family vacation to the Boston area. Update and last minute ?s on p. 3

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
I could use some help planning a family vacation to the Boston area. We will be there for 7 nights at the beginning of August. Our plan thus far is to spend a few nights in Boston and then rent a car to drive around the area. We like history, science, easy hikes, natural history, seafood (2 out of 4 of us at least), and the beach. DS6 wants to sail on a tall ship on Boston Harbor while DS10 wants to check out a lobster boat. DS10 loved a book called Going Lobstering when he was a toddler. I told DS10 that I didn't know if that was possible. They also really enjoy living history places and National Park Junior Ranger activities. Visiting theme parks isn't high on our list. DS10 and I aren't big fans of very crowded places and DS6 doesn't like thrill rides. I have a few questions.

1. Where should we stay in Boston? I want to stay somewhere unique that's in the center of town and kid friendly. When we went to San Francisco last summer one of the things our family liked most about the trip was staying at The Argonaut. They loved the nautical theme, the giant fireplace in the lobby and the front desk treasure chest. I don't mind splurging since we'll probably stay in more affordable places since the rest of the trip.

2. Where should we go during our mini road trip?

I haven't been in 10 years, so I will let others give you detailed advice. But I am not big on history or boats, and I loved the time spent in Boston. Just want to say you will have a great time.

Many years ago, I took my niece and nephew on a lobster boat tour. We left out of Rockport. I am not sure of the company we used. The kids loved it. We spent the rest of the day walking around Rockport. It is a beautiful town with some really quaint shops and restaurants.

Salem is an interesting place for its maritime history as well as the witch trials stuff. Also there is a place an hour or so drive south of Boston called Battleship Bay if your boys are into those kind of ships! For walks we liked walking through all the different parks - you can get from the Domain all the way out to the Arboretum through a series of parks called the emerald necklace I think.

We've always just stayed at Air BnBs so haven't got any accommodation options sorry.

Many good suggestions above which I won't repeat.

Stay at the Marriott Long-wharf or something else in that area. It's central and walkable to a lot of the tourist attractions downtown.

Walkable:
The Aquarium is right across the way and there are a bunch of boat tours that leave from there.

The Boston Museum of Science is wonderful. If you don't like crowds go early.

The North End (our Little Italy). L'Osteria is our family's favorite- make a reservation and try a half carafe of the house Pinot.

Historic Faneuil Hall. Ignore the outdoor mall and go to the old building and meet Ben Franklin for a tour.

A popular tourist thing to do is a Duck Boat tour. If you decide to do this check Groupon and shop around. There are several different vendors and you can get half price tickets.

The Freedom Trail is also a traditional Boston tourist activity.

The Charles river. Classic Boston scenery. Walk or rent bikes along the river. Pretty sunset views. You can also rent sailboats if you sail. Sometimes there are outdoor movies on the Esplanade.

Take the train:
Maybe not the type of history you have in mind but if you're sports fans, Fenway Park offers a really great tour.

Harvard Square/Harvard Yard - inspire the kiddies!

Drive:
If it's hot (and in August it will be) and you need a beach, head to Good Harbor in Gloucester. Be ready to pay through the nose for parking but this is, in IMO, one of the best New England beaches. Make sure you go at high tide and walk all the way to the end to experience the lazy river on one side and the ocean on the other.

...We like history, science, easy hikes, natural history, seafood (2 out of 4 of us at least), and the beach. DS6 wants to sail on a tall ship on Boston Harbor while DS10 wants to check out a lobster boat. DS10 loved a book called Going Lobstering when he was a toddler. I told DS10 that I didn't know if that was possible....

We did a pirate cruise out of Plymouth when DS was little, and they had the kids help haul in a lobster trap:

image.jpg

so I agree with Pea-n-Me that Plymouth is for you! It will work for history as well, as they have Plimoth Plantation and the Mayflower II.

For science, I do love the MOS, but there is also the MIT museum, which is smaller if you're looking to avoid crowds. I liked the old computers and DS liked the kinetic sculptures.

For easy hikes, we love Blue Hills! There are different levels of trails, and some animals, and it's very peaceful, with a neat view of the city in the distance.

I can't help with where to stay, since we live so close we never have stay over, but it sounds like sharona covered that above.

Have a great trip!

I second South Boston ..Castle Island, Sully's and the Kennedy Museums. The harbor walk along that section is gorgeous.
Sturbridge village is another good historical site
George's island is a short boat ride from Downtown Boston, and still has the old forts and a cannon (i think, it's been years)
Your children are a little older but they may still enjoy the Children's Museum.

My husband and I are going to Boston this June and I've done a lot of research already. Trip Advisor is your friend! Do not rent a car while in Boston. That is what I have read over and over. It's like San Francisco in that it's hard to get around the city and find places to park. The cost to park your car at the hotels is crazy! We plan to stay at the Lenox Hotel in Back Bay. It's very expensive by my standards but we are celebrating our 25th anniversary! Stay in Boston and not one of the neighboring cities. We plan on walking everywhere or taking the T. The Copley Square Marriott might be good for you and the kids. Definitely check into the Duck tours like a previous poster said. I've done one in Seattle and it was a lot of fun! Are you a member of Costco? I think you can get a discount on the Boston Go card and it includes a lot of attractions. My list of things to do also includes the Freedom Trail, Boston Public Garden(Make Way for Duckings) and Faneuil Hall. Have a great trip!

I live close to Boston and my girls are now 12 and 16. The Charlestown National Park Service visitor Center should have the junior ranger books and you can visit the USS Constitution Museum and maybe the USS Constitution (not sure if it is still in drydock. The Faneuil Hall NPS also has junior ranger books. Some smaller places that aren't usually crowded are the Old State House Museum and Old South Meeting House that both of my girls enjoyed at 6 and 10.

They might enjoy the Duckboat ride at the Boston Public Gardens and splashing around the Frogpond at the Boston Commons if it warm out and my kids always had fun playing at the Tadpole playground near the Frogpond. If you like pizza, we loved the pizza tour from bostonpizzatours.com which often has discounts on living social and/or groupon. I don't know yet if it will be offered this summer but we did a kids eye tour from Paul Revere's House (going inside) to the Old North Church (going inside church, crypt, and part of the bell tower) with a costumed guide but if interested contact the Paul Revere House this summer. My oldest loved the Prudential Center Skywalk and did the entire kids audio tour probably when she was 9.

If your looking for a fun family indoor activity look up Boda Borg. It is located in walking distance from the Malden Center train station on the orange line. It is hard to explain but it is an interactive place where you work together both physically and mentally to solve theme based problems depending on the room your in. http://bodaborg.com/what-is-boda-borg/ The kids would probably enjoy a night at John Carver Inn with its themed pool in Plymouth if you do the pirate cruise there which was a lot of fun. Saugus Ironworks is another NPR site the kids might like and I think they have junior park ranger books. You would need to drive there but it isn't that far from Boston.

I live about 15 min outside of Boston and my husband grew up in Southie (South Boston) so we never stay over in the city. I think you've got some great suggestions for activities and hotels in the city.

I agree that the beaches on the north shore in Gloucester are gorgeous and well worth the drive and cost of parking. Cape Cod (aka The Cape) is another option for beautiful beaches, seafood, boat tours, etc. Gloucester and Cape Cod beaches are significantly more clean and beautiful than the beaches in South Boston.

Salem and Plymouth are also fun to explore and historical. They are in complete opposite directions from Boston.

So, you might be choosing if you want to do a north shore road trip that includes Salem, Rockport, and Gloucester areas... Or a South shore road trip that can include Plymouth and Cape Cod.

I could use some help planning a family vacation to the Boston area. We will be there for 7 nights at the beginning of August. Our plan thus far is to spend a few nights in Boston and then rent a car to drive around the area. We like history, science, easy hikes, natural history, seafood (2 out of 4 of us at least), and the beach. DS6 wants to sail on a tall ship on Boston Harbor while DS10 wants to check out a lobster boat. DS10 loved a book called Going Lobstering when he was a toddler. I told DS10 that I didn't know if that was possible. They also really enjoy living history places and National Park Junior Ranger activities. Visiting theme parks isn't high on our list. DS10 and I aren't big fans of very crowded places and DS6 doesn't like thrill rides. I have a few questions.

1. Where should we stay in Boston? I want to stay somewhere unique that's in the center of town and kid friendly. When we went to San Francisco last summer one of the things our family liked most about the trip was staying at The Argonaut. They loved the nautical theme, the giant fireplace in the lobby and the front desk treasure chest. I don't mind splurging since we'll probably stay in more affordable places since the rest of the trip.

2. Where should we go during our mini road trip?

I want to do this too. Sounds like a blast.

We did a driving vacation from Michigan to the East Coast last summer without any agenda or reservations. It was a 180 turn from our meticulously planned WDW vacations. I made hotel reservations each day while travelung through hotels.com. We enjoyed Boston so much we extended our time there. We found the trolley tour very reasonable and just got on and off whenever we wanted to do some exploring on foot. We got the 2 day trolley pass and it worked out great for us. We went on a whale watch through the aquarium and we saw so many whales up close and personal! I can't recommend that enough if you enjoy whales. We also went to Salem, but I consider that a once and done. But Boston? Oh we are so ready to take a return trip!

http://www.bostonlobstertours.com/about.html

When I was a teen, I was a sternman (stern girl?) part time on a lobster boat during the summers, so this is not something I'd ever do for fun :o:sail:, but this looks like it could be JUST what you're looking for.....

There are only 2 reviews on Tripadvisor, but they are both very positive.

You cannot find a bad meal in the North End if you tried! Our favorites are Mother Anna's, Trattoria il Panino and La Famiglia. Dessert is always from Caffe Vittoria. (just as good, without the massive lines you'll find at Mike's or Modern Pastry).

The New England Aquarium does a GREAT Whale Watch.

Thanks for everyone's advice thus far. I've been busy with other things such as summer camps and trying to sell our house but I need to get back to planning. I've written down y'alls suggestions and are checking them out. I booked the Liberty Hotel in Boston for 3 nights (they offered the 3rd night free) because the kids were excited about staying in a former jail.

After our stay in Boston we're going to leave town. I want to go to Old Sturbridge Village since we all like living history places. I was wondering how much time I should allot for our visit and whether it's worth going. How crowded is it during the summer? We also wish to visit at least one national park so the kids can get a Junior Ranger badge. Does anyone know of one that has a good Junior Ranger program within a few hours of Sturbridge or Boston? The final thing we want to do is spend a few days in a town a few miles from Boston. Any suggestions? We're not interested in visiting an amusement park and I'm mildly claustrophobic so any place where the people are cheek to jowl are not for me. There's a reason why we don't go to WDW during the summer or during holidays. :)

Yes, Old Sturbridge Village is nice. I'd say give the better part of a day to visit. It can get crowded but plan it like you do Disney.

I think you'll really like the Liberty Hotel, and that sounds like a good deal. Let us know!

I am still partial to Plymouth.

I am less familiar wit National Parks but here is a list for MA. Note the Mayflower, I believe, is in dry dock until next year.

https://www.nps.gov/state/ma/index.htm

We went to the Boston area last summer for 2 days (sort of) and I think the summer before for a day or two.

Day one we drove to Gloucester to catch a whale watching tour. We did the later tour and got a bit more time on the boat-we got back close to 6, instead of the 4/5pm it said we'd be back. But we took the boat pretty much all the way to Provincetown. Thankful for Dramamine but I should of given my oldest more since she fed the fish off the back of the boat. I'd go again, it was amazing!! My son will go but my dh and 2 dd's won't go again.

We did Salem one morning. It wasn't what we expected but we saw it. I know many who love it, it just wasn't for us.

We did the Boston Aquarium, I think last year. It was OK. I went as a kid a few times and thought it was massive but walking thru it 30-35 years later it did not seem that big so it was disappointing...to me. We did one of the Imax movies and my oldest picked the seas. My dh fell asleep and I nearly did quite a few times. It was so relaxing!

I wanted to do a Duck boat tour but we never made it that far.

I don't think I have ever been to Plymouth but it is on a must do some day.

I just went to Sturbridge Village 2 weeks ago for a school trip. I do enjoy stuff like that and we got to see some stuff being done but missed other things.

There is seafood everywhere. Go to Maine! It is close enough and well who doesn't love a Maine lobster! Unless you are eating a hot buttered lobster roll from CT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter