Fake service animal owners may face jail time with new law

I've started to look into getting a psychiatric service dog for my DD who has autism and bipolar disorder. Just in mentioning the possibility to a few people one of my greatest concerns is coming true. People don't understand that there is a difference between a highly trained psychiatric service dog and a therapy dog or emotional support animal. I would never consider abusing the laws regarding service dogs by trying to pass off an emotional support dog as a service dog, and yet I know there is a likelihood of being accused of such should we move forward with getting a service dog.
I think you are a little confused about "passing off" there are legit therapy and emotional support as well. While they aren't under all guidelines as Service Animals they do serve a purpose and are recommended by a doctor. There will be written orders from your doctor

I've seen a dog in a screened stroller at one of the resorts, waiting on a bus. The lady carried it on the bus, with the stroller folded. It wasn't trained, by any stretch of the imagination. I wondered what kind of service it could possibly be providing. Seemed to just be a pet, that would have been more comfortable at home.

My son has a legit service dog, a German Shepherd who has $20k worth of training. He will be staying home on our Disney trips, with one of my adult daughters, hopefully. We have not been away from him yet and are planning some overnights and weekends to see how it goes first. I know my son can do okay for 5 days, but concerned about Blaze not having my son for 5 days.

Worst case scenario, he will go with us and kennel while we are at the parks. I would take him to the parks if was a sight dog, or if my son would be in a life threatening situation without him. As it is, I can predict my son's needs almost as well as Blaze, as I was in charge of it prior to him.

Taking a service dog to the parks would require a lot of planning and dedication. From protecting their paws, to hydration, food, and bathroom needs. I don't understand why people would ever want to bring pets.

It would be nice if the owners of therapy dogs had to go through training (at least in the laws) before they could get their pet "certified". We were in Dollar Tree and a woman and her dog were in the store. The dog was creating quite a ruckus and one of the employees came over to investigate. The woman stated that this was her therapy dog and she had papers at home to prove it. The woman was told that therapy dogs are not allowed in the store, only service dogs. She said "He's my therapy dog and you can't make me leave." It was really quite disruptive and annoying.
It doesn't really matter if the woman's "therapy" dog was well trained or not.
A person does not have any rights to bring a "real certified therapy dog" into a store than any other pet. People are using the words "therapy dog" in hopes that no one knows that there is a difference between a "therapy dog" and a Service Dog. That seems to be the case in this example.

This is the definition of Therapy Dog And the difference between Therapy Dog and Service Dogs from the American Kennel Club (the only thing I would add is that the AKC should have included Psychiatric Service dogs, but did not):
"Therapy dogs are dogs who go with their owners to volunteer in settings such as schools, hospitals, and nursing homes.
From working with a child who is learning to read to visiting a senior in assisted living, therapy dogs and their owners work together as a team to improve the lives of other people.

Therapy dogs are not service dogs. Service dogs are dogs who are specially trained to perform specific tasks to help a person who has a disability.
An example of a service dog is a dog who guides an owner who is blind, or a dog who assists someone who has a physical disability. Service dogs stay with their person and have special access privileges in public places such as on planes, restaurants, etc. Therapy dogs, the dogs who will be earning the AKC Therapy Dog™ title, do not have the same special access as service dogs.

It is unethical to attempt to pass off a therapy dog as a service dog for purposes such as flying on a plane or being admitted to a restaurant.
"
http://www.akc.org/events/title-recognition-program/therapy/about/

All of the places that actually give real certification for Therapy Dogs make sure the people they train and certify are aware that they only have access to places where they will be providing therapy to others.
I think you are a little confused about "passing off" there are legit therapy and emotional support as well. While they aren't under all guidelines as Service Animals they do serve a purpose and are recommended by a doctor. There will be written orders from your doctor
Not wanting to put words in Maggie'sMom, but I think she is very aware of the differences between the different types of animals.
I think she is concerned that other people who don't know the difference will look at her daughter and her daughter's Service Animal, which has been trained to assist her daughter with her Psychiatric needs and think:

Girl with emotional needs + dog = pet = doesn't belong here > pretending it's Service Dog
OR

Girl with emotional needs + dog = Emotional Support Dog = only belongs in certain places > pretending it's SD

Instead of correctly thinking:
Girl with Psychiatric Disability + dog trained to meet needs = Service Dog = full access rights under the ADA

I've seen a dog in a screened stroller at one of the resorts, waiting on a bus. The lady carried it on the bus, with the stroller folded. It wasn't trained, by any stretch of the imagination. I wondered what kind of service it could possibly be providing. Seemed to just be a pet, that would have been more comfortable at home.

My son has a legit service dog, a German Shepherd who has $20k worth of training. He will be staying home on our Disney trips, with one of my adult daughters, hopefully. We have not been away from him yet and are planning some overnights and weekends to see how it goes first. I know my son can do okay for 5 days, but concerned about Blaze not having my son for 5 days.

Worst case scenario, he will go with us and kennel while we are at the parks. I would take him to the parks if was a sight dog, or if my son would be in a life threatening situation without him. As it is, I can predict my son's needs almost as well as Blaze, as I was in charge of it prior to him.

Taking a service dog to the parks would require a lot of planning and dedication. From protecting their paws, to hydration, food, and bathroom needs. I don't understand why people would ever want to bring pets.
Exactly why we have not brought our daughter's Service Dog to Florida with us.
The things he has been trained to do (mostly picking up things for her and getting one of us to come to her) are things she doesn't need him to do for her in Florida. The disadvantages of bringing him with are much greater than the advantages of having him with.
Obviously, some people's needs are much different and they need their Service Dog to be with them all the time.

Most of the 'bring my dog to WDW in a stroller' seem to be treating their dog like a child and honestly think their dog is enjoying the experience, when the dog clearly is not.
A woman was in the bus one day with a dog that was yipping, growling and would have lunged at people if she had not had him in a very large purse. She said he was "just excited" to go to Magic Kingdom and couldn't wait to go on his first ride.
She explained that he was her service dog ("aren't you, Snuggums?") and that he went everywhere with her. She said the service he provided was "letting me pet him when I feel nervous" and she complained that on many of the thrill rides her "rights were being violated" because the CMs made her put the dog on the floor in her purse; "how is he going to let me pet him if he's in a bag?" She said she had complained, but was told she could not hold the dog for safety reasons. She could not see why they would not make an exception "since I need to pet him, especially on those kinds of rides". It was very obvious that she could not actually see her dog's needs and discomfort.

I've heard the same information from different people over the years who think that needing their dog to pet made it a service dog. They are usually very vocal about it (and sometimes kind of aggressive about it).

Terminology is a big difference. A Service Animal performs a service for the person, it's specifically trained and costs a great deal of money. An Emotional Support is usually a regular animal but prescribed by a mental health doctor for emotional support. They don't have vests like Service Animals for the most part. That is why I made my comment. You cannot tell if it's a "fake" or ESA is the point I am making. I am sorry you didn't understand whst I posted
They aren't even necessarily "prescribed by a mental health Doctor". Anyone can slap a name on the pet and say it is for "emotional support"
Very annoying
I had one barking while waiting in an office. The guy says "Well, he's just a puppy."

They aren't even necessarily "prescribed by a mental health Doctor". Anyone can slap a name on the pet and say it is for "emotional support"
Very annoying
I had one barking while waiting in an office. The guy says "Well, he's just a puppy."
Service Dog definition vs. Emotional Support Animal from adata.org
https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

"A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal."

There are actual guidelines for Emotional Support Animals (ESA) including a doctor prescription. That doesn't allow the ESA to accompany their owner as a service animal, but is needed if the person is bringing their ESA on a plane or wants it in housing that doesn't normally allow pets.
Unfortunately, it seems people are getting on-line Doctor letters and "ESA CERTIFICATION" to try to pass off their pets as ESAs and then pass their "certified ESA" off as being the same as a Service Dog.

It's amazing how many Google search results come up!

No, I think you misunderstood what I am saying. Sue stated it well (and Sue, I don't mind you putting words in my mouth since you phrase things so well :goodvibes ). I do understand there are legitimate emotional support and therapy dogs, and they can be very helpful. But as has been stated repeatedly in this thread, emotional support and therapy dogs do not have all the same access rights as a fully-trained service animal. The dog I would get for my daughter would be a fully-trained service animal and would qualify for full-access rights. My concern is that people will equate a psychiatric service dog with an emotional support or therapy dog and try to deny access. That's just not a battle I relish us having to fight on a regular basis.

No, I think you misunderstood what I am saying. Sue stated it well (and Sue, I don't mind you putting words in my mouth since you phrase things so well :goodvibes ). I do understand there are legitimate emotional support and therapy dogs, and they can be very helpful. But as has been stated repeatedly in this thread, emotional support and therapy dogs do not have all the same access rights as a fully-trained service animal. The dog I would get for my daughter would be a fully-trained service animal and would qualify for full-access rights. My concern is that people will equate a psychiatric service dog with an emotional support or therapy dog and try to deny access. That's just not a battle I relish us having to fight on a regular basis.

And, unfortunately, it's one you will have to fight as long as people can buy fake service vests for Fifi the Yap Dog so she doesn't have to stay home or cost money to take on a plane. I have a relative who "puppy raises" for a top reputable service dog organization, so I know what a REAL service dog looks like, acts like and what kind of training the dog goes through to be certified. My blood pressure goes up every time I see one of those fakers with their fake "service" dogs....er....pets.

And, unfortunately, it's one you will have to fight as long as people can buy fake service vests for Fifi the Yap Dog so she doesn't have to stay home or cost money to take on a plane. I have a relative who "puppy raises" for a top reputable service dog organization, so I know what a REAL service dog looks like, acts like and what kind of training the dog goes through to be certified. My blood pressure goes up every time I see one of those fakers with their fake "service" dogs....er....pets.
and, there are places that will ask every single time, just so they can't be accused of discrimination.

Every time we have been to Walmart, the greeter has asked:
Are you disabled?
Is this your service dog?

My daughter can't speak, so I answer for her. She is sitting in her wheelchair, with her very mellow, well behaved and handsome black British Lab beside her. He is wearing a bright red Service Dog vest.
I think it's pretty funny, because the answers to the questions are pretty obvious. It's probably the same deal as the places that ask to see proof of age for everyone buying alcohol.

The biggest issue I can see is that businesses need to be educated about their rights and then follow thru.
Even if the person says their dog is a Service Animal, the ADA allows businesses to deny access to the dog if it is not potty trained, is misbehaving, out of control or causing a disturbance and the owner does not take effective action to control it. If businesses actually followed thru on that, most of the misbehaving pretend 'service dogs' would be out the door.

I have heard of service dogs that are trained to alert their owner to environmental allergens that are dangerous to the person - i.e. not mild seasonal allergies that many/most people have, but people with allergies like chemical sensitivities that will shut down their breathing. I know someone who has a dog that does this which is a Yorkie (small dog). A small dog makes more sense as it can fit more easily in many places and is more comfortable in apartments.

I know of a person who carries their service dog trained in this manner in a pet carrier bag. That way the dog does not get tired walking all day, no problems with hot pavement, and it does not get stepped on.

I suppose it may be possible it can do something similar from a dog stroller.

That being said, it is a highly trained animal performing a specific task. It is not there to "calm them down by being snuggly." There ARE psychiatric support dogs that have specific tasks, but they are generally for people whose mental/emotional/psychiatric needs rise to the level of a disability, are highly trained, and have generally $20,000 worth of training. People who do not get their dog through a charity spend a fortune in fees or paying for their own training.... They are rarely pets who magically have developed an ability to help with a disability.

I have heard of service dogs that are trained to alert their owner to environmental allergens that are dangerous to the person - i.e. not mild seasonal allergies that many/most people have, but people with allergies like chemical sensitivities that will shut down their breathing. I know someone who has a dog that does this which is a Yorkie (small dog). A small dog makes more sense as it can fit more easily in many places and is more comfortable in apartments.

I know of a person who carries their service dog trained in this manner in a pet carrier bag. That way the dog does not get tired walking all day, no problems with hot pavement, and it does not get stepped on.

I suppose it may be possible it can do something similar from a dog stroller.

That being said, it is a highly trained animal performing a specific task. It is not there to "calm them down by being snuggly." There ARE psychiatric support dogs that have specific tasks, but they are generally for people whose mental/emotional/psychiatric needs rise to the level of a disability, are highly trained, and have generally $20,000 worth of training. People who do not get their dog through a charity spend a fortune in fees or paying for their own training.... They are rarely pets who magically have developed an ability to help with a disability.
I am not saying this can not be true I am just doughing a service dog can do much from inside something. I have a search and rescue dog and yes he can pick up a sent from fairly fair away he some times still dose not know where the debt is coming from. For some one with anaphylaxis allergens they would need to know where the allergens are at not that they are in the area. Again this is just what I know and yes some people do things differently but I would think most people that have a dog in a bag have a pet and at best a ESP

Very annoying
If anyone slaps the name on, then it's a fake. There are true cases of depression and PTSD to name a few where a mental health professional actually puts it in writing for their patient and these animals have paperwork backing them up. Landlords must accept them and so do Airlines. While they are not Service Animals and are not registered as them, they do fall into certain categories when they are legit, not just slapped a label
https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Last edited:
Got ya.

(copied from another forum)
It seems as if Disney just needs to manage problems of dogs and other animals a lot better. It might look like a big problem given the number of animals but it is really a lot simpler. No need to tail (no pun intended) each and every suspicious looking dog strolling through the park (or in a stroller). Just respond to disturbances. Use the same "SWAT team" approach where uniformed (or plainclothed) CMs come out of the woodwork and in a few minutes the suspected miscreant (human or otherwise) is no longer to be seen. Yes, I will suggest that for non-aggressive incidents such as an animal's having an accident, the owner (any owner, no difference whether s/he is disable hence no need to ask that) can offer to pay a convenience fee to have it cleaned up and then everyone quietly goes on his/her way.

I would think but am not sure that one of the topics that service animals need to be trained on is not getting fazed by the behavior of another animal, except to defend itself or its owner from an actual attack.

Last edited:
I think the main issue has nothing to do with the dogs but the unwillingness of stores to stand up to people anymore.

My DH works at target and people won't be told to leave unless they have actually tried to hurt someone or damaged the store. Acting erratic in a way that could hurt someone and they won't do anything and just advise people not to be near them.

Then there is also the fact that if they ask someone to leave and they just refuse there isn't anything they can do. target security and mall security can't do anything. All they could do is call the police which will take at least another 15 min to get there. How many more could they choose to hurt in that time? Including the one they are now mad at for confroting them. So most people won't do anything and just let them go on because why would the employee risk getting hurt?

Oh and even if they are asked to leave they can just come back and do it all again.

The fact is more people are realizing that honestly stores have very little they can actually DO to someone in the moment so if the person don't care (either because they don't care, they think they are allowed to do that, or because they are mentally ill and aren't in control) there is nothing that can stop them.

I was just in Walmart and there was a man with a small dog on a leash. The dog was climbing on the counters. Nothing was on the dog that distinguished it as a service dog except a little tag on the leash that you could not even read. He said it was a service dog! I think there should be a law that would require all service dogs and therapy dogs to have a vest on to distinguish it as a service/therapy dog and this vest should be only available from the state. Handicapped people have to pay for decals for their car. Think of all the money states can make by requiring everyone to get their vests from them and make them renewable every couple of years. Everyone is afraid to say anything anymore for fear of a law suit!

Last edited:
I was just in Walmart and there was a man with a small dog on a leash. The dog was climbing on the counters. Nothing was on the dog that distinguished it as a service dog except a little tag on the leash that you could not even read. He said it was a service dog! I think there should be a law that would require all service dogs and therapy dogs to have a vest on to distinguish it as a service/therapy dog and this vest should be only available from the state. Handicapped people have to pay for decals for their car. Think of all the money states can make by requiring everyone to get their vests from them and make them renewable every couple of years. Everyone is afraid to say anything anymore for fear of a law suit!

That goes against the Americans with Disabilities Act to require a vest. If the dog was climbing counters, store staff had authority to ask the dog be removed from the store. The law states that a dog that is not under control of the handler can told to be removed from the premises.

That goes against the Americans with Disabilities Act to require a vest.
I think that should be changed. People with disabilities have to have a decal in their car to park in special places. If you can't put a vest on an animal then require the person to carry a decal that shows they need this animal to accompany them. It does not have to point out the disability just like the decals don't point out the disability that are displayed in cars.

I think that should be changed. People with disabilities have to have a decal in their car to park in special places. If you can't put a vest on an animal then require the person to carry a decal that shows they need this animal to accompany them. It does not have to point out the disability just like the decals don't point out the disability that are displayed in cars.

The disability advocates and law makers that worked on the law disagree. If you think it should be changed, contact your representatives in Washington. The law was just reauthorized, so it would be a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter