"expert" help-what would you do??

maroney495

Mouseketeer
What would you do in this situation??(I'll try to explain as briefly as possible)
We are trying to plan a December return trip. Will be myself, DH DD(25) DS(14). We decided after a March trip that one room will not get it for us any longer(too much togetherness! even though we are only in the room a limited time) We have made ressies for RPH at Universal for 12/22(got good rate and will share one room for that night) We planned to stay at WDW 12/23 till 1/1.
Well this is the situation: DH's union is in contract dispute and plant may shut down(?) not sure if or when. Our governor is trying to consolidate our small schools(DD is a teacher in our small town school and I am the district bookkeeper). This will close our school and put us both out of a job(there again we will not know until this fall when this will actually happen). My father has lung cancer and not in the best of health. So our plans may be changed later because of family or budget matters.
We thought of a rental home but 1. it is "mind boggling" just figuring our where to start.2. all I have found require a non-refundable deposit(don't want to lose this if we have to cancel)
I prefer to stay on site, but for that week even two All Star rooms are high. I am leaning toward reserving two all star rooms and hoping for a discount(This is unlikely I know but it did happen last year). Then if we see we just can not swing this we can look at canceling this and looking at something off-site (more budgeted) closer December.(We have AP's so room will be the most cost)
What would any of you do???
(sorry so long)

How about maybe renting points from a DVC member for a one bedroom villa?

Tough situation and I have sympathy for you. The travel time you have mentioned is one of the most expensive times of year to travel. You may want to check with an experienced travel agent such as Dreams Unlimited (board sponsor) or Small World Travel to consider your options.

Thanks
Jason

I think if it was me, I would probably do what you are leaning towards. Book a room now and then change it as things firm up.

I don't think rental homes all sell out so that should be availble later.

Have you thought about a suite hotel? I know that would give you two rooms and some kitchen space. There is a Homewood Suites and a Springfield Suites in Lake Buena Vista. Both of those would have standard hotel cancellation policies.
The problem with DVC points is that the owner would probably not want to make a late cancellation, plus a lot of things there are already booked up now.

How about booking two connecting rooms at one of the All Stars Resorts. You will have two complete rooms and two bathrooms with a connecting door in between.

If you book it through CRO I think you have up to 7 days before you check in to cancel with complete refund.

Good Luck!
Cindy in NY

Have you thought about the teacher discount at the Swan? I just helped a fellow teacher book there for $129 for 12/26-12/29 so I know you could get that rate for the holiday season. You then have Disney's 5 day cancellation policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter