Fantasmic Buffet--Am I missing something?

TimeforMe

<marquee><font color=royalblue>Remember who you ar
To me, paying $53 per person for a dessert buffet seems outrageous. That would be $212 for our family of 4 for dessert! :rolleyes: I know you get reserved seating with this, but isn't this a little over the top just for dessert? Am I missing something? :confused3

You're paying for the luxury of not having to wait a long time to see the show.

Of course, there are things you can do to mitigate the waiting time and still enjoy the show -- stay over by Haunted Mansion, and after the first show is over, go find a place to sit/stand for the second show....

We decided to do this on our visit in August only because my mother and mother-in-law will be with us and there is no way they can sit on the ground.

I did this last August, but we sat in the premium viewing spot, even though I've seen the show countless # of times, because we had guests & I didn't want to waste the time sitting for the show, when we could be enjoying the parks. It was worth it to me at the time.

Is it really worth it? not really- The view is pretty good and the desserts are fair but the convience of it cant be beat, and it comes down to what matters most? A good seat that you dont have to wait or the $$$.

-em

You are definitely paying for the seating, not the desert. Think of it as paying for a seat at a concert, play, etc... with the desert as a nice perk.

We did it 3 years ago it was really worth it. We sat in the front row, the view was terrific. We still talk about it. It was something I had wanted to do for years and was never able to get reservations. My sisters surprised me with this for my birthday. It was the best present ever. This year I'm taking them for their birthdays.

Our family of 4 had reservations last year at Easter time for my DD's birthday. The look and smiles on my wife and kids was enough to make me feel it was worth it. The dessert is not a "cake and cookies" dessert. The desserts were varied and elegant, and I remember cheese and fruit as well. The CM's wait on you and make you feel very special. The view is spectacular, you are the envy of the crowds looking up at you jostling for a position, and after Fantasmic you have a prime seat for the fireworks.

Of course, it is not something you would do every day, but every once in a while it feels good to treat yourself and your family.

We've decided to do the buffet since this trip will probably be the only time we ever get to go to DL as a family.
The only 2 nights that Fantasmic is "on" during our trip are Saturday, June 25 and Monday, June 27.
My plan is to try first for Saturday, then if we don't get it, try again for Monday.
We are a family of 5, but "classify" as 3 adults/2 children, so I'm torn between Balcony and Riverside seating.
Since it's only a $20 difference, I'm not sure which would work better for us.
We'd like the 9 PM show to stay for the fireworks afterwards.
Can you see them from the balcony clearly or only from the Riverside?
Also, I heard the experience on the Riverside is "better" - You feel like you're actually part of the show being so much closer.
Which would you recommend? We have DS10, DS7, and DD4, all who enjoy Fantasmic at MGM.
I appreciate your input - Especially when you're asked these questions OVER and OVER!
Also, is the 30 day reservation actually 30 days (I know - silly question!) or is it a month in advance?
We have a toll-free # to use in FL for WDW, but since there isn't one for DL Dining, I want to make sure I call the right day!
Thanks again ... More questions in the works ... Less than 2 months to go!

I wouldn't spend the money on it, but that's because I am way too cheap. However, if I were to spend the money, I would vote for riverside. We have been on right on the water in the past and loved the experience. I wouldn't trade being able to feel the warmth of the fire for anything!

degrapevine said:
Also, is the 30 day reservation actually 30 days (I know - silly question!) or is it a month in advance?
We have a toll-free # to use in FL for WDW, but since there isn't one for DL Dining, I want to make sure I call the right day!
Thanks again ... More questions in the works ... Less than 2 months to go!
I am not sure about the 30 days, but that is not a silly question. It is important that you know whether to call on May 26 or May 25. Fantasmic reservations are not made through the regular Disney Dining number; you need to call 714-781-4400 and be prepared to give them your credit card number.

Thanks for the advice - I figured Riverside would let us feel more "in" the show than the Balcony.
We usually sit up close at MGM and I like the heat/splash zone there!
I'll call when it gets a little closer to ask about the 30 days out reservation.
I'm just not sure which date would be the correct one to call.
I'm sure I'll have some other questions to ask of DL Dining, too.
Spending $245 on the buffet is a little difficult to take, but since I know it's probably the only time we'll do it,
I can budget the extra cost ... We'll just eat in our room (full kitchen) a few nights.
I'm so looking forward to this trip!
My planning is seriously in overdrive!

TimeforMe-

Isn't the whole Disney experience potentially over the top? Let's say you make a budget for yourself. You could choose to go for 2 nights at the Disneyland Hotel paying $300 a night and then choose to eat mostly fast food meals and not buy suvenirs.

You could chose to stay at the Park Vue Inn for 5 nights at $60 per night and then eat out at a couple of nice restaurants and maybe buy a couple of things.

You could choose to stay at the Carousel Inn for 3 nights at $90 per night and eat out at different kinds of places.

I love that Disney provides experiences for everyone regardless of what the want to spend. The above scenerios would reflect someone who puts their emphasis on either where they stay, enjoying the grounds, etc or whether they enjoy their meals.

I totally agree that $53 for a buffet is expensive. But on vacation as in all things, time is money. If you can afford to come to the parks for two days you want to make it a full experience and if you can "save" yourself 2-3 hours of wait time for an attraction that means a lot to you, then it's worth the splurge.

I would love to have the chance to do this. To eat delectable desserts from a prime seating spot and just enjoy myself but that's me. I am a family of two so I'm not as worried about paying for four people so maybe this is an experience more appealing to me.

I love degrapevine's response when she said that her family would plan on eating a meal in the room to pay for this experience. That means they are willing to "cut back" in one area to "splurge" in another. It just doesn't sound like this is an area that would be worth it to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter