of your photos and a few small gifts which are nice. We got a bouy, a picture frame, a towel and a shoulder bag. All were nice. I think the elite package ran is just around $500.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter