Fear of Flying

SEJ

Earning My Ears
We leave in 4 days and this is the first trip to Disney for my 6 year old. She has been waking up every morning telling me she wants to go to Disney, but is too scared to fly because of 9/11. Has anyone had this challenge before their first trip since September? Any ideas on how to help her? We are all looking forward to the trip but I am concerned seeing her fear.

hypnoyism? or ask the dr if there is something they can prescribe for her.
talk to her about her fears and why she feels this way and then try to talk to her and calm her down.

My sister is at WDW right now with her two DDs. DD age 12 was freaked by 9-11 since she had just been in NY in late July with her Girl Scout troop and toured WTC. She was very fearful of flying but we all told her it would be ok, grandma and grandpa had just returned from a long weekend in Las Vegas and they were safe. Do you know anyone who has flown since 9-11 that you could use as an example? My sister told the girls it was their job to go ahead with their normal life, that's what we have to do.

Now there is obviously a difference between 12 and 6.... I have DS who is six and we are flying to WDW in Feb. I tell him we feel it is safe to fly or we wouldn't let him on a plane. Kids need reassurance and we need to sound confident as parents (even when we ourselves have doubts!)

I wish you the best of luck. Tell her Mickey is really looking forward to meeting her!:sunny:

SEJ, just noticed the NH location.... I lived in the Dover area for 9 years!

It's odd how some kids are fearful and others are not. My kids are older, we flew two weeks after the tragedy. They never once expressed fear of flying, just kept asking if we are still going. Meanwhile I was petrified. They are ages 7-11. Then when we took off the 11 year old started shaking like a leaf and he said "I think I am afraid of flying after all". We got so immersed in homework, they were fine and okay for the return trip also. Let her know how many thousands and thousands of planes have flown since 9/11, and all arrive safely. I think once she gets to the airports and sees people going about their business as usual she will lose her fear. That is what helped me!

I strongly agree with the statement about expressing confidence.

Can you see airplanes in the sky from where you live? If so, maybe it would help to point out the planes and the fact that they are all flying normally.

We flew from Manchester, NH to Seattle, WA on 10/3 and 10/9. I have a 7 year old and a 2.5 year old. Both were fine. We are very blessed to have a clear definition of good and evil. She, the 7 year old, understands that those planes were taken over by evil men and the evil men died on the planes. Also, she understands that in the world today there is good and there is evil still. And that the President and the military are protecting us from any more evil men. That is the first point of confidence that she can rest on.

The second point is that she has a firm grasp of where you go when you die. Jesus Christ came that she specifically may live, along with anyone that accepts His free gift of salvation through grace. She has taken a hold of that truth and holds it close to her heart.

My wife was initially hesistant to board the flight, but she also knew the above 2 points and knew that if something dreadful happened we would be with the Lord together as a family.

It seems today that flying and all the other scares that are out there, remind people more than ever of their fears. Mostly their fear of death - that is a fear most do not want to face.

It is my point that kids read things honestly, if you are afraid and do not know why then they will be afraid as well. If you are confident and know the deep truths of life, they will be confident as well.

I hope the trip goes well and your children and yourself find the peace for the flights.

Tom.

Another thing you might try is, when you get on the plane, see if a Flight Attendent will talk to your DD about the safety measures they have taken, how many times they have flown since 9/11, etc. On my last flight on Delta, the pilot did a cabin walkthrough prior to the flight to say hi to everyone, etc. I noticed quite a few people who seemed calmed by this.

we went to Disney on Oct. 18. A week before we went I took her to the airport to
watch the planes take off. I would tell her that the planes landed and take off with no problems
She was 6 at the time. I kept the tv on cartoons when the
attacks happen on 9-11. She did see the crash take place on the morning of 9-11 and
asked why did the plane fly into the building. She knows that it some bad guys that
did it and she was safe with her family. That was all that was said between us about
9-11. I kept the media to a very low profile around the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter