First Time at SeaWorld. Lots of questions.

ReadyToGoBack

Earning My Ears
My family will be going to SeaWorld in a couple of weeks and I feel lost when it comes to a plan. What are the absolute MUST DO attractions/shows if we only plan to spend about 1/2-3/4 of a day in the park? I know that we won't be able to do everything and we are okay with that. We just want to take advantage of the free admission to we are receiving for buying tickets to Discovery Cove. What would you recommend if my family just wanted a small taste of what the park has to offer? It will be me, dh, dd 26, ds 15, ds 11, dsS2. Everyone is very interested in the thrill rides and less interested in shows. If we arrive at opening is the quick queue necessary?

Hi, we did Discovery Cove the beginning of June and had no problem filling in two full days at SeaWorld. That being said, everyone is different and if you are less interested in the shows you shouldn't need as much time. However they do have the electric ocean stuff going on now so if you are interested in any of the nighttime shows like fireworks I would strongly recommend that, as I thought the Ignite show was amazing. Are you interested in seeing the aquarium exhibits? That alone could take up some time as well, there are a few very impressive exhibits like penguins, sharks, dolphins, etc.

As far as must-do attractions, if you are into thrill rides then you'll want to do Mako, Manta, Kraken, and Journey to Atlantis (water ride) for sure. There is a turtle trek 3d show, a wild arctic simulator, and the penguin dark ride are all smaller scale rides. As for quick queue, we had no problems without it, but if you are going on a saturday or sunday I would consider it. But if it is a weekday and you get there at opening I think you should be fine.

There are some great trip reports on how others spent their time at sea world and discovery cove

Check some of them out

Also take a look at gina’s reports and sw picture thread

Definitely Manta for a roller coaster experience like no other. Really the three big coasters and the animal exhibits make for a nice day, and toss in a show if you want a sit down break.

If you are short on time, skip the wild arctic ride - it is painfully slow. The exhibit itself is worthwhile though. Really the same for the penguin ride (actual exhibit also good).

Hi, we did Discovery Cove the beginning of June and had no problem filling in two full days at SeaWorld. That being said, everyone is different and if you are less interested in the shows you shouldn't need as much time. However they do have the electric ocean stuff going on now so if you are interested in any of the nighttime shows like fireworks I would strongly recommend that, as I thought the Ignite show was amazing. Are you interested in seeing the aquarium exhibits? That alone could take up some time as well, there are a few very impressive exhibits like penguins, sharks, dolphins, etc.

As far as must-do attractions, if you are into thrill rides then you'll want to do Mako, Manta, Kraken, and Journey to Atlantis (water ride) for sure. There is a turtle trek 3d show, a wild arctic simulator, and the penguin dark ride are all smaller scale rides. As for quick queue, we had no problems without it, but if you are going on a saturday or sunday I would consider it. But if it is a weekday and you get there at opening I think you should be fine.
It's not so much that we don't think that we can fill in a full day or two at Sea World, it's that we don't have a lot of extra time to squeeze it in this trip. SeaWorld has been on my must see list for a long time and I would hate to miss the opportunity to go...especially while it's no additional cost. I guess that I would look at this as a sampling of SeaWorld's best and if my family falls in love with the park we'll designate more time next year to fully explore. We're definitely interested in shows, but if given the choice I know my two boys would be all about the extreme coasters. Perhaps I can do one show and one exhibit. What would you say is the not to be missed show and exhibit?

Either Dolphin Days or One Ocean (orcas) would be my choice for a show.

Take a look at their website to get an idea of which exhibit(s) are of most interest. That said, I really liked the manatee / Sea turtle area, wild arctic, and the shark exhibit. You'll already see dolphins at DC.

If you are visiting with limited time, here would be my suggestions:

1. For shows, Dolphin Days (dolphins), One Ocean (killer whales) and Sea Lion High (pinnipeds) are the best of the best. Ideally, I'd say make sure you catch all three, but if that's not possible, do what you can to see at least 2. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Dolphin Days is my personal favorite.

2. For exhibits, I would recommend seeing the penguins (you can choose to ride the ride or take a pass and just do the walking tour, whatever you prefer), Shark Encounter, Pacific Point Preserve (sea lions and seals), and Sting Ray Lagoon. Plan to spend $10 and purchase food to feed the sea lions, sharks and sting rays (food is $5 per tray or 3/$10).....it's great fun.

3. If you can arrive at park opening, you'll get quite a bit done before the crowds hit. Do the big coasters first. Manta opens right away. I'm not sure about summertime, but Kraken (as well as Journey to Atlantis) doesn't open until 1 hour after park opening in May and October when we visit. I think Mako might be the same. If maximizing rides is a priority, you may want to consider purchasing Quick Queue for your boys when you have limited time to squeeze in attractions.

4. Depending on the weight distribution in your boat (and where you are seated), you can sometimes get quite wet on Journey to Atlantis. Just keep that in mind if you make it one of the first things that you do.

5. The baby walruses are sometimes on exhibit at Wild Artic.....and they are SO CUTE. When they are not on exhibit, you can watch them live on the walrus cam. Worth a stop if you have the opportunity.

6. Definitely try to allow as MUCH time for the park as you can.....there is a ton to see and do. Even the 'minor' highlights....like the aquariums at Manta and Journey to Atlantis....are well worth your time.

Must do:
Manta, Mako, Kraken, Journey to Atlantis.

I can easily fill several days at Sea World but I would make sure to hit these up and then see where the rest of your short day takes you.

Everything at seaworld is a MUST DO in my opinion, so anything you pick will be great.

Make sure to pick up a map when you arrive. It will list all the show times.

They also have a childrens play area.

Another vote for One Ocean. We also did the Ocean Discovery show. I really wanted to see the orcas and I'm so glad we did. They are beautiful.

Everything at seaworld is a MUST DO in my opinion, so anything you pick will be great.

Make sure to pick up a map when you arrive. It will list all the show times.

They also have a childrens play area.

Happy Harbor is under construction at the moment (as it's being rethemed to Sesame Street)

Another vote for One Ocean. We also did the Ocean Discovery show. I really wanted to see the orcas and I'm so glad we did. They are beautiful.

Ocean Discovery won't be back until the fall (it only shows during the school season)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!