Fewest Fliers at Thanksgiving?

Wes

Mouseketeer
We are planning on going to WDW at Thanksgiving. This is one of the absolute worst times of the year to fly. So we are trying to figure out when everyone who is flying for Thanksgiving will NOT be flying.

It seems that if we fly on Thanksgiving Day, that would probably be the fewest other people flying. Is this correct? How about the day after Tahnskgiving Day (i.e., Friday)?

And if there are fewer people flying, do the airlines schedule fewer flights for these off-days?

Forget about flying the day after Thanksgiving. Really the whole weekend plus Monday. They are the busiest travel times of the year.

Your best bet is to fly Monday or Tuesday ( or Thanksgiving Day ) then return the following Tuesday or later.

While some airlines do schedule fewer flights on some holidays, I don't think that would be the case to Orlando. Thanksgiving Day may be a little lighter than the day before, but I would still expect full or nearly full flights. Friday and Saturday will probably be a little lighter than Thursday.

I've flown to Orlando on Thanksgiving Day the last 3 years. The morning flights were still pretty full, but the afternoon flights were not. Most people want to get to their destination BEFORE the holiday.

Yes - there were fewer flights available from my hometown to a hub on that day.

flights for the thanksgiving holiday book 340 days out. this is the single most heavily traveled time of the year for air. thanksgiving is on a thursday and the flights book heavy from the sat before thanksgiving to tuesday after. 14 yrs of doing this has made me very wise on thanksgiving travel. a lot fo people take the whole week of thanksgiving off and start their travel on the weekend before these days. even for this year they are predicting heavy travel for the holiday. high fares or not. (this comes from usairs dept that predicts how the flights are going to book.) and right now bookings are already high. Thanksgiving day travel depends on what time of day. most people will travel that morning and the afternoon to early evening are the better times to travel. good luck on trying to find a flight for that time frame.

There are 7 of us flying from Boston to Orlando on Thanksgiving Day. A few months ago I researched all the different airlines, their flight times and prices, then I put the information aside. <b>Big</b> mistake. A few days ago I tried to book just one of the many different flight scenarios and was completely out of luck. All the morning flights were either totally booked, or the price had soared (and in some cases, even doubled!). I had my heart set on being in WDW by mid-afternoon (so we can have a somewhat-normal Thanksgiving Dinner) so I kept at it and finally decided on a mid-morning Delta flight. It was more expensive than if I had booked it a month ago, but at this point I'm happy to find 7 seats together.
Moral of the story - if you're planning on traveling this Thanksgiving and have a particular time in mind, book your airfare asap!

Does anyone have an opinion on a redeye on Thanksgiving? We are planning on leaving at 10:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving night and will arrive in Orlando Friday morning. Do you think this will be crowded? It isn't until 2002 but I am doing as much reseach as possible now.

Thanksgiving 2001 isn't even here yet! you can't book 2002 until 340 days out from both dates of travel!

So the connection does not get lost, here is a <a href="http://www.disboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28672">link to a related thread</a>.

I know I can't book airfare now. As I said, I'm simply doing research on what everyone has experience for 2001. I'm wondering if flights on Thanksgiving night (redeye) would be crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter