Feeling better 'bout Disney

NedsTJ

Only 5.67E+06 feet from MK!
OK, I admit it. When Disney announced VMK was closing I was dismayed and shocked (for all the reasons that have been hashed and rehashed many times, lol). I was also feeling bitter about Disney itself, it's direction, and what it meant to me. So much so that I really didn't feel the urge to go in June like I've done the last few years. I felt that it somehow lost some of its magic the day VMK closed and I wasn't sure if I could actually go back, LOL.

However, I am feeling better about my attitudes toward Disney these days. Have a trip planned in October, and another in the works for Feb. I find myself purusing the other Disboards forums (theme parks, resorts, etc) looking for info, stories, pictures, anything to satisfy the Disney urge that's coming back, LOL. They say time heals all wounds, and I knew at the time I would eventually be going back (it is Disney, after all!). I still miss VMK, still kinda bummed about it, but am looking forward to what new things Disney has planned, and am really looking forward to visiting the parks again, the atmostphere, the food, the music....:goodvibes

Anyway, just felt like sharing that and wondering if anyone else is feeling the same....

ETA: PS - Still not playing any of the other Disney Online games though...nothing is even remotely similar, so that will have to wait....

Same here Ned, I even have played pirates online, which at the time I vowed never to do. @_@

I Have Just Came Back From WDW a few weeks ago.
I also would never played a disney game again but i have been going on toontown and POTCO alot.:goodvibes

I have also been over on the TPAAS, Spanish Dis and Resorts board, and have taken a trip to WDW with another in 2 days:)

Not me. For the first time since at least 1992 or 1993, I did not renew my annual pass. I haven't been to Disneyland since VMK closed. To my surprise, I don't miss it. I'll probably go back during Christmastime, maybe for the Halloween events, but my days of being a freespending Disney fanatic who goes to Disneyland 2-3x per month are probably behind me. And holy smokes, I have saved so much money I can't believe it. The kids haven't seemed to miss it either. My younger daughter has gotten into webkins, and the older one has gotten into Twilight. Disney cruises even came back to the west coast this year, and we took a Carnival cruise in the Caribbean instead.

Every once in a while, I come back to DIS to see what's new and exciting, but that's the extent of it.

I love all things Disney, it was the reason why I got involved with VMK in the first place. So even though I was upset that VMK closed, I knew better than to threaten to not be involved with Disney anymore.

The hurt still runs deep though. We just got back from Disneyland a couple of weeks ago, and there were many times when I thought about how much VMK was like the real park. We went on the Snow White ride and as we came out of the exit, we headed to Peter Pan which was directly across from us .. it was like deja-vu VMK style .. coming off Alice and walking across to Pan, trying to get a SITS pin. The funny thing is, we were looking for the Dream Team, so it really did feel like doing the Dark Rides on the first day of a new SITS pin release.

Another time while we were enjoying a Mickey pretzel at the Refreshment Corner, I looked out over the area and saw all those tables with the red chairs and umbrellas and my heart kinda twisted. The refreshment corner room came out so close to the end, that the only memory I really have of it, is sitting in Bug's room on the last day, saying goodbyes to everyone :sad:

Even going on the Toy Story ride made me think of Evoulie's video, as it felt just like it. I just love, love, love that ride .. soooo much fun :lovestruc I don't know why there isn't a Fast Pass for it :sad2:

The whole trip brought back bitter-sweet memories that with time I hope will fade to just sweet memories. While the Disney magic is still there for me, I now have an awareness at the back of my mind, that for the Disney Corp. the bottom line really is all about the money.

I'm still not interested in playing Disney games, but that is mostly because they don't have anything that interests me. I plan on checking out the Fairies game when that opens, but I doubt I will put as much effort into it as I did with VMK, my trust in WDIG doesn't extend too far.

HowWeird has to comfort me a lot when I start pointing out EVERYTHING that reminds me of VMK. I still miss it SO much. But it hasn't changed how much I love Disney. Weird still loves the movies, I still love the parks. Because we don't have our virtual world, we have to focus on the fact that we will make a trip to WDW in real life (hopefully within the next year or two, but we're giving it a huge window of 5 years).

I haven't played any other game. I saw a commercial the other day for the POTC game and I was like, "NO!" I can't devote myself to another online game just because I can't let go of VMK :sad1:

Like you, NedsTJ, I have been spending a lot more time on the other parts of DIS. There's so much to discover! I'm getting into reading about the little Disney "secrets" in the parks. It's what keeps me going. Of course, keeping the flats of Weird and Ninja with me ALL the time as well as a camera (literally ALL the time, they're always in my bag) gives me a bit of comfort.

I finally got out to Disneyland again this week, for the first time since May. The magic was gone. I no longer cared about trading pins, collecting souvenirs or even going on rides. I thought that once I finally motivated myself to get back to the park, and got over being mad about VMK closing, I would go back to enjoying Disneyland like I did before VMK ever came around. I was wrong. I totally wasted my ticket. I went for about an hour in the morning (because relatives from out of state were going) and then planned to go back after work. I didn't really even want to go back, but I didn't want to waste the ticket and people were waiting for me, so I went back. I didn't ride any rides. I just walked around with the group. I've gone from Disney fanatic to complete apathy. The last time I felt this way about something I really enjoyed was with baseball when they cancelled the World Series. It was a good four years before I began to enjoy baseball again, and another four years after that before I became a season ticketholder again. I wonder if it will be like that for me with Disney. After 20 years as an annual passholder, the last 15 or so continuously, will my next AP not be until 2016?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter