Fantasy trip report- 2/23/19 sailing

GoBlue99

Earning My Ears
Hey all, thanks for all the good advice and info this board has offered. Here is my trip report for the Fantasy sailing to eastern Caribbean from 2/23-3/2.

BACKGROUND: This cruise was a birthday cruise for my older daughter who is turning 5. We also have a 20 month old girl. We thought about doing the theme parks, but figured that is more stressful and we’d wait until the girls are older. So we decided on DCL. Also joining us were my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and their 7 yr old daughter.

Technically, I’ve done DCL once before, on the Wonder. But that was a free cruise due to my friend working as a doctor on the ship (I crashed with him). So this was my first true DCL sailing with a family.

CABIN: We stayed in 6138 (Deluxe oceanview with verandah), and in-laws had the connecting room. I was very impressed with the room. It didn’t feel cramped in there, even with the crib and diaper genie. We really loved having the two bathrooms and two sinks. And there was plenty of storage space for everything. I really liked that our large suitcases and even our car seat fit under the bed. The cabin location was great, and it was easy to get around everywhere. There was no vibration noise and not much foot traffic outside our room. Having the connecting room was awesome as the kids could go back and forth easily.

ENTERTAINMENT: Since our 1 year old goes to bed early, one of us typically stayed in the room after dinner while the rest of the group went out. Out of the shows that I watched, I really liked the juggler and Wishes show, and the Knight magicians were great also. I didn’t care for the rePercussion show at all. We had a great time at the various music trivia contests, and actually won the 90’s one. For kid’s stuff, my older kid really loved all the character meetings.

DINING: Overall I was quite happy with the food. The breakfast buffets were excellent- Mickey waffles, pancakes, made to order eggs, biscuits & gravy, fresh fruit, etc were all great. My kid loved the selection of Krispy Kreme donuts. My only complaint about breakfast is that it was very hard to find crispy bacon. We did one sit-down character breakfast and that was good, but we preferred the buffet options.

Lunch buffets were also great. I liked the selection of pastas, rice dishes, vegetables, etc. The desserts were solid also (really enjoyed the Oreo cheesecake). The breads were tasty, especially the focaccia (overall, the various breads on the ship were so good!).

Sit-down dinners were hit and miss. As others have mentioned, expect convention center banquet hall quality. We typically liked the appetizers and salads. But some of the entrees were not good at all. I can remember a few that I stopped eating after a few bites (chicken schnitzel, sesame tofu, seafood pasta). I did tend to like the filled pasta options (especially mushroom ones). Some of the sides were great, such as the delicious white asparagus. Food temperature was an issue, as many of the entrees were served lukewarm. I never really left dinner feeling stuffed. On the bright side, our servers David and Marko were awesome. We made sure to tip them extra. The other saving grace was that the dinner desserts were overall really good (especially the crème brulee cheesecake and the various sundaes). And the Mickey ice cream bars live up to the hype- they have a terrific dark chocolate shell.

We did Palo brunch also. That was a great mix of salads, bread, cheese, seafood, pasta, and desserts. I thought the chicken parm wasn’t as good as people here raved about. But we did have the chef make an off-menu calzone that was so good, and probably the best calzone I’ve ever had. The almond croissant and blue cheese walnut bread were great. For desserts, I loved the tiramisu and cannoli the most. Was it worth $40 + tip per person? I felt it was for me, because I liked having the variety of food. But for someone looking to save money, you’d be fine skipping it.

In terms of other food options, we were happy. The late night french fries at Flo’s Café were awesome. The gelato at the ice cream shop was also great, and priced reasonably. Loved the cheesy tater toys with fresh jalapenos at the Irish pub. And Cove Café made great lattes (with really fun latte art). I’m glad they offered a buy 5, get 1 free latte punch card.

My one suggestion for the food is to provide more ethnic options. The vast majority of the food options were American and Italian. During the entire week, I only recall seeing one Chinese dish (basic fried rice) and a couple of Indian dishes. I know many people don’t like ethnic food or spice, but I was really surprised by the lack of Mexican (tex-mex) options. I’d consider tex-mex food to very mainstream these days, and even kids love it. But in general, I was happy with the food, and gained 5 lbs!

SPA: We purchased the Rainforest room deal for the week. It was very relaxing to visit the various rooms and showers. We even took showers here a few days because the showers were so spacious. The spa uses Elemis toiletries, which I didn’t like as much as the DCL ones.

SHIP: The Fantasy felt sizable, but never overwhelming. We found it very easy and fast to get around the ship (especially without kids in tow). Elevators moved quickly. We found everything to be very clean also. My one issue is that the pools were tiny and therefore super-crowded.

PORTS: We couldn’t do much in terms of excursions due to the 1 year old. At Tortola, there wasn’t much to do for us, so we just walked around the square a bit. In St Thomas, we did the scenic tram, which was a great photo op. And we did bicycling at Castaway, which was a lot of fun. We spent the rest of the day at the beach there. The clear blue water was awesome (though slightly chilly).

A few random musings:

- I wish we had purchased the full photo USB package in advance, in order to save money. One trick, if you are traveling with another family, is to put all of the pictures on one stateroom. Then you can just order that room and split the cost.

- I love people-watching, and a cruise is a great place to do that. Obviously it was a ton of families, and the kids tended to be older (didn’t see many babies). In terms of demographics, I didn’t see many other minorities- I would say the crowd was 90% white. And based on people’s team/school shirts, there were a ton of guests from New England and the Midwest. The personal finance nerd in me was also curious about finances- I wondered if guests were people that scrimped and saved for years to go on a Disney cruise, or were they one-percenters who treated a Disney cruise like it’s just any ho-hum vacation.

- We stayed the night before at an Orlando airport hotel, and Uber’d it to the Port. We got sticker shock from that ($175 for an Uber XL with car seat). One important item to note- you can order an Uber with car seat going to the Port, but you cannot get one with a car seat leaving the Port. Our driver said it was something to do with the town’s regulations. The driver said he had to reject 2 families that morning because they didn’t have a car seat with them. I’m sure those families were panicking and scrambling to find alternate transportation.

- I really loved that the ship was mostly families. It’s great because other guests understand parenthood and don’t roll their eyes at typical kid behavior. Everyone is so understanding. I’m sure it’s not the same situation on other lines. I think that’s one of the benefits of the DCL experience.

- It’s funny- when we told people we were going on a Disney cruise, we’d get one of two reactions- either “wow I hear those are awesome for kids” or “wow I hear those are very expensive”.

I know our 20 month old won’t remember this experience in the future, but I think the 5 year old definitely will. Would we go on DCL again? We want to, but that will depend on pricing also. Even though we went during a cheaper week, this was by far the most we’ve ever spent on a vacation. Eventually I’d like to go on one of the new ships, but will target an off-peak week. Overall, we had a fantastic time and have lots of great memories.

Great review!
We are hoping to do the Fantasy this year to complete our "Grand Slam" experience!
Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Thanks for the post. Our family is taking the same route in June with a 22 month and 4 year old, plus extended family and kids. Wondering how you biked with your toddler on CC? Also did you have any trouble at dinner feeding your 1 y/o? Doesn't seem super finger food friendly. You brought your car seat, did you use it while in port? Any other tips for cruising with a toddler?

Thanks for the post. Our family is taking the same route in June with a 22 month and 4 year old, plus extended family and kids. Wondering how you biked with your toddler on CC? Also did you have any trouble at dinner feeding your 1 y/o? Doesn't seem super finger food friendly. You brought your car seat, did you use it while in port? Any other tips for cruising with a toddler?

On Castaway Cay, they have bicycles with small kid seats attached behind the rider, which have straps. So she fit fine in there, and they do have helmets for that size kid. We just didn't ride too fast of course. She enjoyed the bike ride so much, she actually fell asleep during the bike ride!

For eating, we just got her a high chair at dinner, and ordered items off the kids menu (also for the 5 yr old). We would have to cut it into smaller pieces, and either feed her or have her feed herself. She had some rough moments at dinner, so we gave her videos to watch to keep her occupied.

We didn't use the car seat at all. For the scenic viewpoint excursion in USVI, we just walked there.

I recommend having DCL provide the pack n play and the diaper genie in the cabin (you just call and ask- it's free). At night, we would put her to sleep in the pack n play, and then later on in the night, the 5 yr old would go to sleep on the sofa bed. Then we would pull the curtain so we wouldn't bother them with noise. We also kept them occupied with episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the TV while we got ready.

Also I definitely recommend bringing a small umbrella stroller. We used it for her to get around the ship, and it's small enough to fold up for meals. Make sure it's small though.

Have fun!

SPA: We purchased the Rainforest room deal for the week. It was very relaxing to visit the various rooms and showers. We even took showers here a few days because the showers were so spacious. The spa uses Elemis toiletries, which I didn’t like as much as the DCL ones.

Did you receive the scrubs with your week long rainforest pass? I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not you get them when paying the $192+ auto gratuity for the week for the pass. We are going on the Fantasy this Saturday and are trying to decide if we want to just buy a couple day passes prior or wait and purchase the week long pass once on board. Thanks!

Did you receive the scrubs with your week long rainforest pass? I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not you get them when paying the $192+ auto gratuity for the week for the pass. We are going on the Fantasy this Saturday and are trying to decide if we want to just buy a couple day passes prior or wait and purchase the week long pass once on board. Thanks!

Yes they offered them to us every visit. Orange Vanilla or Lavender. I enjoyed having them.

Did you use the nursery at all for your youngest? We will be sailing with a 17 month old in the fall and would love to hear some recent feedback on the service.

Did you use the nursery at all for your youngest? We will be sailing with a 17 month old in the fall and would love to hear some recent feedback on the service.
While not recent. We used the nursery with our at the time 2 year old on the Fantasy last April and it was wonderful. They did a great job with her. She fell asleep there a couple of times.

We used it twice. Our main purpose for using it was that we could dine at Palo brunch. We also did a test run a few days before just so that she could get used to it. She cried for maybe 2 min when we dropped her off, but she was good after that (she is also in daycare so used to that scene). I felt they did a great job at the nursery and would have no issues using it. The rates are reasonable also (you do have to provide your own diapers and wipes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!