Expo, Disneyland, and Half Marathon.... oh the timing!

alisigns

Can't wait to See Mickey!
Let's talk about timing! Preparing for my first half marathon and first runDisney event, how important is it to check out the Expo first thing? I notice that for the schedule, the Expo starts on Thursday and the race isn't until Sunday. Should I arrive Thursday afternoon for the Expo? Get the good stuff? And then what do you think of the plan to go to the parks on Friday and half a day Saturday and then rest up Saturday night?

What does your schedule normally look like? :yay:

It all depends on what you want to accomplish at the Expo. Some runners like to be in and out there as fast as possible. Others like to spend all day at the expo. They'll check out official race merchandise and the possible long lines to get it, wander the expo floor and check out the vendors that interest them, and check out the speaker series if they have one.

As for the rest of your plan, it matches up with what I do. In years where I ran the Half only, I would generally spend Friday in the parks, head to the Expo for a bit, and go back to the parks. Saturday would be a light day in the parks. Up early for a shorter wait in lines, a light lunch, dinner around 5 or 6 and back to the hotel for bed. In recent years, I've ran the Rebel Challenge, but I still spend part of Saturday in the parks. I am extremely aware of how much time I'm spending on my feet and will take frequent seated breaks for at least 10-20 minutes at a time. I like to be in the parks after a race because it helps me stay loose, but I make sure to not do too much to preserve my legs for the Half.

My game plan for my first half (so this is not veteran advise) is arriving to DL on Friday for Tink weekend, hanging out for a bit to let the crazy crowds go through then hitting up the expo early afternoon. I'd rather not stand in a long line right when it opens. And I know I could sacrifice some merch for waiting, but I pre-ordered a pin, a jacket, and a purse. So I know I will not be leaving empty handed. Plus now that is money already spent, which is kind of dangerous because I know I'll probably end up buying a few more things that catch my eye.
I'll be near the expo again on Saturday so we'll see if I have the willpower to stay away or if I pop back in to check out more stuff :)

I have done the WDW expo for marathon weekend on Thursday afternoon, but since my 5k bib and shirt pickup was not in the main building and we were crunched for time I never did experience that expo fully. This time around I didn't over-schedule myself so I can take my time :)

If you want official and popular merchandise, go to the expo early.

If you don't care about merchandise, go on the 10K day to get your bib and shirt and be done with it.

Or if you're good with the rawthreads, sparkleathletic, sparkleskirts, CEP, Clif etc sort of merchandise, most of that will still be available as the expo goes on so you can go for an in between.

Our plan is to hit it Thursday afternoon, but if lines are still long then we will punt and return Friday afternoon. There's nothing for me that's a must have for merchandise. I enjoy wandering the expo, but not enough to wait in crazy lines.

If you want official and popular merchandise, go to the expo early.

If you don't care about merchandise, go on the 10K day to get your bib and shirt and be done with it.

Or if you're good with the rawthreads, sparkleathletic, sparkleskirts, CEP, Clif etc sort of merchandise, most of that will still be available as the expo goes on so you can go for an in between.

I've done two previous runDisney races at Disneyland, but I've never had (or made) time to check out the expo beyond the official race merchandise tent and picking up my bib and shirt. The New Balance booth is definitely now on my radar, but it sounds like vendors such as Sparkleskirts, etc. have booths at the expo? If true, I will definitely make time to check out the broader expo, at least for Tink, because I'll be getting to DL on Thurs. afternoon.

I've done two previous runDisney races at Disneyland, but I've never had (or made) time to check out the expo beyond the official race merchandise tent and picking up my bib and shirt. The New Balance booth is definitely now on my radar, but it sounds like vendors such as Sparkleskirts, etc. have booths at the expo? If true, I will definitely make time to check out the broader expo, at least for Tink, because I'll be getting to DL on Thurs. afternoon.
Yes, SparkleSkirts will be there...Raw Threads, Sparkle Athletic (I think), etc. Whenever we get the program, they'll be listed there.

If you want NB shoes, I highly recommend using the Virtual Queue the night before the expo opens to get yourself a spot. :)

Yes, SparkleSkirts will be there...Raw Threads, Sparkle Athletic (I think), etc. Whenever we get the program, they'll be listed there.

If you want NB shoes, I highly recommend using the Virtual Queue the night before the expo opens to get yourself a spot. :)

I've definitely got the Virtual Queue on my radar!

When the event guide comes out, check out the vendor list.

Sparkleathletic is based in socal, I believe, so they are generally at DL events. Spakleskirts is in FL, I believe, so while they should be at DL (just like sparkleathletic is generally at wdw events), check the vendor list. :)

You can also get your legs taped up by the Kt tape people (now for a small fee or with purchase of tape), buy run fuel, running belts, and all sorts of things at the expo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter