Face mask policy & children with autism

There is absolutely no way my child can/will wear a mask. He can’t even wear a hat.

We bought APs to get two trips in a year. I hope they will refund the remainder of our passes and not just the time that Disney is closed. I don’t blame them for requiring masks but they’ve made it so a portion of the population can no longer attend and it seems the right thing to do is refund the money paid since conditions have changed. I’ll be curious if anyone is able to get a refund because of these circumstances
We’ll have to get an AP refund for my autistic grandson. It’s a shame... he loves Disney. I hope Disney bans face masks with exhale valves. People weighing 5-6 times my grandson weight exhale through masks making them useless.
Although.., universal seems to be more special needs friendly. Maybe we’ll see if he likes universal and invest in a less expensive AP

Last edited:
A lot of the most severe kids/adults are in wheelchairs or strollers as wheelchairs. I really think typical kids are far more likely to be vectors than my autistic kid with cerebral palsy who's in a wheelchair 100% of the time. :) I think worrying about a handful of severely disabled or lung compromised people not wearing a mask (these people being naturally more socially distanced anyway) is really barking up the wrong tree.:)

While children confined to wheelchairs make up a percent of people with disabilities that like to go to WDW, there are many more ambulatory children with autism than not. Some may use a stroller, but not all. So my concerns were legitimate. I work with special needs teens, and none of the teens diagnosed with autism use a wheelchair. We're trying to figure out how they will attend school if we have to wear masks though.

There is absolutely no way my child can/will wear a mask. He can’t even wear a hat.

We bought APs to get two trips in a year. I hope they will refund the remainder of our passes and not just the time that Disney is closed. I don’t blame them for requiring masks but they’ve made it so a portion of the population can no longer attend and it seems the right thing to do is refund the money paid since conditions have changed. I’ll be curious if anyone is able to get a refund because of these circumstances

Just to clarify - Disney hasn't made it so you can't go. Your son just can't tolerate a mask. You can go, but he might have to either wear a mask, try to get an exemption, or try to wear something less constricting. Is he small enough to be in a stroller? Perhaps some kind of covering over the stroller if he rides in one?

We’ll have to get an AP refund for my autistic grandson. It’s a shame... he loves Disney. I hope Disney bans face masks with exhale valves. People weighing 5-6 times my grandson weight exhale through masks making them useless.
Although.., universal seems to be more special needs friendly. Maybe we’ll see if he likes universal and invest in a less expensive AP

I don't get the significance of the weight you mention - can you explain what you mean?

While children confined to wheelchairs make up a percent of people with disabilities that like to go to WDW, there are many more ambulatory children with autism than not. Some may use a stroller, but not all. So my concerns were legitimate. I work with special needs teens, and none of the teens diagnosed with autism use a wheelchair. We're trying to figure out how they will attend school if we have to wear masks though.

Just to clarify - Disney hasn't made it so you can't go. Your son just can't tolerate a mask. You can go, but he might have to either wear a mask, try to get an exemption, or try to wear something less constricting. Is he small enough to be in a stroller? Perhaps some kind of covering over the stroller if he rides in one?

I don't get the significance of the weight you mention - can you explain what you mean?
Small children are less likely to catch or transmit the virus compared to adults. I think Disney lowered the age to 2yro for masks. I’d pay for a virus/antibody test to wave the mask for my grandson. He loves Disney and Sesame Street.

The masks with vents help with overall circulation of air for the wearer (exhalation), but as you point out they do allow droplets to be exhaled. In this instance, the mask is for the benefit of the wearer as the air being inhaled is filtered through the particulate layers (protecting them from others as they breathe). If everyone wore an adequate mask it would become moot, but I get what you are saying, not exactly the best for overall safety.

As I said previously, I find that the standard surgical masks do a good job of preventing large droplets in both directions, not perfect by any means but also as they are disposable you are less likely to use them incorrectly or have multiple cross contamination from storage etc.. As they are light and easy to wear you may have better luck. Certainly is a dilemma for many people.

The masks with vents help with overall circulation of air for the wearer (exhalation), but as you point out they do allow droplets to be exhaled. In this instance, the mask is for the benefit of the wearer as the air being inhaled is filtered through the particulate layers (protecting them from others as they breathe). If everyone wore an adequate mask it would become moot, but I get what you are saying, not exactly the best for overall safety.

As I said previously, I find that the standard surgical masks do a good job of preventing large droplets in both directions, not perfect by any means but also as they are disposable you are less likely to use them incorrectly or have multiple cross contamination from storage etc.. As they are light and easy to wear you may have better luck. Certainly is a dilemma for many people.
I have a mask that I have been using before this started it dose have the exhaust valves but there is also an insert that filters out anything I breath out. So any droplet that I breath out stays in the mask I am not sure if none N95 mask can really protect you if some one caught on you but like you side if Everton wore something then it would be a lot better for Eve one .

This alarms me - if people have a medical reason why they can't wear a mask (like asthma, COPD, etc) people would actually think it's a good idea to go to Disney? Yikes!

I wouldn't count on relaxations zones - you'd probably end up having to wait in a queue just to access it. Assuming it is outside, where they've partitioned off socially distanced squares, not sure where they are even going to locate them. I don't think they can be considered "areas nearby" - unless they are going to use the old smoking areas? But they were small, so there will be lines for them.
Asthma and COPD are a very good reason to wear a mask. Those with these types of lung illnesses should want to keep this virus out of their system. Plus we all know people will try to say they have this or that disability so they'll be exempt. For instance, think about how folks use the words "comfort" animal to bring their pets to Disney.

There are battery power face masks. That has a fan blowing air into the face mask. Has a filter on air intake. That might help people who have trouble wearing a normal type face mask

Asthma and COPD are a very good reason to wear a mask. Those with these types of lung illnesses should want to keep this virus out of their system. Plus we all know people will try to say they have this or that disability so they'll be exempt. For instance, think about how folks use the words "comfort" animal to bring their pets to Disney.

Actually, wearing a mask isn't really to protect yourself, it's to protect those around you. If someone with COPD can't wear a mask, it's because they have a hard time breathing as it is. They do not want to get exposed to this virus - it will kill them if they get it! SO it's a good idea to wear a mask if you can, to prevent giving COVID-19 to those who cannot wear a mask. But if you can't wear a mask because of a health issue, it's still not very smart to go to a heavily trafficked area like WDW until there's either "herd immunity" or a vaccine. I'd wait until a vaccine myself.

People have reported that there is a process to get a refund for your annual passes. All you have to do is call the annual passholder line, explain your situation and request a refund. They'll collect your information and send it for review. Some folks have gotten refunds for more minor stuff.

Double check on the SWA credit, I think ours was good until 6/2021. We will most likely be cancelling. It will be to hard with DS

Based on the requirements, Universal has exactly the same requirements for masks as Disney. Not sure how Universal is somehow more special needs friendly - they're not allowing exceptions on masks either, due to the current global health crisis.

Just curious - has anyone heard how it's been going in Shanghai as far as autistic kids with masks or kids in general? Are they having a lot of problems there?
There are a few other factors to consider there that make their experience different from ours.

First, people in Shanghai (and throughout China) wear masks frequently anyway, and did before this outbreak. Between SARS and the horrible pollution days, it's common to have/wear masks (including ones with N95 filters inside a cloth mask) on a semi-regular basis. So it's not something kids have to "get used to" now and suddenly be ready to wear for 8-16 hours to run around a Disney park. It's something that most have already worn for long stretches of time. It's akin to asking how kids are dealing with wearing hats; it's something the kids have been asked to do for years already, and with the exception of a few more severely-autistic/severely-disabled kids, it's not an issue.

Second is how disabilities are treated in China, particularly ones that...shall we say...involve perceived unruliness or poor behavior? The US is far more accommodating of these types of disabilities than a lot of other countries are, China included. The idea of "it's very hard for him/her to do this thing so we're not going to make him/her do it" is not something that most would even consider. Of course, there is also a longstanding issue with mistreatment or abandonment of children with severe disabilities in parts of China. All of which means that, unlike our roughly 1/100 kids on the Spectrum, they don't really consider accommodations for any but the most severe.

So the idea of "what do we do about exceptions for autistic kids who can't/won't wear masks?" is just not a conversation they're having.

Based on the requirements, Universal has exactly the same requirements for masks as Disney. Not sure how Universal is somehow more special needs friendly - they're not allowing exceptions on masks either, due to the current global health crisis.
While they have the same or similar stated policies,.... there are reports that they also have a wristband system to identify individuals who for different reasons can’t wear a mask. So yes, there seems to be reports that indicate Universal is more accommodating of these issues??

The wristbands at Universal are in a testing phase and not determined to be permanent, currently only in use at City Walk and not inside the parks.

The wristbands at Universal are in a testing phase and not determined to be permanent, currently only in use at City Walk and not inside the parks.

True, they’re not in use inside the parks yet as they don’t open till June 5th.

True, they’re not in use inside the parks yet as they don’t open till June 5th.

Technically the parks re-opened yesterday. The 1st and 2nd are employee days, 3rd and 4th are Passholder days and then the 5th to the public. There were no reported exceptions to masks yesterday in my groups, as I'm also a Passholder to Universal.

Technically the parks re-opened yesterday. The 1st and 2nd are employee days, 3rd and 4th are Passholder days and then the 5th to the public. There were no reported exceptions to masks yesterday in my groups, as I'm also a Passholder to Universal.
I have both emailed and spoke with guest / disability services for both Disney and Universal. Disney has informed me that while they understand the challenge their policy creates for children with sensory issues, they are making no exceptions at this time. (But subject to change ). Universal confirmed to me that they will have guest relations individuals positioned prior to park entrances who can discuss and make accommodations as “”warranted”” for individuals who can not wear a mask.

So at this time (based on my communications) Disney is a firm no to accommodating autistic children (who are unable to wear a mask) and Universal is open to discussing the need and accommodating as warranted.

I have both emailed and spoke with guest / disability services for both Disney and Universal. Disney has informed me that while they understand the challenge their policy creates for children with sensory issues, they are making no exceptions at this time. (But subject to change ). Universal confirmed to me that they will have guest relations individuals positioned prior to park entrances who can discuss and make accommodations as “”warranted”” for individuals who can not wear a mask.

So at this time (based on my communications) Disney is a firm no to accommodating autistic children (who are unable to wear a mask) and Universal is open to discussing the need and accommodating as warranted.

I don't think that Universal had to go through their employee union to come to an agreement on how they should open the parks and with what measures. One of the main reasons that Disney has the mask rule was as a "safety" measure for their cast member to make the union happy. Disney has always gone above and beyond helping the disabled so I can't imagine that this was their doing. I would put money on it that the union made it a requirement as part of their negotiations. We all know human nature. Once there was a way to get around the mask rule, everyone would come down with some kind of disability.

I don't think that Universal had to go through their employee union to come to an agreement on how they should open the parks and with what measures. One of the main reasons that Disney has the mask rule was as a "safety" measure for their cast member to make the union happy. Disney has always gone above and beyond helping the disabled so I can't imagine that this was their doing. I would put money on it that the union made it a requirement as part of their negotiations. We all know human nature. Once there was a way to get around the mask rule, everyone would come down with some kind of disability.

I think the PP has just gotten PC info from Universal, and not so PC info from Disney. I don't think dumping the burden of having to wear a mask on union workers really helpful.

I think the PP has just gotten PC info from Universal, and not so PC info from Disney. I don't think dumping the burden of having to wear a mask on union workers really helpful.

Just to clarify ....what do you mean by PC info?

My info from Universal came by way of phone conversation. Disney emailed me.
Here is the email I got from Disney ....

Sarah Doyle (Disney)
May 31, 2020, 10:47:18 AM EDT

Dear XXXXX

We appreciate you reaching out in preparation for your family's future visits.

At this time, all Guests ages two and above, Cast Members and Operating Participant employees are required to wear an appropriate face covering over both their nose and mouth while visiting the Walt Disney World Resort. As of now, no exceptions are being made to this safety measure.

I recommend checking our website for the most up to date information as your vacation gets closer. Here is the link for your reference https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/.

I understand this is not the answer you were hoping for and apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Kindest regards,

Sarah Doyle
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

As an investor in Disney stocks I read a lot of their business news. The previous poster is correct that the union demands for PPE (including face masks) was a part of their settled negotiations.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter