family vacation to the Boston area. Update and last minute ?s on p. 3

OK, I have to ask: Where is everyone from? I grew up in Peabody (lived there for 28 years) and also lived in Salem for 2 years. I now live outside of Bangor, ME.

I would say do Sturbridge Village and Salem. In Salem, I'd do the Peabody Essex Museum, the Witch Museum (the one in Washington Square), maybe the Witch House (Jonathan Corwin house), and head for Derby Street. You can tour the House of the Seven Gables and check out the Salem Maritime National Historic Site (https://www.nps.gov/sama/planyourvisit/things2do.htm), which has a junior ranger program. Here's a link to stuff to do in Salem: http://salem.org/about

There are no more tollbooths on the Mass Pike; you just go under a huge metallic arch-like thing that takes a picture of your car and the Commonwealth sends a bill. If you are renting a car, I believe they send the bill to the rental company and then the company charges you. In April I picked up my daughter at Logan Airport and drove her home to Hartford, CT, going right by Old Sturbridge Village. I believe the Commonwealth charged me somewhere in the vicinity of $11 in tolls, but that included tolls for the Ted Williams Tunnel IN Boston because I was coming from the airport. Mass. DOT has an online calculator to help you figure out the tolls on your routes (https://www.ezdrivema.com/TollCalculator)

Would the Witch Museum be appropriate for a 6 year old who finds some scenes in Zootopia to be too scary?

OK, I have to ask: Where is everyone from? I grew up in Peabody (lived there for 28 years) and also lived in Salem for 2 years. I now live outside of Bangor, ME.

There are no more tollbooths on the Mass Pike; you just go under a huge metallic arch-like thing that takes a picture of your car and the Commonwealth sends a bill. If you are renting a car, I believe they send the bill to the rental company and then the company charges you. In April I picked up my daughter at Logan Airport and drove her home to Hartford, CT, going right by Old Sturbridge Village. I believe the Commonwealth charged me somewhere in the vicinity of $11 in tolls, but that included tolls for the Ted Williams Tunnel IN Boston because I was coming from the airport. Mass. DOT has an online calculator to help you figure out the tolls on your routes (https://www.ezdrivema.com/TollCalculator)

I stand corrected. I never check my EZ Pass statement and didn't realize the cashless system was up and running on the Mass Pike. I just looked and I did get charged the sixty cents at Charlton.

BTW originally from CT and now in Kennebunk Maine.

OK, I have to ask: Where is everyone from? I grew up in Peabody
Peabody? Seriously? No way! I'm from Peabody!! Hey, do you know about the "You know you're from Peabody..." Facebook page?

So, okay, I'm a little biased toward anything on the North Shore.

disclaimer: never met this poster, but we did already know we're from the same city :)

If you are on the north shore another very pretty beach is Cranes Beach in Ipswich. When my kids were younger we also visited Wolf Hollow in Ipswich and really enjoyed it. Something unique especially if your children enjoy learning about animals.

I have lived both north and south of Boston and find each has a totally different vibe to it. I like both very much and there is plenty to do but you really want to group your activities to avoid wasting too much time in the car.

Around the Old Sturbridge Village area there are several park and recreational areas. It is also not that far from the CT border and there is a large state park that crosses over into or close to MA. (Bigelow, Wells, Westville Rec Area) so if you visit Sturbridge and want to swim, bike or picnic there are options nearby.

One other option if you go out to OSV is the Ecotarium in Worcester since you will be taking the MA Pike out to Sturbridge. It is a museum focused on Science and Nature and your children sound like a great age for it. I have never been but it gets very good reviews. I am not sure though how far off of the highway it is located.

Enjoy your visit!

Would the Witch Museum be appropriate for a 6 year old who finds some scenes in Zootopia to be too scary?

Probably. My daughter was 10 and clutched my body and was in top of me. She did watch it and I offered to take her out and she refused.

It's dark in there and each of the scenes lights up. Then they walk you thru another area and talk and send you to the gift shop.

crjack...

What's different about north and south of Boston?

monorailsilver...
How prevalent is the witch imagery if you're walking around the touristy area of Salem?

My dh was looking at a map and noticed that Plymouth is on the way to Cape Cod so he suggested we drive to Plymouth for the day and then stay in Cape Cod for a few nights. What do y'all think? Also, what part of Cape Cod would you recommend?

Nothing that you would really notice but beaches can vary a little based on their location, how congested they can be, housing around them, rocks or dunes, etc. One thing you may find no matter which beach you visit is the water can be cold!

Logistically when planning your itinerary for a day keep all of your destinations north of the city, south or west to minimize the impact of traffic on your plans. As for beaches there are plenty north and south so no worries there about finding options.

My dh was looking at a map and noticed that Plymouth is on the way to Cape Cod so he suggested we drive to Plymouth for the day and then stay in Cape Cod for a few nights. What do y'all think? Also, what part of Cape Cod would you recommend?
You may want to look at this recent thread: Cape Cod/Falmouth Area Trip?

I agree with the sentiment at Cape Cod is good for a beach vacation, not so much a tourist attraction vacation, though there is some history there. Omitted from the discussion is Provincetown, at the very end of the cape. P'town is an entire discussion by itself.

Cape Cod is beautiful, and there's nothing like a Cape Cod vacation, especially if you go all the way down to Truro and Wellfleet where the National Seashore beaches are. Plimouth Plantation is similar to Sturbridge Village - how much living history does your family wants to see in one trip?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I thought I'd update everyone with what we decided. Ya'lls input was invaluable. We're going to spend 3 nights in Boston and then go for one night to Sturbridge to attend the Redcoats and Rebels reenactment. After that we're going to Cape Cod for three nights. While there we're going on a lobster boat with a commercial fisherman who takes out tourists for extra money.

We're leaving the middle of next week and I have some last minute questions for y'all.

1. How warm/cold should I expect it to be? The Weather Channel website is saying that highs in Boston will be in the mid 80s/high 70s and the lows will be in the mid 60s but I know that a sticky and humid 80s feels very different than a breezy 85. They're expecting it to be slightly cooler in Cape Cod.

2. How should we dress for the lobster boat?

3. Has anyone been at Old Sturbridge Village for the Redcoats and Rebels reenactment? Based on what the website said it sounds like it will be huge but I didn't see any info on the website about important info like parking, etc. Can anyone give some insight on what I'm in for?

4. Final question so far. We're landing in the afternoon around 4 pm so we won't have much time to do any sightseeing but I'd like for us to get dinner and wander around Boston so the kids and my husband can get a feel for the city. None of them have ever been there. Do y'all any restaurant suggestions? Do we need reservations at the restaurants in Boston? We're staying at the Liberty Hotel.

5. How far in advance do we need to get to Logan for our return flight? We will be turning in a rental car and checking bags.

6. ANy other last minute advice?

THanks for all of the advice. Ya'll are truly better than any last travel agent I could hire.

You're going to have such a great trip! Boston & the cape & Massachusetts are the best (maybe I'm biased).

1. How warm/cold should I expect it to be? The Weather Channel website is saying that highs in Boston will be in the mid 80s/high 70s and the lows will be in the mid 60s but I know that a sticky and humid 80s feels very different than a breezy 85. They're expecting it to be slightly cooler in Cape Cod.
Expect anything. Last week it was 90 and I was in shorts every day - the type of weather where you walk outside and IMMEDIATELY are covered in sweat. Today I'm wearing a sweatshirt because it's overcast and rainy and cool. Bring and wear layers - everything from tanks and shorts to long pants/sleeves/sweatshirts.

2. How should we dress for the lobster boat?
I haven't been on a lobster boat, but I've been whale watching and my suggestion is (again) layers. We'll leave from Gloucester where I'm comfortable shorts and a t-shirt, but out on the water it can get windy and you might want a sweatshirt to keep warm.

4. Final question so far. We're landing in the afternoon around 4 pm so we won't have much time to do any sightseeing but I'd like for us to get dinner and wander around Boston so the kids and my husband can get a feel for the city. None of them have ever been there. Do y'all any restaurant suggestions? Do we need reservations at the restaurants in Boston? We're staying at the Liberty Hotel.
You could find something in the North End. Maybe try Pizzeria Regina? The restaurant is over by the North End, but you can get their pizza in Faneuil Hall, too.

5. How far in advance do we need to get to Logan for our return flight? We will be turning in a rental car and checking bags.
When I fly within the US, I get to the airport about an hour to an hour and a half in advance. International I'm always there 2 hours, sometimes 2.5 before. I figure give yourself extra time to return the rental & check bags. Time of the day might mean you need a shorter or longer wait.

Have fun!! Hope this helps.

I second layers!! Our weather has been all over the place lately.

I don't really know Sturbridge Village. (It's actually on my list of "local" places to get to.)

If your not already planning some time at Faneuil Hall during your days here, definitely hit that for your arrival evening! You can find anything you want to eat, and there are often really good street performers.

I think I'd shoot for two hours before your flight, especially with a car return. I'd always rather be early than rushing!

Also, did anyone tell you to check out the "Free Fun Friday's" website? Since it sounds like you will be here over a Friday, it's worth a glance - either to include things because they're free, or to avoid them because they're crowded.

I've been to OSV for the reenactment. I got there in the morning, but not insanely early, and had to park on he grass closer to the entrances drive than to the entrance gate building. I'm not sure where I would have parked if I'd gotten there 15 minutes later. I'm sure there would have been spaces somewhere, but it could be a hike. I suggest trying to arrive no later than 10.

I didn't appreciate how crowded it would be for the major reenactment out by the farm fields, and got there's just as it started, which was too late to get a good spot. I was by myself, and relied on my New York City skills to get somewhat closer, but eventually gave up. If you want to see it, I suggest getting there 15-30 minutes before the scheduled start, perhaps hanging around the farm or other nearby exhibits until you see the crowd on the field growing.

On the flip side, the regular exhibits weren't particularly overcrowded. The reenactors filled up the village green with tents, all willing to chat and many with things to show. So between having much more stuff to do, and many of the people there either as reenactors or to see them, the regular stuff was fine. Do allow time to eat, as the cafeteria and the grill across from it will be busy during prime lunch hours. I went during off hours (maybe 2pm) and didn't have much wait.

I went to the reenactment using my "second day within 10 days free" pass, so I was more laid back about things. If it had been my first trip, I may have felt otherwise. But don't think of it as a "see everything" park. The schedule of events won't allow you to see all the events and all the static exhibits. Do take the time to chat with the docents.

If you have any interest in theatre, The Boston Opera House is a stunning setting to take in a musical! Finding Neverland opens there August 8

From Liberty Hotel you can walk to the North End for dinner. We like L'Osteria or La Famiglia Giorgio but there are many others to choose from. On a Friday night in summer I would make a reservation. Why spend an hour waiting for a table when you can be seated quickly with a reservation. Neither of these places is fancy but both give you a nice meal. Dessert afterward at Modern Bakery or, if you want the full tourist experience, get in line at Mike's Pastry for a cannoli. Don't be put off by the line it moves quickly. Be aware that just about every weekend in August there is a feast (Italian street festival) in the North End. It's fun but can be very crowded and make it difficult to get around and to get a table without a reservation. http://www.northendboston.com/visit/feasts/

If you don't want Italian then maybe Legal Seafood or, for some history, the oldest restaurant in Boston - the Union Oyster House http://www.unionoysterhouse.com/

If you opt for Pizza Regina, go to the original location in the North End not the tourist trap one in Faneuil Hall - completely different atmosphere.

The street performers in Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area are always entertaining: magicians, acrobats, jugglers - they are usually in between the old Faneuil and the new building with the food court - your kids will love it. If you don't want a big sit down meal after a day of traveling, then there are plenty of options in the food court. Prime Express home made Thanksgiving style turkey sandwich has been my stand by for more years than I care to admit to!

Have a great time! Come back and tell us how it was. Bring warm clothes for the Cape it can get cool at night or if it's not sunny.

I would say do Sturbridge Village and Salem. In Salem, I'd do the Peabody Essex Museum, the Witch Museum (the one in Washington Square), maybe the Witch House (Jonathan Corwin house), and head for Derby Street. You can tour the House of the Seven Gables and check out the Salem Maritime National Historic Site (https://www.nps.gov/sama/planyourvisit/things2do.htm), which has a junior ranger program. Here's a link to stuff to do in Salem: http://salem.org/about

Love Maine! I grew up in Somerville and Cambridge and now live in Melrose.

Thanks y'all. Unfortunately we won't probably won't be able to get there when the village opens because we have to check out of the hotel and get the rental car. My dh isn't a morning person which doesn't help either. :rolleyes2

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. My dh is convinced that we don't need any cooler weather clothes. Maybe y'alls posts will convince him.

He's also trying to convince me that's it's doable to take the subway from Logan to the hotel during rush hour (we land at 4:15 pm and will check at least one bag) along with the luggage and kids. According to the map he looked at there's a stop across the street from the hotel. I think that's crazy talk. I still remember when my parents lost my older sister on the Paris subway when I was a kid. I've ridden subways all other the world and have wrangled a preschooler and stroller on one that had a broken escalator and tons of stairs. The thought of both kids plus luggage plus rush hour sounds like a recipe for disaster though. How bats#*&t crazy is his plan? What would you recommend?

Not really crazy, but while it's been a few years since I rode the T (subway, short for MBTA) I'm relatively comfortable.

You take the Silver Line from outside your terminal to South Station, then the Red Line subway three stops toward Alewife. Exit at Charles Street.

Lyft and Über estimates are $16.77 on RideGuru, but that doesn't account for traffic delays or potential increased fares due to popularity.

Even if you are not prone to seasickness, bring Dramamine or bonine. I agree with the others, wear layers cause it will be chilly on the ocean. We did a whale watching trip in Maine many summers ago and it was chilly and I got sick. I rarely get motion sick but that did me in.
Have fun! Don't forget to order some New England clam chowder and lobster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!