Exploring the North Shore

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
I had hoped to book around 3 nights at Turtle Bay and explore the North Shore while there. They are taking their time opening booking the dates I would like, plus the prices will probably be outrageous over Easter anyway.

I am thinking of dropping Turtle Bay and just adding more time at Aulani. We would have a car and could drive up to the North Shore for a day or two. Is it pretty easy to do everything in that time? Any recommendations on what to see, do?

I know it is still early and I could wait but I am using credit card points for flights and need to rent a few days at Aulani and would like to book now so we get what we want. I am sure Easter week will be very popular.

We did the North Shore in a day from Aulani. We got to the Dole Plantation when they opened around 9:30am, left around noon, stopped in Haleiwa for lunch at Kono's, walked around to the surrounding shops, stopped at Turtle Beach, visited Waimea Valley, and then stopped at Matsumoto's on the way back through Haleiwa. I think we got back to Aulani around 7-8pm. We didn't go further past Waimea Valley where Turtle Bay Resort is, so I can't speak to what else there is to do in that direction. IMO, this pretty much encompasses all there is to do in the area, unless you are planning for beach time or a tour or something like that. If you're just exploring with no plans and nothing booked like we did, then I'm not sure if there's anything else we could have added to our itinerary.

I'll second @nkereina suggestions above. About the only thing she left out was a stop at the KoHana Rum factory on the way. Oh, and the Beach House in Haleiwa is excellent for lunch.

Agreed with all of the above. The only thing I'll add is that Ka'ena Point is a wonderful (and easy) family hike to a nature preserve that you can access from either the North Shore or from the leeward (West) side of the island. The two paths are similar in length but different in terrain.

Unless you're a surfer, the North Shore isn't more than a day trip.

We did North Shore yesterday, and I feel you could do everything in a day. Not sure how old your family members are, but cliff jumping at Waimea Bay was on my family’s to-do. Also not sure if the waves will be too big when you’re there. We started the day at a beach park there with surf lessons for my youngest, which she loved! Just know traffic is crazy, and parking at Waimea Bay was challenging to say the least. Matsumoto’s was underwhelming in our entire family’s opinion, and the Dole Plantation looked insane so the tip to go early is a good one. Shark’s Cove is supposed to have quite a few sea turtles if that appeals.

I am visiting my BFF who is moving to Oahu, 12/26-1-8.
The big waves and watching surfers is on my bucket list!!
I wanted to book turtle bay but at $1000 a night:sad2:.
So I wound up finding a 2BR (VRBO)for $900 for 3 nights!!! Right across from sharks cove , and walk to surf beaches and food trucks :worship:
Way better comes with bikes and beach gear.
And the beds at turtle bay or not even queens!!! 2 doubles.
Then last 4 nights are in Aulani.
Happy planning
Kerri

North Shore is great and can be done in a day trip!

During surf season you can watch people at Pipeline or Vezyland beach. During the low season, you can snorkel at Shark's cove. Be careful if you want to swim. Pipeline doesn't even allow swimmers and some of the other beaches have 6 to 10 ft breakers.

Waimea Valley and Ka'ena point are both worth hiking.

Food recommendations are the Sunrise Shack, Giovanni's Shrimp, Okina Cafe, Kono's BBQ, Haleiwa Seafood, Jax Pizza, and Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

Kawela Bay has nice short hikes and a hidden beach, which has much more reasonable waves than the rest of the north shore.

We did North Shore yesterday, and I feel you could do everything in a day. Not sure how old your family members are, but cliff jumping at Waimea Bay was on my family’s to-do. Also not sure if the waves will be too big when you’re there. We started the day at a beach park there with surf lessons for my youngest, which she loved! Just know traffic is crazy, and parking at Waimea Bay was challenging to say the least. Matsumoto’s was underwhelming in our entire family’s opinion, and the Dole Plantation looked insane so the tip to go early is a good one. Shark’s Cove is supposed to have quite a few sea turtles if that appeals.
North Shore is great and can be done in a day trip!

During surf season you can watch people at Pipeline or Vezyland beach. During the low season, you can snorkel at Shark's cove. Be careful if you want to swim. Pipeline doesn't even allow swimmers and some of the other beaches have 6 to 10 ft breakers.

Waimea Valley and Ka'ena point are both worth hiking.

Food recommendations are the Sunrise Shack, Giovanni's Shrimp, Okina Cafe, Kono's BBQ, Haleiwa Seafood, Jax Pizza, and Matsumoto's Shave Ice.

Kawela Bay has nice short hikes and a hidden beach, which has much more reasonable waves than the rest of the north shore.

Thanks to you both for the recommendation of Shark’s Cove and Kawela Bay; heck living on Oahu even I never went to either place. Putting it on our list for this fall’s visit.

Cliff jumping? Even in my 20’s living there I would be way too scared to do that! Yikes! Hats off to kids that will do that!

Thanks to you both for the recommendation of Shark’s Cove and Kawela Bay; heck living on Oahu even I never went to either place. Putting it on our list for this fall’s visit.

Cliff jumping? Even in my 20’s living there I would be way too scared to do that! Yikes! Hats off to kids that will do that!
Be careful at Sharks Cove. The rocks are super sharp. Highly recommend water shoes while snorkeling just to protect your feet a bit (if you don’t wear fins). Lots of rocks on the beach too, but plenty of little pockets of sand for sitting. We enjoyed it!

cliff jumping at Waimea Bay was on my family’s to-do.
Ok, tell me more….did y’all actually jump? How old are your kids? My son was 13 when we went and I wouldn’t let him jump. (You know there’s more rocks next to that rock, right?!?) But he’ll be 18 when we go back, and I told him we’d go to Black Rock if he wants to jump there. Do you watch a few folks ahead of you and just aim for the same spot? Do you try to go just after a wave passes or does that matter? I know people do it every day, but I just want to make sure he’s being as careful as he can. Thanks for any insight!

My family and I really enjoyed the north shore and went back for two half days. Watching the surfers and playing the sand were highlights for us. The traffic can be discouraging though. Often it was standstill or just at a crawl. We stayed only at Aulani and were really happy with that arrangement.

Ok, tell me more….did y’all actually jump? How old are your kids? My son was 13 when we went and I wouldn’t let him jump. (You know there’s more rocks next to that rock, right?!?) But he’ll be 18 when we go back, and I told him we’d go to Black Rock if he wants to jump there. Do you watch a few folks ahead of you and just aim for the same spot? Do you try to go just after a wave passes or does that matter? I know people do it every day, but I just want to make sure he’s being as careful as he can. Thanks for any insight!

we love jumping off these rocks as well. Just watch the locals (young and old) and you’ll be ok. Most dangerous part IMO is climbing up rocks but still is reasonably safe if you take time.

Yes, my husband and oldest (16) jumped together! There were a ton of people jumping/also backing out of the jump. 😆 Suggestions are to pencil dive (or the entire beach will audibly groan), and to plug your nose! There is also a smaller rock kids were jumping off as well. I refused to get in the water there as it was way too rough even though it’s summer. My youngest (13) got caught up and slammed pretty hard, so she was done before the other two went to jump.

Be careful at Sharks Cove. The rocks are super sharp. Highly recommend water shoes while snorkeling just to protect your feet a bit (if you don’t wear fins). Lots of rocks on the beach too, but plenty of little pockets of sand for sitting. We enjoyed it!

Also beware of the waves. They can come clean over the wall during big swells.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter