Fabulous first Disney "Vacation" *Update 8/14*

Senk

Mouseketeer
Hi all! I loved reading (lurking) through trip reports while preparing for my family's first Disney trip so I thought I'd try to share our experiences for anyone interested. Let me know if you decide follow along!

Introductions

First DH and I
Sal and Sen, 29/28, high school sweethearts stuck with each other for life!
I'm an Insurance adjuster and DH is in First aid Sales

15048005_1107518042695628_5739091169573339136_n_1.jpg

We have two great children

Jr age 10, Gamer, soccer star and generally awesome kid

15046844_1747476158839056_2254369024467009536_n_1.jpg

KJ age 8. Super silly, creative smarty pants

13267390_237970863246771_27602099_n.jpg

Also joining us for a few days this trip will be one of Sal's best friends FireDad (I don't know how he feels about having himself on the internet so we'll call him by his job) and his son AJ. . Sal and FireDad are also friends since high school.

Our kids have grown up together so it was great having them along

Our dates were June 4-June 10

This was earliest in the summer we could go. DH wouldn't let me pull the kids out of schools so June had to do. We planned 6 park days and 7 nights.

We stayed at Port Orleans in a Royal Room. AJ and FireDad stayed offsite.

This trip was a first for all of us. Neither DH nor I went to Disney World as children and we couldn't afford to take our kids any sooner. We probably could have gone a few years ago but didn't really think about it until last year. I can't remember why but once I decide we were going to Disney World I couldn't let it go until it was booked!

So we planned for months. By we I mean me. I planned for months. I stumbled on the Dis looking for info on if my children were too old (spoiler- the were not too old!) I think my search was something like “tweens in Disney World”. Of course then I was hooked

Finding these boards was the best thing that could have happened. The stuff I read on here helped my planning so much! We had so many experiences I wouldn't have even known existed without reading new stuff here daily.

I challenged myself to wait in line as little as possible, save money and most importantly have fun! I didn't meet all of the goals. Disney isn't a vacation, I kind of knew that going in by DH certainly learned something new!

I'm not a photographer so this will be cell pic and photopass heavy but hopefully a lot of fun!

Last edited:
Following along. My family loves Disney and were looking at going next year on the same dates your family just went. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Following - my family is heading for their first (and probably one and done due to distance, sob) trip to DW later this year, so I look forward to seeing how it went for you guys!

So excited to follow along! We were actually in a Royal Guest Room at POR from the 4th to the 9th! We might have bumped in to each other!!!! :D Can't wait to read about your adventures!!

Following along. My family loves Disney and were looking at going next year on the same dates your family just went. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Yay! Thanks for joining

Following - my family is heading for their first (and probably one and done due to distance, sob) trip to DW later this year, so I look forward to seeing how it went for you guys!

I planned this as a one and done too. I'm already thinking about what we would do differently next time but it isn't likely to happen.

So excited to follow along! We were actually in a Royal Guest Room at POR from the 4th to the 9th! We might have bumped in to each other!!!! :D Can't wait to read about your adventures!!

I wouldn't be surprised if we did! I wondered everywhere we went if there may be Disers nearby

Can't wait to read about your first trip!

Woot!

Following along! We don't have kids yet, but I love reading about people's first trips since it will be DH's first trip to the World ever, and my first trip back in almost 20 years.

Pre trip and Travel Day

We were not leaving till Sunday but I took Friday off of work to finish some shopping since Saturday was a big soccer day and I was going to be packing in the afternoon.

Friday I started laundry then had to pick MIL up from the car dealer. She got stuck with me as I ran some errands. Dollar store for ponchos, Target for sunscreen and body glide (MIL ended up getting each kid 2 outfits for the trip because she spoils them rotten) and Kohls where DD tried on literally every swimsuit in her size and still didn't find one that fit or that she liked. Everyone hates swimsuit shopping but seriously, you're 8 kid. They all look cute.

While driving around we heard on Radio Disney that it was
National Donut Day! What?? Of course we went straight to Krispy Kreme four a free donut each, plus and extra dozen because, why not!

giphy.gif

Then after that we met with our travel agent to get luggage tags and the itinerary she said she was making. She didn't have the itinerary but told me she would email it. I guess it was supposed to be like a touring plan. Who knows. She never did send it.

Saturday Morning the kids had soccer games. I coach DD's team. Trying to direct 11 eight year old girls is a nightmare! and it isn't worth the $20 savings on season fees yet I continue to do it every season. I might be crazy :crazy:

My/DDs team tied and DS's team won the U10 tournament.

Then we went home to pack and have an early bed time since we were flying out at 5:15a the next day.

American charges $25/ check back so I wanted to try to take only 2 bags. That wasn't happening but I made it work with 3 thanks to packing cubes! Those things are awesome for organizing I. I'm not sure they helped too much with space but I wasn’t about to pack 2 times to find out. We ended up with two sets of packing cubes. The pink ones were for the kids

No one could sleep because we were all so excited but eventually lights were out at 11p.

Alarms went off at 3:30a we got up and dressed, called an Uber and were at CMH (Columbus, Ohio) by 4:10a. Thankfully we live close to the airport and there was no traffic at 4:00a. Security was longer than I expected but we made it to the gate in plenty of time.

The kids had never been on a plane so they were pumped about it! We were near an emergency exit so we had extra leg room. Totally unneeded with children but nice for the grown ups.

We had a lay over and landed at MCO appx 9:15a

We deplaned, had a restroom break, hopped on the monorail thing

and walked straight onto the Magical Express Bus about 9:45. It was almost full and we were the last to board so no waiting, that was nice. What wasn't so nice is that this bus made 4 stops with POR being the last. Oh well. We got to POR about 10:30a, room wasn't ready so we dropped our extra carry on will bell services and jumped on a bus to Magic Kingdom!

UP Next- Magic Kingdom Day 1

We made it!

After taking our fist Disney Bus we arrived at MK!

So pumped to see the castle we took a selfie.

See the clouds and gray skies, a preview of what was to come all week.

Main street was crowded. I expected that but I was still surprised. Half of it was the photopass

lines. We didn't stop anywhere and just kept walking and then took our first photopass pic closer to the front.

Notice the hoodies. They didn't need them but it was not hot. Probably mid 70s. It was hotter in Columbus,Ohio where we came from and we were all surprised by that.
Also see the dress with sneakers, a look I rocked much of the week. Totally functional.
Okay so they sell Photopass as this great way to get pics of your vacation but honestly you get the same posed pictures with tons of strangers in the background. I debated buying it but in the end I was glad I did. I'm not likely to frame these or anything but they are good to have. And it was nice to have instantly available to spam our friends on FB and IG.

At this point we were starving since all we had eaten were Cinnabons at the airport and had some time before our first FP so we went to find lunch. Pecos Bills it was!

The food was good. We shared nachos, fajitas and a Burrito. The nachos and fajitas were good, burrito was meh. I mean it all tasted similar but the burrito was just weird and hard to eat. We were happy and with full bellies headed to our fist ride.

Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road. We had a FP and it was so weird to just walk by all the people standing in line. We talked to a very nice woman in line that gave me a bunch of Disney ins and outs. I couldn't help but wonder if she was a Diser. She knew all the stuff I read on here.

Kids had never been on a ride of any sort before so as a first on BTMR was awesome, we loved it!

We met up at this point with FireDad and AJ and toured a bit. Went to Country Bears Jamboree which was super weird.

Used a FP for Splash- here we saw a family trying to force a maybe 10 year old girl on the ride. She was screaming, holding onto the rails and appeared quite distraught. My kids will never forget that. She ended up waiting with CMs while her family rode and of course my own children were looking at me like what is this ride going to be?? Ended up fun and we loved it.

We had some time before our next FP so we got a spot for the parade. And I took some awkward pics

20170604_151225.jpg

Went on to ride POTC, bought souvenirs and took pics

and at that point everyone was tired from our early morning and got a text our room was ready so we went back to the resort and I took zero room picks before we made a mess of it.

Here are some from outside

We had an ADR so we ate dinner at Boatwrights at POR and then headed back to MK for a FP we picked up for Tomorrow Land Speedway. It was raining pretty significantly at this point but we had fun on that ride. The kids wanted to do it again

So I mentioned I'm an insurance adjuster right? I am an injury adjuster meaning I negotiate and settle/pay people and attorneys for injuries. Many come from rear end fender bender type accidents. I couldn’t help but thinking while we were in line seeing the cars pullup and hit the ones in front from the rear how many injury claims these could be. Clearly I was not quite on vacation mode.

I wasnted to ride some other rides since HEA was about to start and wait times were low or watch HEA but DH vetoed. The NBA playoffs were on so we had to get back to watch the Cavs.

I didn't put up much of a fight. We were worn out after a long but successful first day

20170604_213658.jpg

Wow, you get reduced fees for coaching? Wish we had that system, DH always coaches or manages DD's team.

I had to laugh at you assessing the insurance risk on the rides, hard to turn that brain off!

Sad about the poor kid who didn't want to get on the ride. Glad they finally let her be. I think some people get so wrapped up in the idea that their children must have a good time that they forget that good times are different for everyone!

It sure sounds like a fabulous start to the holiday.

Hahaha, I laughed so hard at your description of the Country Bear Jamboree as "super weird"! I had similar thoughts when I saw it as a teenager! Splash Mountain was similarly odd. All you see is the drop, so I did not expect robot animals and singing!

Loving your trip report so far and the pictures are great. You have a beautiful family and looks like your first day on vacation was a success.

Wow, you get reduced fees for coaching? Wish we had that system, DH always coaches or manages DD's team.

I had to laugh at you assessing the insurance risk on the rides, hard to turn that brain off!

Sad about the poor kid who didn't want to get on the ride. Glad they finally let her be. I think some people get so wrapped up in the idea that their children must have a good time that they forget that good times are different for everyone!

It sure sounds like a fabulous start to the holiday.

It isn't much of a discount but it only seems fair since coaching is much work, too bad your DH doesn't have that option

Hahaha, I laughed so hard at your description of the Country Bear Jamboree as "super weird"! I had similar thoughts when I saw it as a teenager! Splash Mountain was similarly odd. All you see is the drop, so I did not expect robot animals and singing!

I didn't expect it in Splash either, the whole Br'er bunch is an, um, interesting choice. The parks are full of what my children call "creepy animatronics"

Following along! Great first day!

it was, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter