First Time at Old Key West...Please Get Me Psyched :)

Emme

DIS Veteran
We are not DVC members but just booked OKW for Sept. using a discount code. We are three adults traveling (DH, myself, and adult son) so we booked the one bedroom villa. Tell me all the great things about the resort and maybe the not so great I need to realize. I asked for bldg. 62 because the dual bathroom door and proximity to the Hospitality House were things that were important to us. Did I make a good choice? Thanks so much and look forward to hearing your enthusiasm...lol!!

The greatest advantage to OKW is the sheer size of the rooms! Studios are even much bigger than normal, but the 1BR is FANTASTIC. Plenty of room in the kitchen for meals, snacks and drinks...we always do breakfast at least, even if it's at the crack of dawn. The patio is large as well, with a table and four chairs instead of an end table and two chairs. I LOVE the peace and tranquility of the resort...Jimmy Buffett on all the resort busses is a huge treat. :) Make sure you visit the Gurgling Suitcase for a drink, as well...the Turtle Krawl is a must-try! The central location of OKW makes the all-bus transportation a little easier...it's about the same distance to most parks, and even MK is only 15 minutes or so. Finally, you should totally try a sit-down meal at Olivia's...it's entirely underrated and some of the best food on property. Have fun!!!!

We are not DVC members but just booked OKW for Sept. using a discount code. We are three adults traveling (DH, myself, and adult son) so we booked the one bedroom villa. Tell me all the great things about the resort and maybe the not so great I need to realize. I asked for bldg. 62 because the dual bathroom door and proximity to the Hospitality House were things that were important to us. Did I make a good choice? Thanks so much and look forward to hearing your enthusiasm...lol!!

We are staying there 4 weeks from Friday after staying there two years ago. Love the calm, relaxed vibe. The boat to Springs is a wonderfully relaxing mode of transportation and we took it almost every evening and returned late. Gurgling suitcase is a very small open air bar that my son and I closed down each and every night. We are not pool people but we got a room right next to Turtle pond pool and for a relaxed pool it looked great. HH had all you need with main pool, Olivia's (we had a great breakfast there) and store. And every single bus hits HH before leaving the grounds so all you have to do to get there is hop on any bus!

One comment as I don't know what your ressies or preferred location is, but to me it looks like you might need the extra door to the bathroom like we do. That way the person sleeping in the living room does not have to go through the master in the middle of the night. The villas in Turtle Pond and South Point all have the extra door in the laundry room that lets you do this. Also a tip for your grown son, I have found in the past that the sleeper chairs that pull out are much more comfortable than the sleeper couches. Don't know how they are now though since the rooms have been through a refurb.

I would bet at the end of your stay you will be a fan of OKW. The size of the rooms, the vibe and the beauty of the resort and surroundings will be waiting for your arrival.

Any building on Turtle Pond or South Point will have the door through the laundry room. 62 might not be available to you since they often reserve it for medical needs.

You son will be able to sleep in either the queen sized sleeper or the twin sized sleeper chair. My adult son usually like the twin sized sleeper chair because he finds it a bit more comfortable.

Another vote for the Turtle Pond area...especially if you would rather go to a really nice quiet pool that will feel like it is your own at times. Also there is a snack bar with some nice salads, sandwiches, and drinks!! IMG_0270.jpg

Any building on Turtle Pond or South Point will have the door through the laundry room. 62 might not be available to you since they often reserve it for medical needs.

You son will be able to sleep in either the queen sized sleeper or the twin sized sleeper chair. My adult son usually like the twin sized sleeper chair because he finds it a bit more comfortable.

I agree that the sleeper is usually more comfortable than the sleeper sofa.

And OKW one bedrooms have a wonder HUGE jetted tub.

A couple more pics for you....main pool and view from our patio.
IMG_0349.jpgIMG_0334.jpg

OKW is our home resort. We love it! It may not be as ‘flashy’ as the others, but we love the escape that it is when we get back from the parks. I think this alone makes it great- especially on an adult trip. It’s just incredibly relaxing. As others have said, the rooms are huge. I love sipping my morning coffee on the balcony. I also like the boat you can take over to Disney Springs.

We love OKW! It’s very laid back and peaceful. And you can’t best grabbing a drink at the Gurgling Suitcase and hopping on a boat over to Disney Springs!

Not to hijack but is the snack area by the turtle pond area open year srounf?

Great resort with lovely vacation vibe. We originally stayed there once because it was the only dvc studio with two actual beds. I was thinking we wouldn't like it but we would endure in order to have the two beds. Boy was I wrong. We loved it and now choose to go back.

Thank you everyone!! So beautiful! Okay so you said Bldg. 62 may not be an option. I'm new to OKW so what Bldg. close to the HH would be an option with the dual bathroom doors?

Please keep the positive post vibes coming!! Thank you!!

THe only bldgs with 2 bathroom entrances that are near to HH are 62, 63 and 64. These may or may not be available as they are also the only buildings with elevators, so are sometimes held for those people with mobility issues.
Otherwise you're looking at 30 to 35 being the next closest sets of buildings with two entrances to the master bath. These are on Old Turtle Pond road. 45 and 46 would be the next closest after that..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter