First DVC stays this week

Jenntx

Mouseketeer
We became members May 2013. We will use our points for the first time on this adult only trip. We will stay at Saratoga for two night, then on the Dream for four night cruise and end our trip at Bay Lake Tower for two nights. Being new DVC members - anything special we should know before our stays? We have read about housekeeping so we know that won't happen but were wondering if you veterans have any other advice for us. Thanks!! :)

We became members May 2013. We will use our points for the first time on this adult only trip. We will stay at Saratoga for two night, then on the Dream for four night cruise and end our trip at Bay Lake Tower for two nights. Being new DVC members - anything special we should know before our stays? We have read about housekeeping so we know that won't happen but were wondering if you veterans have any other advice for us. Thanks!! :)
Enjoy your first stay. The first 2 things stat come to mind are that DVC tends to be closer to 4 for the room to be ready and it's not uncommon to be later than that. Do you have a dining plan for either of the WDW portions?

It takes most DVC members time to figure this out. You are coming back so you do not have to do the parks commando every trip. You will learn to enjoy the resorts and other WDW things outside the parks.
I see you are doing a cruise on this trip so you will have plenty of relaxing time this trip.
:welcome: Home and much pixiedust:

Keep your expectations grounded, I didn't say low. I just find sometimes new members feel like they just bought into the "Diamond" level of Disney's frequent traveler program. DVC is a wonderful program and I really enjoy it and visit as often as 5 times a year, however, we understand we are in a family of other members and not in some Disney "Super Special Guest Program". Realize that DVC resorts are completely booked to capacity each day 24/7, so don't expect late checkouts, you are not entitled to them and when you stay in your room pass checkout time you are not hurting Disney but your fellow members. With that said enjoy your purchase and use it, it's a wonderful experience!

Enjoy your first stay. The first 2 things stat come to mind are that DVC tends to be closer to 4 for the room to be ready and it's not uncommon to be later than that. Do you have a dining plan for either of the WDW portions?

Thank you! Good to know about check in. We are renting a car from MCO so we will just drive to the parks & worry about check in when we are finished for the day.

We are not doing the dining plan - we have decided to buy the TIW card @ Guest services in DTD when we arrive. We will be taking a family trip in May and DH has business in Orlando frequently so I tag along when I can so we can go to WDW. We have AP's so we think TIW will be our best bet. Plus I sometimes only order appetizers for my meal so the DDP is not the best for me.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my thread! :)

It takes most DVC members time to figure this out. You are coming back so you do not have to do the parks commando every trip. You will learn to enjoy the resorts and other WDW things outside the parks.
I see you are doing a cruise on this trip so you will have plenty of relaxing time this trip.
:welcome: Home and much pixiedust:

Thank you so much! My husband had business in Orlando in July, so I tagged along and we had a four day adult only trip. We stayed on Starwood points @ the Dolphin.

We spent a lot of time checking out DVC properties. Each one was so kind to let us look at DVC rooms- so we knew what to expect when we stay there. We would also go look at the pools and have a drink- then sit & people watch.

The one think that became clear to us - our vacations as DVC members were going to change from our previous WDW trips. We could tell from the families there that a DVC vacation is more about relaxing not crazy schedule "touring plans" vacations that we have always had in the past. We realized now that we will all have AP's and will have many years of Disney vacations to come that we can now take it slow - enjoy the resort (& pool) we are staying at and not spend from sun up to sun down at the parks. More relaxing & slow (I hope) for us in the future.
Thanks for your advice. :)

Keep your expectations grounded, I didn't say low. I just find sometimes new members feel like they just bought into the "Diamond" level of Disney's frequent traveler program. DVC is a wonderful program and I really enjoy it and visit as often as 5 times a year, however, we understand we are in a family of other members and not in some Disney "Super Special Guest Program". Realize that DVC resorts are completely booked to capacity each day 24/7, so don't expect late checkouts, you are not entitled to them and when you stay in your room pass checkout time you are not hurting Disney but your fellow members. With that said enjoy your purchase and use it, it's a wonderful experience!

The DH just read your response, he said "I'm a fan of this person". :) :) DH has said all along that this is not a "country club membership" - it's just a way for our family of five to continue our trips to WDW & other Disney properties (w/ DVC rooms) without paying high prices to stay in rooms that would fit our family on property.

Thanks for letting us know about late check out (that it is not available). We are looking forward to many many years of Disney fun.

Another question-

For the DVC stays should I do online check in? We have received our two sets Magic Bands for both stays but wasn't sure if we should do online check in or wait until we get there. Thanks for your help!! :)

Jenntx said:
The DH just read your response, he said "I'm a fan of this person". :) :) DH has said all along that this is not a "country club membership" - it's just a way for our family of five to continue our trips to WDW & other Disney properties (w/ DVC rooms) without paying high prices to stay in rooms that would fit our family on property.

Thanks for letting us know about late check out (that it is not available). We are looking forward to many many years of Disney fun.

Just good advice so we can all enjoy the program. I'm the biggest fan of DVC! We too enjoy it with our family of five, those who tend to think they purchased more than what they have are those who tend to be disappointed. With that said, we feel like royalty when we visit WDW! We love the accommodations, in general they are very well kept and offer us more then we can get elsewhere. Its always interesting how some people react to not having housekeeping, because as members we have the option of getting it, however, there is a cost associated with it. Always seems like when they have to pay for it it becomes less important. Like any accommodations you may have use sometimes things aren't perfect, but that's the exception in my opinion. Since we joined in 2001 and have stayed at least 40 plus times I've never had anything that was very seriously an issue, I've had disappointments, location, room type or transportation but, I would say even that maybe just 4 or five times. I met a family last year at BWV and it was their first trip, they weren't DVC but they thought for the $400 plus per night they were paying they were satisfied. Made me appreciate my purchase even more.... DVC has been great for us and I wish y'all the best as well!

Thank you so much! My husband had business in Orlando in July, so I tagged along and we had a four day adult only trip. We stayed on Starwood points @ the Dolphin.

We spent a lot of time checking out DVC properties. Each one was so kind to let us look at DVC rooms- so we knew what to expect when we stay there. We would also go look at the pools and have a drink- then sit & people watch.

The one think that became clear to us - our vacations as DVC members were going to change from our previous WDW trips. We could tell from the families there that a DVC vacation is more about relaxing not crazy schedule "touring plans" vacations that we have always had in the past. We realized now that we will all have AP's and will have many years of Disney vacations to come that we can now take it slow - enjoy the resort (& pool) we are staying at and not spend from sun up to sun down at the parks. More relaxing & slow (I hope) for us in the future.
Thanks for your advice. :)

So of the things you can maybe look forward too depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour

Another question-

For the DVC stays should I do online check in? We have received our two sets Magic Bands for both stays but wasn't sure if we should do online check in or wait until we get there. Thanks for your help!! :)

Every since online check-in started I have found that my requests have been met more often than before the start of it. This is more a question of are you comfortable doing the online check-in and giving your CC number over the internet. I find that most of the time it speeds up the check-in process at the resort but at heavy check in times it can actually be a longer line that regular check-in.

Just good advice so we can all enjoy the program. I'm the biggest fan of DVC! We too enjoy it with our family of five, those who tend to think they purchased more than what they have are those who tend to be disappointed. With that said, we feel like royalty when we visit WDW! We love the accommodations, in general they are very well kept and offer us more then we can get elsewhere. Its always interesting how some people react to not having housekeeping, because as members we have the option of getting it, however, there is a cost associated with it. Always seems like when they have to pay for it it becomes less important. Like any accommodations you may have use sometimes things aren't perfect, but that's the exception in my opinion. Since we joined in 2001 and have stayed at least 40 plus times I've never had anything that was very seriously an issue, I've had disappointments, location, room type or transportation but, I would say even that maybe just 4 or five times. I met a family last year at BWV and it was their first trip, they weren't DVC but they thought for the $400 plus per night they were paying they were satisfied. Made me appreciate my purchase even more.... DVC has been great for us and I wish y'all the best as well!

Thank you for your well wishes & for your honest feedback. After 40+ visits w/ only a handful of complaints - I'd say it sounds like a great deal. We are excited about many DVC memories ahead of us. :)

Every since online check-in started I have found that my requests have been met more often than before the start of it. This is more a question of are you comfortable doing the online check-in and giving your CC number over the internet. I find that most of the time it speeds up the check-in process at the resort but at heavy check in times it can actually be a longer line that regular check-in.

Thanks for the info! I did online check in today for our stays. Thanks!! :)

So of the things you can maybe look forward too depending upon what you are into:
sports: golf, fishing, RPDE, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour

Thanks for this list!! Looks like we have a lot of fun things to explore over the years. Thanks for taking the time to share this with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter