Experiences at Dog-Friendly Disney Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at Animal Kingdom Lodge I saw 2 highly trained, highly professional service dogs attending their owners. However while leaving Hollywood Studios one evening I observed one animal that had a tag that said service dog but this one was obviously NOT one. It was growling and snapping at children. I felt very sorry for that poor dog being brought into an environment it could not understand and being so scared. They were boarding a bus to Port Orleans and no one would get on the bus with them. It was a mess.

Folks, please read the ground rules on the first post before you post on a FAQ thread. This is not a general discussion thread, it is only for guest reports of experiences at the dog-friendly resorts.

If your post doesn't contain a first-hand report of your experiences at a dog-friendly Disney resort, it doesn't belong on this thread and will be deleted.

If you want to discuss the policy or ask questions about it, post on one of the currently active threads on the Resorts board, or start a new thread.

Last edited:
If you have an experience (good or bad) at one of the four dog-friendly Disney resorts, please share it here.

If you brought your dog(s) and you’d like to tell us how it went, please do!

If you’re not a fan of dogs and you want to relate an experience you had at one of these resorts, please do!

This thread is a bit of an experiment, so there may be some changes to the format and “rules of the road" as time goes on.

Here are the ground rules for this thread:

1) NO DEBATE. Any posts other than reports of experiences with dogs will be removed. If you have questions about the policy, or want to discuss the policy, there's probably a thread on the dog policy on the Resorts board. If you can't find one, feel free to start a new one.

2) You’ll notice that I haven’t invited reports of dogs in theme parks or resorts not participating in the trial. That’s because at this point, we have to assume that those dogs are service dogs, and are there with the knowledge and approval of the resort or theme park. This thread isn’t the place to discuss that. If you want to complain about the presence or validity of service dogs at WDW, send it to this address: WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com

3) NEW: Please don’t copy and paste social media posts about experiences with dogs at Disney resorts. The purpose of this thread is to report YOUR personal experiences. Otherwise, we’re just going to end up with yet another out-of-control argument thread where people argue their side by pasting in Twitter and Facebook posts that support their position. Any such posts from external sites will be deleted.

We've stayed at FW several times over the past few years, and have brought our chocolate lab with us each time. He is well-behaved, as were all of the other dogs we encountered while there. They have a fenced-in dog park with water and plenty of room for exercise. ALL Cast Members have treated us very well when our dog was with us...no issues!

We were at yacht club June 17-24. We only saw two dogs: one a Yorkie our for a walk and the other was a daushand by the pool. The owner had it on her lap and hidden from the lifeguards behind some towels but everyone could see it. There was one very vocal lady about it being there but to my knowledge she never said anything to anyone that mattered

We were at AoA in June. We saw 2 dogs and heard a 3rd. The 2 dogs were large -- looked like a greyhound mix possibly. They were together. Saw the owner walking them twice -- both times in a grassy area that was *not* a designated doggie relief area. The 3rd dog we didn't see, only heard in the hallway of our building. It was definitely a small dog. We heard it let out 2 quick barks and that was it. Never saw it around the building or outside and only heard it that one time.

Stayed at POR (Oak Manor, Royal Room) and saw one dog at a distance. It was being walked in a grassy area near the parking lot (never went in that direction so I didn't know if it was a "Designated Area" or not) and I resisted the urge to go over & ask to pet it (I missed my dogs). Besides that one glimpse I didn't see or hear any other dogs. I did hear the person above me flushing the toilet in the middle of the night though, lol. Never noticed any smells or signs that dogs had gone potty anywhere I went around the resort.

Just back from Art of Animation and saw several dogs throughout our stay. I have to say, I had mixed feelings before we arrived, but after experiencing dogs at the resort, I was pleasantly surprised. As a dog owner myself (left my pup at home as she's fairly high strung and would be miserable in a resort situation) it was nice to see some dogs while on vacation. We met several very nice dogs and their owners during the week. We struck up conversations with several dog owners and it was interesting to hear their perspectives. One man told me he had been coming to WDW for 15 years, but always stayed offsite because of his dogs. This was his first on-site stay and he and the dogs were loving it. I was not negatively impacted by dogs being at the resort at all. If anything, it enhanced my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts