Fabulous first Disney "Vacation" *Update 8/14*

Day 2 Animal Kingdom

AK had 7am EMH this day and I initially planned to get there early but there was no way we were getting up that early, I didn't push it though, we had 2 AK days scheduled.

I think we got to the park around 9:30a

AK_ENTR2_20170605_8051374594_zps7zalhz9o.jpeg

We met up with FireDad and AJ and headed in. Fist thing we saw the was the vine/plant stilt lady I cannot remember her name- but she was super cool, most of the people walking by didn't even notice her bt the kids were enthralled. I managed to get no good pictures but I promise she is there by the pole.

View attachment 246862

We walked around a bit, took silly pictures

View attachment 246860

Standard Pictures

View attachment 246861

and since we didn't have anything to do right away we met Russell

View attachment 246859

It's Tough to Be a Bug only had a 10 minute wait so we decided to check it out. I had no clue what this was going to be but it was silly and the we all enjoyed it. I think it is my favorite of the 3D shows we saw at Disney

The kids got a few wilderness explores badges then got bored with that. We had about an hour and a half at this point until out FOP FP but FireDad and AJ didn't have a FP and the wait time was like 120 mins so they went to get in line. I don't know what my family did to be honest. We had a snack at a hot dog cart because nothing else was open yet. Watched the Nemo show because it was starting as we walked by and we were unimpressed. I don't know, maybe it was where we were seated (way back) but I was ready to go halfway through. I feel like we did something else but maybe those two things took all of our time?

We headed to Pandora and it was pretty cool but then we rode FOP and it was AMAZING. When we were in line the CM said too bad this was one of our first rides because nothing else would add up and he was totally right. It was straight up incredible.

View attachment 246854

After the ride the kids bought some type of creatures in the gift shop and FireDad and AJ ended up in the gift shop with us. The timing worked out well and since we were all done at the same time we went to get something to eat.

We went to the QS place by Yak and Yeti. I had a fired Rice, JR had a Turkey Leg that he couldn't finish and I can't remember what Sal and KJ had.

20170605_142549.jpg

We split at this point because AJ and FireDad had an Everest FP. My crew headed to Dinoland and played some games

Dinoland.jpg Dinoland 2.jpg

Jr used all the tickets er got him on one game but his persistence paid off and he won a silly lime green shark. When you are 10 these are the things that matter.

We were all ready for a break so we went back to POR for a swim. I know you are not supposed to take guest to the pools but FireDad and AJ came with us and it wasn't a big deal. It was overcast and sprinkling so the pool wasn't busy. Sal and FireDad got lit off mai tiais :drinking1 and the kids had a blast playing together. Jr and KJ said the pool with AJ was one of their favorite parts of the trip. They can do that together at home any time?

hammock1.jpg

Attachments

• AK_DINOSAURRIDE_20170606_8051921850.jpeg
    AK_DINOSAURRIDE_20170606_8051921850.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170605_121453.jpg
    20170605_121453.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Russell.jpg
    Russell.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Silly AK.jpg
    Silly AK.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 40
  • AK PP.jpg
    AK PP.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 34
  • AK vine woman.jpg
    AK vine woman.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 39
We all had Kali FP so I rounded them all up and we headed back to AK. We had fun on that, then after a spat between 8 year olds followed by a melt down we composed ourselves and went to Pizzafari and some dinner. Children get hangry. Once they ate they were back to being friends. Since Kali was out 3rd FP we snagged another for Dinosaur which was unnecessary. The app said like 30 minute wait but it was literally walk on when we got over there.

AK_DINOSAURRIDE_20170606_8051921850.jpeg

KJs eyes are closed and Sal is looking at her. We all liked this one

Since we had no plans and the standby ROL line was super long we went back to Dinoland.

I love Dinoland at night. Reminds me of those pop up parking lot carnivals I would go to as a teenager with my friends. Since that is what it is supposed to be I enjoy it, the theming is good but subtle.

