Fantasmic - Is it worth staying for if it means tired, cranky kids?

Fantasmic is a WOW show IMO... really fun but its a long show that definitely takes its toll on the little ones. Not one we see every visit but if we can squeeze it in, we certainly do. If it were my only chance to see it this trip and there were no trips on the horizon... i would try to squeeze it in... +

Like you, my kids never had meltdowns.. they get tired, they took naps in the stroller... I never planned around them being tired or getting to bed early for a early morning... we typically stayed till park closure on most every night and hit rope drop every morning.. we burned 'em out and they slept when they were tired. I don't think we ever left the parks when the twins were under 6 or 7 when both were not already fast asleep...

I've never seen it because I never wanted to deal with tired, cranky kids. Mine can usually only handle one late night so we do that at mk.

Fantasmic is good, but there is never anything that is worth having tired, cranky kids for- It will just make you and anyone else around you miserable. It sounds like your kids are pretty good, but your are right in planning ahead for the next day and make sure they are well rested for your big MK day. Try to get an earlier Sci-Fi reservation - even if it meals going there for lunch and getting QS meal for dinner or planning dinner back at your off site location. HS really isn't a full day park so if you are getting there for park opening then by 4 or so you might have finished all that you want to do.

Three trips since 2014 and we still haven't made it to Fantasmic. The kids are young and just exhausted by that point. We even did the Fantasmic dining package on our last two trips and still decided to skip the show because we didn't want to deal with tired kids and crowds that late (summer so shows are later). We also discovered that our almost 3 year old was scared on the fireworks at mk and Epcot so Fantasmic probably would have scare him anyway.

Our first day is HS, we have a Sci Fi res for 6:20 which I am trying to change so we can make it to Fantasmic however our initial plan was to have dinner then get out of the park to get kids home to bed at a decent time since our biggest day is MK the following day and we want to be there at around 7:00 AM which means EARLY wake time for the kiddos. We are also staying off-site so that adds another 30, 45 minutes before they are home and in bed. They are 6 and 7, so not toddlers - they don't have meltdowns ever (never have) although I am wondering if staying for Fantasmic is pushing their limits.

So my question is, is Fantasmic SO GREAT that it's worth risking tired, cranky kids the next day? Or would you skip it?
No. I would not stay for it with happy kids. Not worth it at all.

:wizard:

I have never seen it for the same reasons. We are rope drop people and my kids got tired after a couple days so we tried to end park days early. Believe me, nobody will ever know they missed anything because everything else is so fantastic!!!!

IMO it’s barely worth it with happy, wide awake children ...

But Star Wars fireworks (if running) are worth it!

My kids do sleep deprived well on vacation. We rope drop rope drop daily and stay til they kick us out. But if yours do not, yeah, I’d skip F!

No
Not fair to your kids. Not fair to you. Most importantly not fair to those who would sit near you either.

My family hates it! We saw it once in 2015 and had a horrible experience. We did the dining package, got there early, and still had a really rude family try to puke in on top of us. Not worth it at all! Get your kids rested up for Magic Kingdom.

Only you know your kids best, but nothing is enjoyable with tired, cranky kids. Either yours or anybody else's! ;)

We always stay for the nighttime shows and touring bc in my opinion, that’s the best time to be in the parks. My boys are little (will be 4 & 6 this trip) but they hang fine. However, we always do a midday break. It’s a lot easier for us bc we stay on property and have our car, so we do rope drop-midday break-nighttime shows/Touring. If you think you could do that, I’d suggest seeing Fantasmic as it’s one of our family faves. However if you can’t do a break, then just save it for another trip.

I know many people like Fantasmic, but after seeing it, my family and I did not like it.

IMHO, I would skip Fantasmic and head home.

Honestly, I would plan to go. It's the beginning of your first trip. You know your kids, how cranky are they going to be? How much do you want to see the show? Ask them if they want to stay and see it. Play it by ear and see how things are going once you're there. Be flexible and follow your kids' lead. You have two days at MK. I was a commando park goer the first few times we went though and probably more excited than my kids.

Our first day is HS, we have a Sci Fi res for 6:20 which I am trying to change so we can make it to Fantasmic however our initial plan was to have dinner then get out of the park to get kids home to bed at a decent time since our biggest day is MK the following day and we want to be there at around 7:00 AM which means EARLY wake time for the kiddos. We are also staying off-site so that adds another 30, 45 minutes before they are home and in bed. They are 6 and 7, so not toddlers - they don't have meltdowns ever (never have) although I am wondering if staying for Fantasmic is pushing their limits.

So my question is, is Fantasmic SO GREAT that it's worth risking tired, cranky kids the next day? Or would you skip it?
Nope. You still have the rest of your vacation to get through. We skipped it. The best kf kids can get over stimulated and over tired very quickly

Every kid I’ve gone to Fantasmic with has loved it—especially the ending with the character show boats and Mickey’s last part.

I would tell you that if your kids enjoy the characters, it is worth seeing.

We think it's great but maybe just decide on the day based on how your kids are feeling

Fantasmic is my daughter's (7) favorite show so we always do it during our trip. Even so, I would not do it the night before I needed to be a MK the next day. I think in your situation, I wouldn't.

Don't have a late night and then an early morning. You will get mad at your kids because they are cranky.

I am in the minority here - but - nothing will stand in my way when I want to see Fantasmic!
Every trip MUST include Fantasmic, or the trip is not complete. Tired kids, tired in-laws, tired husband, tired me - will see Fantasmic!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!