Favorite RV Beach Resort

JeremyC

Earning My Ears
We’re wanting to plan a week at the beach next summer, where’s everyone favorite resort?

We have enjoyed going to Tall Pines Harbor in Temperenceville Va. 2 or 3 times each season for last few years. Close to home for us and well themed weekends make it a good weekend destination for us

Tell us the general region you live in, Jeremy, or where you might consider vacationing.

Atlantic or Gulf coast?

Do want beach front camping (see the water from your site) or a beach section which might have a campground further inland but within biking or walking distance?

Or does location not matter and you'll basically go anywhere.

Thanks,

Bama Ed

Welcome to the Dis camping board!

Drive south until you hit Gulf Shores Alabama State park.

We love Pensacola and plan on camping there on our way home from Disney this next time. I have not camped yet so I can't say how much I would love it just yet ;)
We are still getting the sand out of our car from our last non-camping trip so I can't imagine keeping sand out of the camper- I may regret camping there haha.

Jeremy,

I've camped (RV'd) at a number of places "on the beach". I clarify because there are a lot of places (mostly state parks) along the pan handle that have beach front access, but the actual camping sites are back and do not have any actual ocean view.

True "beach" camping that I have done:

Myrtle Beach (Pirateland/Lakewood/Ocean Lakes)- VERY large campgrounds. I've stayed at all 3. (They are next to each other south of MB) You can get pretty close to the beach, but they have a berm that blocks some of the view. Personally, too big and crowded for my liking.
St. Augustine, Fl (Beverly Beach)- Beverly Beach Camptown RV Resort- Smaller campground wedged between A1A and the ocean. Only 2 rows of sites. One backs up to a sea wall with a drop to the beach, but the views are really nice.
Destin- Camping on the Gulf- This was my first actual camping ON the beach. I've camped here 4 different times. Smaller campground, but INCREDIBLY tight sites (especially the beach and beach front sites). It is also VERY expensive. If the price of a Fort Premium site at Christmas scares you, don't look at this place. If I wanted true beach front camping though, I'd consider staying here again.

In case you're interested in how close you can get there.

MHbeach2016hazy.jpg

There are places in the Keys that are waterfront I have drove past, but I haven't stayed at them.

As others mentioned, Gulf State Park is nice, but the camping sites are not right at the beach. The park does have over 2 miles of beach front though. Very nice.

Topsail and Henderson SPs are in the Destin area, but neither have actual beach front sites. They are also hard to get reservations.

j

Thanks Teamubr we made reservations for Beverly Beach for next June.
I think you will like it. It isn't far from Ste. Augustine and Kennedy.

The sites are completely perpendicular to the road. Not angled like many. This makes getting a longer rig into lace if there are people on either side and across the road, but I don't remember it being to bad. I had my old 5er (30 ft long) though. It might be a little more challenge with the new one (42 ft)

j

Has anyone stayed at Emerald Beach RV resort in Navarre?

We’ve been spending July 4 at Perdido Cove but I switched reservations to here for this year.

Both are off of the gulf. But Emerald appears to have a better beach area on the sound side. (Plus costs less). The national seashore is a short drive from both.

If not, I’ll let y’all know how we like it.

Has anyone stayed at Emerald Beach RV resort in Navarre?
We have drove through, but not stayed. We usually check out any place that is close to where we are staying to get an idea for future trips.

It was a nice place. Felt like a concrete jungle. Not much that isn't paved, but the beach area was nice. If I recall, there were a few sites that overlooked the water.

j

The sites over the water were spoken for already. Given that older DD (special needs) went for a swim in the canal behind our site at FW, it’s probably better that they are. It’s part of the reason I looked for another place...the “beach” at Perdido cove isn’t really meant to be a beach because it’s a Marina, so the water drops off real fast. And she is real fast. It worked fine when the kids were too young for that to be an issue.

Perdido Cove is also all concrete. As was the Pensacola one i went and checked out one trip. I’ve just presumed that’s the cost of an rv spot in that area. I only checked our camp gulf from the beach when we were staying at San destin last summer...but it looked the same. I also decided that parking in the sand would make for miserable camper cleanup.

Eventually I need to go to Gulf State Park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!