We all rode Triceratops spin since there was no wait. The kids wanted to go in their own dino and I did my best to get a picture. My best was not very good and endedup being a fuzzy picture of mostly me. Oh well

Triceratops spin.jpg

After Dinosaur we snagged a FP for Primeval While which had a 40 min wait. I asked the CM and they told me it was accurate since only one side was working. We had about 20 mins before out FP started so we went to the photo both. SAl and FireDad got some adult beverages for us and the kids had a blast int he photo booth. I don't think anyone else knew it existed because there was no one around. It is a memory Maker one we so we took a bunch of pics. Firedaad picked a Princess and AJ freaked out. We all had a good laugh about that

Photobooth.jpg Photobooth 2.jpg photobooth 3.jpg

*edit*
I forgot to add when i first poisted this that after the photo booth fun the kids wanted to ride Triceratop Spin again. The CM said they could ride alone so the three of them did which worked well since adults had beverages. We stood around talking waiting for them to get off but they didn't. The ride started up and they were still on! They rode it like three more times in a row. I was about to go get them if they didn't finally get off haha :rotfl:
They did finally get off the ride and we rode Primeval Whirl. I expected it to be more of a kiddie ride. It was pretty fun. Of course the kids had a blast. They seemed to enjoy things best when they rode together. Parents are ok but peers are clearly better!

We were all tired so we decided to walk though Pandora at night which was pretty cool and head out. We were exhausted at this point

Next- Hollywood Studios

Last edited:

She didn't have the itinerary but told me she would email it. I guess it was supposed to be like a touring plan. Who knows. She never did send it.
Wait...what? Seriously, she never sent it? SMH.

While driving around we heard on Radio Disney that it was National Donut Day! What?? Of course we went straight to Krispy Kreme four a free donut each, plus and extra dozen because, why not!

giphy.gif
Why did I not know this? I would have stopped on our way to WDW. We passed a Krispy Kreme about 10 minutes into our trip!

Saturday Morning the kids had soccer games. I coach DD's team. Trying to direct 11 eight year old girls is a nightmare! and it isn't worth the $20 savings on season fees yet I continue to do it every season. I might be crazy :crazy:
Or a good mom.... :)

The kids had never been on a plane so they were pumped about it! We were near an emergency exit so we had extra leg room. Totally unneeded with children but nice for the grown ups.

They are ready!

walked straight onto the Magical Express Bus about 9:45. It was almost full and we were the last to board so no waiting, that was nice.
Cha-ching!

What wasn't so nice is that this bus made 4 stops with POR being the last. Oh well.
Boo! Hiss!

room wasn't ready so we dropped our extra carry on will bell services and jumped on a bus to Magic Kingdom!
Wahoo!!

Pecos Bills it was!
Yummy!

The food was good. We shared nachos, fajitas and a Burrito. The nachos and fajitas were good, burrito was meh. I mean it all tasted similar but the burrito was just weird and hard to eat. We were happy and with full bellies headed to our fist ride.
I loved the nachos and all the fixins!

Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road.
My second favorite ride in all of WDW!

We met up at this point with FireDad and AJ and toured a bit. Went to Country Bears Jamboree which was super weird.
HAHA. Its a total classic though!

of course my own children were looking at me like what is this ride going to be??
:rotfl:

for Tomorrow Land Speedway.
One of AJ's favorites!

I didn't put up much of a fight. We were worn out after a long but successful first day
There is no tired like Disney tired!

Fist thing we saw the was the vine/plant stilt lady I cannot remember her name- but she was super cool, most of the people walking by didn't even notice her bt the kids were enthralled.
DeVine! Love her!

The kids got a few wilderness explores badges then got bored with that.
I'm a mean mommy and didn't even tell my boys about this...oops.

Watched the Nemo show because it was starting as we walked by and we were unimpressed.
I keep planning to go to it but it always gets thrown to the wayside. The last time I did do it, it was kind of boring but I keep thinking I will try it again and then we never make it.

we rode FOP and it was AMAZING
My DH said the same. Unfortunately I get so motion sick I'm afraid to try it. Boo hoo.

We went to the QS place by Yak and Yeti. I had a fired Rice, JR had a Turkey Leg that he couldn't finish and I can't remember what Sal and KJ had.

20170605_142549-jpg.246856
Whoa...that's massive!

My crew headed to Dinoland and played some games
Another place I am a mean mommy...

Sal and FireDad got lit off mai tiais :drinking1
Pool drinks!

Jr and KJ said the pool with AJ was one of their favorite parts of the trip. They can do that together at home any time?
HAHA. I think this is a very typical response!

Uploading pictures is clearly not my thing.
:rotfl2:

We all rode Triceratops spin since there was no wait. The kids wanted to go in their own dino
My boys love this ride! And AJ got to ride in the seat by himself because I was on Everest so Chad was riding with Will.

the kids had a blast int he photo booth. I don't think anyone else knew it existed because there was no one around. It is a memory Maker one we so we took a bunch of pics.
I had no idea. D'oh!

we rode Primeval Whirl.
I like to call that Primeval Hurl...blech.

We were all tired so we decided to walk though Pandora at night which was pretty cool
I'm so sorry we missed Pandora at night. A must-do for next trip.

I found your TR! Joining in on the fun and following! I'm seriously so impressed at how well you were at organizing your first trip. You didn't need that travel agent to do it for you. You truly seem like a pro.

Your kids are so cute and look like they are enjoying every bit of the trip so far. I think it's so funny how they were worried about the girl's reaction on Splash Mountain. Lol! I also can't believe that family just left their daughter with CMs to watch her. One of them should've stayed off. I have a rule that I'll never force a child on a ride (even though I definitely wanted to on this last trip).

You said you had FPs for FOP but didn't comment on the ride. Did y'all like it? I thought it was incredible!

I also agree about Dinoland at night. AK at night in general is pretty awesome but Dinoland has a very fun feel to it.

Can't wait to read more!

I'm enjoying your trip report and I love the triceratop pic, it's a good fuzzy, makes me feel like I'm on the ride too!:hyper:

Following....love your reports....and such a good looking family too!

We will be heading to WDW late August and it'll be my 5th (maybe 6th) trip and my DD's 3rd.

We booked out trip through a travel agent too....well, not exactly.....she booked the Disney portion (resort/tickets/quick service plan) for us. We booked the flights ourselves.

Even though our trip is 1 1/2 months away, I've already started planning......which parks we will visit each day....which food places we may visit....which rides. There are some rides that we definitely will go on - Splash Mountain, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Kali River Rapids, Soarin' are just a few and some rides that DD has said we will not be going on - Tower of Terror is #1. I guess she is still scared from the first and only time she rode it (she was almost 6 then)

We (read: I) have a packing list already created as to what to pack. I had thought about using packing cubes but still not sure if it really saves space. It's only going be 3 of us going so I'm hoping to get by with one checked luggage and maybe 1 carry-on luggage.

I really enjoy reading your report and can't wait for the next part!

Hope you and your family enjoyed your trip to WDW!

Joining in! Love your report so far!

:yay: Yay! welcome

DeVine! Love her!

I'm so sorry we missed Pandora at night. A must-do for next trip.

Yes, that's it, DeVine. She is fine!
Pandora is cool at night but don't feel like you missed anything.

I found your TR! Joining in on the fun and following! I'm seriously so impressed at how well you were at organizing your first trip. You didn't need that travel agent to do it for you. You truly seem like a pro.

Your kids are so cute and look like they are enjoying every bit of the trip so far. I think it's so funny how they were worried about the girl's reaction on Splash Mountain. Lol! I also can't believe that family just left their daughter with CMs to watch her. One of them should've stayed off. I have a rule that I'll never force a child on a ride (even though I definitely wanted to on this last trip).

You said you had FPs for FOP but didn't comment on the ride. Did y'all like it? I thought it was incredible!

I also agree about Dinoland at night. AK at night in general is pretty awesome but Dinoland has a very fun feel to it.

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks Ashley! I planned pretty well with the help of everyone on these boards. I still managed to miss some stuff but overall it was great without the help of our TA

We loved FOP. It was so awesome. I wish we could have done it again but I didn't want to wait in line.

Nice TR so far!!

Thanks!!

I'm enjoying your trip report and I love the triceratop pic, it's a good fuzzy, makes me feel like I'm on the ride too!:hyper:

LOL! That makes me feel better

Day 3 Hollywood Studios

I've heard that Hollywood Studios is a half day at best park for many people but we didn't have hoppers so I planned a full day there. And by full day I mean morning- mid day break and evening. So maybe not truly a full day but that is how we did everything.

We are pretty big Star wars fans and I knew my kids would wasn't to do Jedi Training. I set my alarm the night before so we could rope drop but in the morning no one was getting up. I left the room to go get breakfast and told them to be dressed when I got back. Were they? The kids were but Sal was still in bed. I was so irritated.

We are morning people at home Pre trip I didn't expect RD to be much of a problem. We stay up late and still get up by 7 on the weekends. Disney World is a different place. Staying up late after a long day of physical activity really makes for tired people. Couple that with hotel black out curtains and the family struggled. The kids would have gotten up for me but that darn husband (that is what DH stands for right ;) ) was not having it and would have been terrible all day.

Fire Dad and AJ weren't joining us this day We made it a little after park opening, I think I clocked it at 9:08a but I hear HS opens early. We headed straight Jedi Training but alas we were too late. The line was super long and the CM advised it was for standbys or whatever they call non show back ups. I wasn't about to wait in line for a chance to maybe get to participate. No thanks. Kids were certainly bummed as was I. I did and still do blame DH for this but I bit my tongue intent on having a fabulous day anyway.

So since we were all bummed about Jedi Training we walked around a bit and decided to head to our TSMM FP which I had scheduled for 9:30. We walked by One Man's Dream and decided to hit that up after TSMM.

Toy Story was a lot of fun, turns out we are not very good though!

TSMM2.jpg

Then we went to meet Star Lord and Groot. We should have done this before TSMM. The line was now 30 mins. It took every minute of that and up until this point that was our longest line. We are not line people but we got through. Baby Groot is super cute! I think a masked Star Lord might have been better. The interaction wasn't bad. He tried to get the kids to dance but they were nervous and wouldn't do it.

STUDIO_ONEMANSDREAM.jpg

I think all of our character interactions were awkward. The kids went immediately into pose for a pic mode and stayed there. Not interacting with the character.

We were hungry and got a Mickey Pretzel and Powerade to Share. I took a pic for IG

pretzel.jpg

We didn't like the cheese. It was almost solid and not good. But then I threw it away and KJ decided she did like it. She started to get emotional. My children don't have fits anymore and Jr is all around reasonable but KJ gets moody. It started when she forgot her sunglasses and then I threw the cheese away. She doesn't even do anything but just knowing she is silently pouting bothers me. Whatever. We had another FP to get to. Star Tours!

KJ got out of her cheeseless feelings when she got PICKED TO BE THE REBEL SPY! We all had a great time on this ride. The simulator rides are something we hadn't experienced before.

Afterward in the gift shop they made lightsabers and all was right in the world again. Except she still had no sunglasses. So we got a squinty picture.

STUDIO_SUNSET3.jpg

This PP photographer was really sweet. She had us do some fun poses. Including the kids using the force and another of DH and I kissing with the kids covering their faces. Maybe not DIS appropriate? We have a similar pic from a family shoot a few years ago.

STUDIO_SUNSET3_20170606_402609789465.jpg

Next FP? Tower of Terror.

Both kids were nervous. KJ had watched a video of this and was all about it. Until we rode it. The terror was real :scared1:

STUDIO_TOWEROFTERRORARIDE_2.jpg

Sal looking at KJ again. Almost every ride photo where they sat next to each other. He has watched this video so many times. Hilarious. Shows it to everyone that cares.

Muppets had no wait time (Grabbed a FP probably didn't need it) and watched that. We were hungry at this point so we went to Pizzerizo. It was alright. I don't think I've ever had bad pizza. We decided to go back to POR to hit up the pool and relax since we had the dessert party that evening.

I think I finally figured out the pictures. I have to use a photo hosting site, I can't drag and drop upload them. I honestly have no idea what I was doing wrong they were properly resized but this works and is faster than dealing with that.

Next, Finishing up at HS

JTA is like crazy popular! Last year, Dad dropped AJ and I off around 8:15. We got in around 8:20 and walked as fast as we could but we still had to wait 40 minutes to get signed up. Fortunately there were plenty of slots then but this year I did an 8:15 pre-park breakfast at Hollywood & Vine and we got in at 8 and signed up before breakfast. Took all of 5 minutes. So if you can do it, that's the way to go for sure.

Glad you got all the big stuff done! I do okay with meet & greets but it's mostly bc the kids are there so it makes it easier and less awkward. My kids are young so they get all excited and it's "precious," ya know? Lol.

Glad they all rode ToT. My favorite ride and no one will ride with me. Boo.

I did the pretzel/cheese thing. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. I was hungry and it worked...lol.

Looking forward to more.

Hollywood Studios part 2

I'm pretty bad at this trip reporting thing!

After our morning at HS we decided to go back to the resort for some pool time. This didn't workout though. It started raining when we were eating lunch adn that turned into a downpour by the time we go back to the resort. We were going to go back to our room adn just chill but we were trying to take as may shortcuts as possible to stay out of the rain and walked past the arcade. I guess I knew they had one but it is kind of out of the way and not noticeable. DH is a big kid and was all about playing some games. He bought a few game cards- I have no idea how much they were, didn't ask and honestly even if they were $30 it would have been worth it.

arcade1.jpg

In ponchos

arcade_2.jpg

The place was basically empty.I've heard thse arcades are always dead adn sort of a useless waste of money and I get it. Who wants to play video games when you are at Disney World? We sure were happy to have the option. Another of the kids favorites from the trip.

We has an intense few games of team air hockey that burned up our credits. I think we probably were in there for 30-40 mins.

Then dashed to our room. Our room was about 1/2 mile from the lobby and we were soaked when we got back. Kid kids decided to play more games and watch the Mickey cartoons. I tried to get them to nap but apparently that is for babies. and moms.

room.jpg

After a nice long break the rain slowed to a sprinkle so we got some food, I think at the POR food court then back to HS!

I scored a 5th FP for TSMM

TSMM3.jpg

We really liked this game and would have done it over and over if we had time and FPs> My family is clearly into games and competition.

After that I got a 6th FP for Star Tours again. It wasn't for another 20 mins but we decided to head that way anyway. We walked by the Olaf Meet and it was only 10 mins! DH wasn't interested so the kids and I met Olaf. I love how it smells like tanning oil in there, so funny.

STUDIO_CELEBRITYACHAR_20170606_402624857045.jpg

Olaf liked KJ's hair. I mentioned before the kids are so stiff with the characters but Olaf softened them up a bit.

I also had to hop in for a picture!

STUDIO_CELEBRITYACHAR_20170606_402624947059.jpg

We waited a little less than the 10 mins posted wait time. The line CM told us we came at the right time because the frozen show was just ending a bunch of people head straight to olaf after that because they make an announcement at the end. She was right, when we left the line was all wrapped up and 30+ mins long. Good timing!

We rode Star Tours again, different mission, no spies in our family and still a good time.

At this point it was about 30 mins till the dessert party was scheduled to start. We hadn't seen the lunch bay so we decided to head over there. When we got there they were checking people in for the party so we got in line. The CMs were super nice and talked to us about the weather and where we were from and how the party works and then as we were about to go said, "oh, don't leave yet, talkt Reynolds" They chose us to be the family of the day! He explained how we would get to lead the march out of the party to the viewing area right behind the Storm Troopers! Whaaat?? YES! So much excitement! I don't know why they chose us, right place right time I guess. Pixie Dust!

20170606_195300_2.jpg

With our new fancy badges and smiles from ear to ear we met the Jawas

jawa.jpg

I didn't have anything to trade, they were very interested in those lightsabers though!

Then we met BB8
*Blink*
eyes_closed_BB8.jpg

Try again

Jr is always is serious. KJ is just cutesy because she doesn't know what to do in front of a camera

BB8.jpg

The party stared, we got a table, snacks, tried all of the adult beverages more than once because this party wasn't cheap ::yes::

DD loves sweets but mainly ate hummus, weird for her but it was good

We walked around the launch bay some more and met the other Characters

Kylow is awkward. Not mean to us, just uncomfortable

Kylo.jpg

Chewy

chewy_kids.jpg

Got more drinks then it was time for the show. We were announced to the group and followed the storm troopers. Also, people are crazy- like we are clearly "leading" thing thing and people are still trying to rush to get by us to be first to the viewing area. No worries. We walk quickly are not pushable.

20170606_211850.jpg

Is this blurry because I'm power walking or from the Light Speed Margaritas? No one will ever know

Then watched a great show with a great view. It was so nice not to have to stake out a spot early. I was concerned about choosing the Star Wars show over Fantasmic but I have no regrets. I don't know what I missed with Fantasmic and maybe it is also great. I feel like this party and show were amazing and well worth the money. We clearly had pixie dust and libations to encourage this opinion but i would for sure do it again.

Next: We try Epcot

What fun to be chosen to walk with the Storm Troopers!!
Then watched a great show with a great view. It was so nice not to have to stake out a spot early. I was concerned about choosing the Star Wars show over Fantasmic but I have no regrets. I don't know what I missed with Fantasmic and maybe it is also great. I feel like this party and show were amazing and well worth the money. We clearly had pixie dust and libations to encourage this opinion but i would for sure do it again.

Not sure how it compares-we did a package when we did Star wars weekends in 2015. Totally agree was worth it for the viewing/not having to stake out spot. The desserts were awesome, and the adult beverages helped as well.:D Expensive though. Probably won't do a dessert party again unless we can make Jingle bell/Jingle Bam work in November ( I LOVE Prep&Landing).

walked past the arcade
We walked past it every day at WL and no one said a word about going in but now AJ is whining that we did not go! I'll put it on the list for 2018!

In ponchos
I think this is funny!

We has an intense few games of team air hockey
Love it!

I tried to get them to nap but apparently that is for babies.
HAHA

and moms.
I wish!

I scored a 5th FP for TSMM
Wahoo!

so the kids and I met Olaf.
I LOVE this meet!

We waited a little less than the 10 mins posted wait time. The line CM told us we came at the right time because the frozen show was just ending a bunch of people head straight to olaf after that because they make an announcement at the end. She was right, when we left the line was all wrapped up and 30+ mins long. Good timing!
I'll have to remember this. Last year, it started raining so people jumped in the line and we had about a 15 min wait. This year...NO WAIT!

They chose us to be the family of the day! He explained how we would get to lead the march out of the party to the viewing area right behind the Storm Troopers!
So fun! And guess what, we got chosen, too!!

Jr is always is serious. KJ is just cutesy because she doesn't know what to do in front of a camera

BB8.jpg
Love it!

Kylow is awkward. Not mean to us, just uncomfortable

Kylo.jpg
Just think about how he is a whiny brat in the movie and you will be laughing at him!

So cool!!

We clearly had pixie dust and libations to encourage this opinion but i would for sure do it again.
We are definitely gonna do this is 2019 if it is still around!

Loving your TR so far! You have a beautiful family! Sounds like you have did a wonderful job of planning your first trip. Those midday breaks are a life saver! Also so neat about being family of the day!
Is this blurry because I'm power walking or from the Light Speed Margaritas? No one will ever know
Hahahaha Lightspeed margaritas sound delicious!

So I'm a little behind so this is for the past two updates.

I love Mickey pretzels. I'm sorry the cheese wasn't good. I'm a lover of plastic cheese and even though the kind that comes with the pretzels isn't as good as others, I still love it.

You're daughter's shirt is awesome! Did Chewy make any reference to it when you were meeting him? He loved my husband's beard and kept playing with it. Lol!

The pics with the light sabers are great! I love it when the photopass people take extra time with you to get some fun, creative shots.

I'm so jealous that you got to meet Olaf. I wanted to do it on the last trip but we were only by it when we did the Frozen show and as you said it fills up fast.

Glad you were able to hide from the rain in the arcade. It looks like POR has a pretty good sized one. The one at OKW was so small it was like it was put in a broom closet!

It's so impressive that you were able to get a 5th FP for TSMM! Back in the day, you couldn't ever get them. I don't know if you got really lucky on your timing or if the 3rd track being open now makes that big of a difference. Either way it was a good one to get!

Lastly, YAY on being chosen as the family of the day! It's those little extra pixie dust moments that brighten an already great vacation!

Can't wait to read more! You're doing a great job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter