First airplane ride. How to book?

crazelion

<font color=blue>Form feet and legs...form arms an
Hi guys,

I need tips on how to book my first airplane ride. I will be flying out of Chattanooga or Atlanta. Prefer to fly out Chattanooga if possible. I can drive to Hartford airport in Atlanta. But I will how leave my car in long term parking to drive back. I live in Chattanooga can have family drop off at the airport easily.

I need to know everything. I nothing about flying at all. What's the difference between First Class and Coach. I if can carry-on rolling suitcase and fanny pack on the same plane. What are the resrictions. How to get from the airport once I arrive at the MCO or Orlando Airport. How do I find my luggage on the plane. If how check in luggage where do I pick up when get off the plane and which way do go. How know where the transportaion when get off plane. Where to book airfare at. I need to know websites. Also I will need idiot proof directions so I won't make a mistake.

As you can see I know nothing at all. Is there a website give step by instructions how to do this. I mean simple directions to.

I know it's dumb question. But I never been on a airplane before and is scare to death. Also I do not won't 10 hours to Walt Disney World either. Trust me i get lost in Orlando so probaly 12 to 14 hours get lost if drive.

Also tell me if cheaper to fly then drive to.

:confused:
Thanks

Hi Crazelion. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Fly or Drive?
Probably cheaper to drive, but longer. I would rather fly.

How to book a flight?
I usually book online at Orbitz.com or Expedia. I've never had any problem using either one. You basically plug in the dates you are interested in and the to/fromm airports and a choice of rates comes up. Keep reading the boards for advice about when goods rates have come out.

Which Airport?
It is probably cheaper to fly out of Atlanta than Chattanooga since Atlanta is an airline hub. But you have to take parking into account.

First Class or Coach?
Coach is crowded and uncomfortable as a general rule but First Class is way too expensive for most people. For example, a flight that costs $200 in coach could be $1000 in First Class. It gets you more comfortable seats, some level of service, free drinks and some food. Not worth it unless you have gotten a free upgrade.

What can be carried on?
You can take a carry-on sized suitcase and a personal item (backpack, purse, fanny pack) per person. I usually go with my rolling carry on and a backpack. Don't forget to count children in the total for carry ons. Whatever you bring needs to fit in the overhead bins or under the seat. My medium sized backpack fits very well under the seat.

Where will the luggage be?
Follow the signs through the airport to baggage claim. Then watch for the sign above one of the carousels to list your flight. Watch for your bags to come by on the conveyor and pull them off.

Transportation?
You have a lot of options for transportation: Taxi, Shuttle, Towncar. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages.

I do not like the MEARS shuttle. For our last trip, DH, DS and I used Yourride Towncar Service. Its about $90 round trip to the Magic Kingdom Hotels. I think taxis are about $40 each way and MEARS is a per person charge.

Hopefully, this is a good start.

:) :D

Funny, they've never counted my kids as carry-ons, even when I've tried to shove them in the overhead bins:p

Funny, they've never counted my kids as carry-ons, even when I've tried to shove them in the overhead bins:p

If you belong to AAA I suggest you use their travel dept. or find a travel agent in your area. For your first trip it would be easier to have someone else do all the arranging. Then the next time you go you could do it yourself.

I suggest going to the library and do some reading about travel so you could make yourself a little more aware of what you need to do when you travel. Or try Barnes and Noble or any of the book stores where you can just sit and read.

A good travel agent is worth their weight in gold especially if this is your first trip.

This not my first vacation to disney world. All the others either I drove was on a bus trip. I'm season traveler. I have been everywhere that I can drive to in the USA.

This just my first airplane and member of AAA so my use a travel agent.:p

I just looking at other alterates to driving. That's along drive and I hate that s curve in Atlanta just get back to Chattanooga.

I have just got back from Atlanta and went to the Atlanta malls and did not have any air force ones in my size.

I still stand by my suggestion. You asked a lot of questions about air travel. A good travel agent can get you all of that information. If a problem arose you have someone who can help you out.

I fly weekly for my job and event though I pick my flights I use a travel agent in the event of problems. You are much safer in the air than you are on the ground.

Thanks safetymom,

I think I will talk to may AAA agent about booking airfare and getting information.

I'm really getting into plan my Walt Disney World vacation. I know what mean traveling for the job. I do it all the time but usually by bus or drive.

Thanks for everyone help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter