Finally mailed a letter to DL president re. the Buzz scoring

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Folks, I've meant to write to the president of DL for months re. the scoring problem on Buzz Lightyear. Specifically, if 2,096,000 is exceeded, all points are lost. Since scores beyond 1,000,000 don't display on the cruiser, it's hard to control when to stop playing/shooting. I know this won't be an issue for many of us. But it's bothered me for months.

As an aside, I suspect that many people will say (or think) that the president will never see this letter; that, if read at all, it will be seen by an assistant. But I know this: nearly every time in the past that I've gone to a higher-up with an issue, I've had a better response than when I start at the bottom and try to work up the chain. In any case, it does no harm to try. I'll post if there's any reply.

DL Buzz letter.jpg

Last edited:
I think the president of Disneyland has larger things to worry about. I suspect this letter will be met with a form response thanking you for sharing your experience at the park, along with a promise to look into this "issue." Really, though, how much of a problem is this? It's a game. You don't actually win anything for your efforts. In that regard, you aren't losing anything of tangible value.

I would save the letter writing for issues that deserve either praise or correction as a matter of improving the guest experience. This seems absurdly petty.

Good luck to you on getting the issue resolved. I didn't realize it was a new issue when you mentioned it recently. I had assumed it had always reset scores since I've never scored anything anywhere near you. I'm just happy if I beat my fellow rider (thanks for the tips, looking forward to trying them in January).

Let's keep the comments respectful and non-denigrating. Just because one person doesn't think an issue is important doesn't mean the issue isn't important at all to anyone. It is possible to disagree without casting judgement. If getting this issue fixed helps keep the parks in good working order, then it can benefit everyone either directly or indirectly.

I'm so impressed that you can get such high scores. My aim is terrible on Buzz, although it's a fun ride. Good luck with your letter.

Let's keep the comments respectful and non-denigrating. Just because one person doesn't think an issue is important doesn't mean the issue isn't important at all to anyone. It is possible to disagree without casting judgement. If getting this issue fixed helps keep the parks in good working order, then it can benefit everyone either directly or indirectly.

Did someone post something obnoxious/nasty? I didn't see anything but perhaps that's because I've blocked all the people that are like that on the board -- and there are a few. What I find interesting is that Disneyland is, essentially, a children's park and yet an adult will take the time to attack me and insist that I enjoy the park in the way that they deem appropriate. I'm pretty sure that isn't what Walt intended.

Did someone post something obnoxious/nasty? I didn't see anything but perhaps that's because I've blocked all the people that are like that on the board...
The person in question posted what appears to be a harsh comment. The thread in general looks much better now. Let us know if you get a response to your letter. Have you sent a copy to Mary Niven (VP, DL park)? She's very nice and truly interested in guest experience. We spoke with her a few times when she was VP at DCA, and she really listened and asked many questions about our time in DCA.

Last edited:
Have you sent a copy to Mary Niven (VP, DL park)? She's very nice and truly interested in guest experience. We spoke with her a few times when she was VP at DCA, and she really listened and asked many questions about our time in DCA.
I'm writing one now. Thanks for the heads-up :-).

Last edited:
I feel that if it important to Rob, it is probably important to others. I support his letter and don't find it petty.

I agree 100%. Going to the park at least once a week and going on your favorite ride multiple times during that day becomes part of you. If something was to change or be different in something you do so frequently, in any aspect of your life, it would not be petty to you. I believe Rob was sharing this letter because he knows there are other people out there like him who care a lot about this scoring issue.

I think we are all passionate of our favorite place to be. Some of us, like Rob, have a certain passion for certain aspects of the park that we might not all appreciate or understand. I imagine we all have special interests that are not shared by the vast majority of park goers.

I think it is important when you have an issue to let those in charge know. They may not act on every suggestion or complaint, it may be a lower manager reading these letters, but it probably has more impact than a CM talking to their lead who talks to their manager and so on and so forth as I am sure Rob had done for a long time now with no change to the issue.

I think it is important when you have an issue to let those in charge know. They may not act on every suggestion or complaint, it may be a lower manager reading these letters, but it probably has more impact than a CM talking to their lead who talks to their manager and so on and so forth as I am sure Rob had done for a long time now with no change to the issue.

Thank you! Yes, I've spoken to CMs and Guest Relations countless times about the issue, all to no avail. I've had great success in the past with other companies when I've gone to the top (or to someone close to it). It seems that issues are prioritized when they come from the top down rather than from the bottom up.

I hope for you Rob, that they get this fixed! I always love your posts, and I am forever in awe of your skills on Buzz! It seems like it should be a simple fix, but who knows? And I agree with OP, people (particularly passionate ones like on this Board) find the details to be part of what they enjoy the most about visiting DLR. If the details change or are not working, it can be frustrating. I hope they fix this!

Strange turn this thread took. I mean, this is certainly nothing I personally care about, but the beauty of America is people can write letters about whatever is important to them!

Hope you get the issue resolved, Rob.

Rob, when you exceed that high score does it simply get stuck at zero or does it wrap around to zero and start counting up again? I ask because I'm a hardware/software engineer and if it wraps around I can think of a few simple faults that might cause that. And something their electronics techs should be able to easily troubleshoot and fix.

Rob, when you exceed that high score does it simply get stuck at zero or does it wrap around to zero and start counting up again? I ask because I'm a hardware/software engineer and if it wraps around I can think of a few simple faults that might cause that. And something their electronics techs should be able to easily troubleshoot and fix.

Excellent question and thanks for your insight. What happens is that once you exceed (approximately) 2,096,000, players' scores reset and start to count up from zero once again.

Strange turn this thread took. I mean, this is certainly nothing I personally care about, but the beauty of America is people can write letters about whatever is important to them!..

I love to see threads like this in action: when someone comes along and decides to drag a thread to the Dark Side (okay, I don't love that), then other DISers band together to bring the thread back to focus on the positive -- that's the Disney spirit in action! Threads like this make me proud of these boards. :) Way to go, DISers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!