Extra magic for my almost-3-year-old

adelew

Earning My Ears
We returned home from our trip about a week ago and I keep thinking about the "extras" that were given to my almost-3-year-old. I was worried that he would feel left out when his older (6 and 9) siblings got to ride the "big" rides and he didn't (only 39 inches tall).

On our first day in the parks, it was quite hot and he went into a full meltdown when he couldn't go on Dinosaur. (Sadly, you must take the too-short child to the queue in order to get the child swap fast pass and then pull them away and explain that they can't ride.) The CM offered him a sticker and a coupon to play a "carnival" game in the Dino Land area. I was very thankful and attempted to take him to do this. Unfortunately, he was not placated and continued his meltdown so I found a quiet area with no other guests (near where Donald Duck meets guests) and let him try to get over himself. I think being over tired and overheated were paying a toll. After a few minutes, another CM who looked to be a manager of some sort was walking by and tried to talk nicely to him. I explained that he was not happy that he could not ride when his siblings could. This lovely CM pulled out a pad and wrote a slip for him to go pick out a free ice cream from one of the vendors. It was so unexpected and really made my day. Nothing like that has ever happened at an amusement park! After he was settled down with his chosen popsicle, we were able to ride rides in Dinoland and use the game voucher to play a game with his siblings.

On another day, my little one was waiting near the Jedi training academy stage area with his dad. Once again, he was waiting around for his older siblings to participate because the minimum age for Jedi training is 4. This time a photopass photographer asked him to come up onto the Jedi stage with his dad. They gave him a light saber and snapped away as he spun and swung the light saber around. My favorite photos from the entire trip came from this moment. He was all alone on the stage with the amazing Star Wars background just having the time of his life.

I was prepared for my little guy to have to do some waiting while we used child swap (bought him extra snacks and souvenirs and found photo booths to play in). But these other instances were unexpected and part of what made Disney so great for our family this trip.

Awww. That was awesome that your little guy was pixie dusted like that. Thanks for sharing!

We are doing first Disney trip soon with my daughter who will be 2 going on 3. I'd love to hear what the highlights were for your almost 3-yr. old!

Aw, I hope she has a great time! My son liked the rides with characters that he recognized like Peter Pan, Frozen, Toy Story, Nemo. Definitely rewatch all the movies before you go so that she remembers them. He like Mickey's Philharmagic. He asked to ride the Carousel, train, and Aladins carpet. He was able to ride seven dwarfs mine train and enjoyed that. Any boat type ride was good with him. He like the animals at Animal Kingdom and the aquarium at Epcot. We stayed at Kidani Village and he liked looking at the Savannah and loved the pool area with its slide. He liked giving high fives to the characters. We did a lot of character meals. Garden Grill was nice because it was family style. Buffets are good, but a little tiring trying to get all 3 kids served and get back to the table for the characters. We discovered that he did not like fireworks. They were too loud and scary. We had the fantasmic dining package but actually skipped the show. It wasn't worth fighting the crowds and keeping him out late when we realized that it would probably be a little overwhelming for him. We didn't have time for the Disney Jr. show at HS, however my other kids loved that when they were little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter