Fellow New Englanders: Full Recommendations?

DVCFan1994

DIS Veteran
So I have always wanted to do a full, but I have been plagued with injuries since I started running 3 years ago. I finally made it through a training cycle without a major injury with my lead up to Avengers Infinity Gauntlet Challenge. That was my goal, I'd train for a full once I got through a half race pain free and trained without a major injury setback. My previous two halves had a whole lot of pain by mile 8 - both IT Band related.

I'd love to do the WDW full, but don't want to wait until 2017. I am trying to find a local race with a scenic course, good organization and support. Do people have fulls they highly recommend? I do run outside in the winter, but I am not sure I want to train for a full over the winter. The 12 miler is bad enough in early February for Princess. I'm in central MA, in a city well known for piling on the snow into March and even April, so I could be dealing with snow and cold right through the longest of the long runs. But I do have GSC in February, so I guess I could keep going from that and be ready in late spring? Or I could keep working on my base after that and be well trained for a fall marathon. But those long runs would start ramping up in summer, which has its own downfalls. Since I can't decide which timing is better, I am wondering if people have races they love? That may be my guide as to which to train for.

Spring: Maine Coast in May

Fall:
MDI in October in Maine
Smuttynose in October in NH
Hartford in October

Any of them will give you plenty of time to train

Spring: Maine Coast in May

Fall:
MDI in October in Maine
Smuttynose in October in NH
Hartford in October

Any of them will give you plenty of time to train

Thanks! Really appreciate the input. I have lots of friends that do halves, but none who do the full distance. In the early research I have done, I had not come across any of these. I thought Smuttynose was only a half. Everyone I know who has done that half has loved it, so I will have to look into that! Maine in May sounds like a good weather compromise:) I never think of Hartford or CT in general for races, which is odd since I can be there just as quick as I could be to the Maine or NH Coasts. But I have family on those coasts, so I guess that keeps my mind focused that way!

Maybe I'll try for a Spring and a Fall. Considering Goofy or Dopey for Jan. 2017, so a Spring and Fall full seem like a good lead up to that! Thanks again!

Whoo team central MA!

If you're feeling adventurous and slightly crazy like I am there is one on the cape at the end of Feb. I'm just hoping the snow isn't as bad as last year, though I'm not sure what could be worse. It's a big very all inclusive race, and it's on the Cape so less chance of snow piled up forever like we get. http://www.hyannismarathon.com/Courses.html#Half

I'm not sure what you'll be ready for body wise the end of February with the GSC in there as well, so I guess this was more of a yay central MA and a heads up to others.

Whoo team central MA!

If you're feeling adventurous and slightly crazy like I am there is one on the cape at the end of Feb. I'm just hoping the snow isn't as bad as last year, though I'm not sure what could be worse. It's a big very all inclusive race, and it's on the Cape so less chance of snow piled up forever like we get. http://www.hyannismarathon.com/Courses.html#Half

I'm not sure what you'll be ready for body wise the end of February with the GSC in there as well, so I guess this was more of a yay central MA and a heads up to others.

Perhaps it should be Team Woo;) I am not sure I could be ready for Hyannis. But I live under a mile from a portion of the course of Stu's 30k which is the weekend after GSC. I've seen people running it the last two years and wished I was one of them. I am considering that, but it is a very popular Boston Tune-up race, and I am not that fast, so I haven't decided. I'd need to start getting my mileage up more. I've never gone longer than 13.4. I'm not planning on GSC in 2017, so perhaps Hyannis will be an option that year. Although I grew up in MA I had never been onto the cape until this year, we always went to ME and NH, so exploring the Cape sounds good too.

I am alone in my house. I hate snow, would love to move South, but no one in either of our families (except us for 10 years) has ever moved away from New England. My DH and kids love winter and snow and skiing. Blech. I just want to run. And I do, but my immediate area is generally unsafe due to insane snowbanks and narrow roads, so long runs require a drive to better conditions. I can get in up to 5 around home, but unless I want to run loops (not may favorite) I go park and run from other areas for longer distances.

@FFigawi Just checked out the Maine Coast in May and it looks like a great course! Thanks again for that.

Perhaps it should be Team Woo;) I am not sure I could be ready for Hyannis. But I live under a mile from a portion of the course of Stu's 30k which is the weekend after GSC. I've seen people running it the last two years and wished I was one of them. I am considering that, but it is a very popular Boston Tune-up race, and I am not that fast, so I haven't decided. I'd need to start getting my mileage up more. I've never gone longer than 13.4. I'm not planning on GSC in 2017, so perhaps Hyannis will be an option that year. Although I grew up in MA I had never been onto the cape until this year, we always went to ME and NH, so exploring the Cape sounds good too.

I am alone in my house. I hate snow, would love to move South, but no one in either of our families (except us for 10 years) has ever moved away from New England. My DH and kids love winter and snow and skiing. Blech. I just want to run. And I do, but my immediate area is generally unsafe due to insane snowbanks and narrow roads, so long runs require a drive to better conditions. I can get in up to 5 around home, but unless I want to run loops (not may favorite) I go park and run from other areas for longer distances.

FFigawi Just checked out the Maine Coast in May and it looks like a great course! Thanks again for that.

Without a doubt Woo for me. :thumbsup2

I don't know how I didn't know about Stu's 30k. I'm not that fast yet either so I consider those things pretty closely when picking. It can really mentally beat you down if you're the only one at your pace and it's slower than the rest. I grew up on the south shore so I always went to the cape. There are a TON of races down there all year long. They don't get as much snow or as much of the heat in general so it's a good area for it. Last winter I actually put off a whole month of training because of what happened in February with the snow.

And because I don't know if you know about it but http://www.runningintheusa.com/ is a good resource.

I'm doing Maine Coast in May. A friend of mine did it two years ago and loved it. This past September I did Clarence DeMar in Keene, NH. That's also a very nice race. Small race (~300 finishers), very friendly organizers and supporters, a small-town New England feel, and the first half is stunning. It's probably mid-range for difficulty.

Without a doubt Woo for me. :thumbsup2

I don't know how I didn't know about Stu's 30k. I'm not that fast yet either so I consider those things pretty closely when picking. It can really mentally beat you down if you're the only one at your pace and it's slower than the rest. I grew up on the south shore so I always went to the cape. There are a TON of races down there all year long. They don't get as much snow or as much of the heat in general so it's a good area for it. Last winter I actually put off a whole month of training because of what happened in February with the snow.

And because I don't know if you know about it but http://www.runningintheusa.com/ is a good resource.

Thanks, I did know about that site. Trouble I have is I prefer firsthand knowledge of courses after one really bad surprise in a 10k last year:)

I feel like Central Mass Striders, who puts on Stu's, doesn't advertise much. I only know of this race because I inevitably get caught in a race related driving day the day off. My husband does a very similar route on his bike a lot. I drive certain portions often, so I know there are hilly sections, but relatively speaking for the typical hills of this region, it's a decent course.

I'm doing Maine Coast in May. A friend of mine did it two years ago and loved it. This past September I did Clarence DeMar in Keene, NH. That's also a very nice race. Small race (~300 finishers), very friendly organizers and supporters, a small-town New England feel, and the first half is stunning. It's probably mid-range for difficulty.

Yes, the Maine Marathon course looks very nice, I think this may be the one for me! I was leaning toward spring, so it's a great fit. I love the Keene area, so I'll have to look into that one too for fall. Thanks:)

I have heard good things about the Shipyard Marathon (Kennebunk, ME) in May, too, and the Loco Marathon (Newmarket, NH) in October.

Edit: I just realized Shipyard == Maine Coast. :D

I might look into doing Shipyard as the half. :) No fulls for me yet (ever?) but I am going to be doing more local races next year, no real traveling. I'm already looking at Covered Bridges in June, so maybe Shipyard would be a good May race.

I'm in central MA,

Are the Central Mass Striders still there? DH used to be a member of that organization back when we lived in central MA. He did the Cape Cod Marathon in November, which was scenic and well-run. However, that was about 25 years ago, don't know if that still exists. As far as marathons and snow, the CMS used to sponsor a marathon in January that was held on the track at Worcester Polytechnic Institute's track. If I remember, you ran about 100 laps around the track for a marathon. Well run, but definitely NOT scenic!

Are the Central Mass Striders still there? DH used to be a member of that organization back when we lived in central MA. He did the Cape Cod Marathon in November, which was scenic and well-run. However, that was about 25 years ago, don't know if that still exists. As far as marathons and snow, the CMS used to sponsor a marathon in January that was held on the track at Worcester Polytechnic Institute's track. If I remember, you ran about 100 laps around the track for a marathon. Well run, but definitely NOT scenic!

Yes they're still around. They are who put on the 30k race I'm considering for March. I'm not a member, but I've looked at their website for events since they are local to me. I don't think they do a WPI marathon anymore. They do have a weekly 5k at Worcester State, and they have a summer 10k sunset/full moon rising race I swear I'm going to do each year, but I'm always out of town.

I might look into doing Shipyard as the half. :) No fulls for me yet (ever?) but I am going to be doing more local races next year, no real traveling. I'm already looking at Covered Bridges in June, so maybe Shipyard would be a good May race.

I'm doing princess (GSC) in February, but after that it will be all local races for me. 2017 I'm hoping to do WDW a weekend. The Shipyard seems like a good course and its local enough for me, Just one night away from home.

Another (former) central Mass runner here!
I haven't run it personally, but I've heard good things about the Baystate marathon/half marathon in Lowell in October.
It sounds like a no-frills kind of race, but it's supposedly very flat. It used to be a popular Boston marathon qualifier until the deadlines changed.

Another (former) central Mass runner here!
I haven't run it personally, but I've heard good things about the Baystate marathon/half marathon in Lowell in October.
It sounds like a no-frills kind of race, but it's supposedly very flat. It used to be a popular Boston marathon qualifier until the deadlines changed.

My favorite 10k POT course (flat, very few turns) is in Lowell. I have not heard much about it, other than people I know in that area complaining about associated traffic:) I'll look into it. Thanks!

My favorite 10k POT course (flat, very few turns) is in Lowell. I have not heard much about it, other than people I know in that area complaining about associated traffic:) I'll look into it. Thanks!
Which race is that? I'm thinking of maybe doing the Will Run For Beer series this year and the First Run in Lowell is one of the options, although I'll probably do the Hangover Classic in Salisbury just because it's closer. :)

Which race is that? I'm thinking of maybe doing the Will Run For Beer series this year and the First Run in Lowell is one of the options, although I'll probably do the Hangover Classic in Salisbury just because it's closer. :)

That's the same course. But, I have not run that race. So I can't speak to that race, just the course.

I have done the Thanks4Giving 10k. It's held Thanksgiving morning. I'm not doing it this year as the PHM POT deadline changed, but I've done it a few times now. The course is two loops of a flat triangular route.

I just learned of the First Run recently. I may run it if I'm around that day.

So I have always wanted to do a full, but I have been plagued with injuries since I started running 3 years ago. I finally made it through a training cycle without a major injury with my lead up to Avengers Infinity Gauntlet Challenge. That was my goal, I'd train for a full once I got through a half race pain free and trained without a major injury setback. My previous two halves had a whole lot of pain by mile 8 - both IT Band related.

I'd love to do the WDW full, but don't want to wait until 2017. I am trying to find a local race with a scenic course, good organization and support. Do people have fulls they highly recommend? I do run outside in the winter, but I am not sure I want to train for a full over the winter. The 12 miler is bad enough in early February for Princess. I'm in central MA, in a city well known for piling on the snow into March and even April, so I could be dealing with snow and cold right through the longest of the long runs. But I do have GSC in February, so I guess I could keep going from that and be ready in late spring? Or I could keep working on my base after that and be well trained for a fall marathon. But those long runs would start ramping up in summer, which has its own downfalls. Since I can't decide which timing is better, I am wondering if people have races they love? That may be my guide as to which to train for.
I live in South Florida, but I am thinking about running the Wineglass half marathon in Corning NY next year in October. They have a full too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter